Bluegrass in Drum Corps

If we are classifying his music, rather than his instrument, Fleck's work has (since the late 80's) evolved to the point where it generally does not fit within the bluegrass box. He has tended to play music that, for the banjo, is non-traditional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bela_Fleck

As for the main topic, I could see pit arrangers having lots of fun with traditional bluegrass, plenty of notes and fast runs. For brass, there are bluegrass ballads out there that (with the right arranger) would work.

I tend to agree a little bit with Bela, and I kind of think the stuff he's doing is pretty much his own genre for the most part!

I agree with you about the pit stuff, and there is a TON of literature out there for cool percussion ensemble literature. Tap Space has a few cool Bela Fleck tunes that make arrangements for a contemporary concert percussion ensemble.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the guys in Union Station were heavily involved in doing the soundtrack for "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou."

Just to elaborate, the Soggy Bottom Boys' song, Man Of Constant Sorrow, was sung by Dan Tyminksi (member of Union Station). But the song itself is about as old as time. The exact authorship is not definitive, but it has been around since at least 1913.

I've got some more suggestions to make, but no time right now.

I think if I saw any corps perform Salty Dog, or Flowers on the Wall, or Ruby, I'd cry...

My dad has been in a bluegrass band for 40 years, and it's warped me considerably...

And, should any corps choose to do Bluegrass, their DM absolutely MUST wear a set of "Billy Bob teeth" and smile to the crowd! :tongue:

I actually once suggested that an entire snare line wear those redneck teeth, and at a point in the show when the execution judge was right in front of them....they all smile at him together! Didn't happen, but I still bet the judge woulda lost it, right there! :tongue: