Marion Cadets

Leave it to Drum Corps Planet to criticize the production value rather than the content. :thumbup:

What Jim stated earlier, putting yourself in the eyes of those not familiar with either drum corps or the corps in question here makes it really difficult to understand exactly what this particular production is about, especially with the number of distractions the video offers.

I know the situation at hand and have already expressed my opinion on the matter earlier in this thread.

But, you can do a lot more for less money now and days and still be able to put together a professional looking presentation... which in this particular case, would be key to getting the "content" across to a larger audience... in this case, the people of Marion, OH.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching both of this guys videos on Marion. I have to agree that the videos them self, suck. (IMO) I think some high school video crews could do better. The second video is better than the first, but not by much. I really don't want to bash him too much though, because at least he's talking about Marion Cadets. At least he's trying to find out what is going on, which is more then most people.

There was an interesting story in the July issue of Readers Digest about how we have become a "guilty until proved innocent" society rather than an "innocent until proven guilty" one. It seems everyone is automatically siding against the Marion Cadets with mostly one side of the story and not all the facts. And before someone says it, I realize that the Cadets haven't exactly been chatter boxes about this situation so it's not really that hard to side against them. Just sayin'. I personally have no opinion on the matter because I have not heard all the facts from both sides.

There was an interesting story in the July issue of Readers Digest about how we have become a "guilty until proved innocent" society rather than an "innocent until proven guilty" one. It seems everyone is automatically siding against the Marion Cadets with mostly one side of the story and not all the facts. And before someone says it, I realize that the Cadets haven't exactly been chatter boxes about this situation so it's not really that hard to side against them. Just sayin'. I personally have no opinion on the matter because I have not heard all the facts from both sides.

[/quote

They will not talk about it to anyone witch if they had nothing to hide you would think they would be screeming.I am the one that started everything in the newspaper and everything is true.I spent 10 yrs in Canton and i know how a drum corps operates and this is wrong.

Carl Gannon

They will not talk about it to anyone witch if they had nothing to hide you would think they would be screeming.I am the one that started everything in the newspaper and everything is true.I spent 10 yrs in Canton and i know how a drum corps operates and this is wrong.

Carl Gannon

I agree with you Carl. However, it seems that everyone here has convicted them without a fair trial, so to speak. There's people on here who are saying that the Director and/or the BOD should be fired and/or sent to jail. I'd say that's deciding "guilty until proven innocent". It seems the only one here who I assume really knows what is going on is Carl. Maybe we should all be a little more open minded and leave the assumptions out of it. From all that I've heard and read, I tend to side with Carl, but I'm open minded enough to not decide until hearing both sides. I would hate to convict anyone and then find out later he/they were completely innocent.

I agree with you Carl. However, it seems that everyone here has convicted them without a fair trial, so to speak. There's people on here who are saying that the Director and/or the BOD should be fired and/or sent to jail. I'd say that's deciding "guilty until proven innocent". It seems the only one here who I assume really knows what is going on is Carl. Maybe we should all be a little more open minded and leave the assumptions out of it. From all that I've heard and read, I tend to side with Carl, but I'm open minded enough to not decide until hearing both sides. I would hate to convict anyone and then find out later he/they were completely innocent.

There was an article not too long ago that gave another side of the story... didn't receive much favoritism here however...

Serious Question,...........would you say that the community of Marion and the corps itself would be better served if the director and his staff/board relinquish control of the non profit to others who could do a better job, or at least give it a go?

Why is the current admin not willing?

The part that concerns me the most is that it would appear the current admin is unwilling to realize that non profits do not exist at the pleasure of the folks in charge, they are supposed to operate (sort of) in the public trust, and the organization is not theirs to have and to hold,.........

Certainly the corps itself would be better off. There would be a corps. Currently, the board seems to have no motivation to field a corps and takes no action in that direction. There is absolutely no proof of any rehearsals, recruiting or a staff. What there is existing....fundraising via bingo. But the funds are used....how? Maintain the building? Needed but not the only thing they should be doing. Paying the board/staff? Needed but not the only thing they should be doing. Buying rental properties as investments, then hiring the board president to do the rentals and maintenance? You be the judge.

How would the community be better off? Well, if there WERE a corps, and local students had the opportunity to be involved in this activity, we all would agree that the community would be better off. The community would have a performing group. Possibly the group would present a contest, enhancing the offering to the community.

All this would be realized....if the current administration were serious about fielding a corps.

However, there is no evidence pointing to that. There is evidence that there is no recruiting. There is evidence that there is no organization to minister to the needs of students. There is evidence that there is no motion towards a corps...or any activity. Only the annual post on a website of non existant events and tours.

And the reason that those of us in the drum corps community should care is that this puts a very bad stain on the image of drum corps. No one should allow fraud.

If you were a community member, or a legislator, and all you knew of "drum corps" were the Marion Cadets of 2004-2008...what would you think? Would you be supportive of the activity? Would you be inclined to help them or another group?

Certainly the corps itself would be better off. There would be a corps. Currently, the board seems to have no motivation to field a corps and takes no action in that direction. There is absolutely no proof of any rehearsals, recruiting or a staff. What there is existing....fundraising via bingo. But the funds are used....how? Maintain the building? Needed but not the only thing they should be doing. Paying the board/staff? Needed but not the only thing they should be doing. Buying rental properties as investments, then hiring the board president to do the rentals and maintenance? You be the judge.

How would the community be better off? Well, if there WERE a corps, and local students had the opportunity to be involved in this activity, we all would agree that the community would be better off. The community would have a performing group. Possibly the group would present a contest, enhancing the offering to the community.

All this would be realized....if the current administration were serious about fielding a corps.

However, there is no evidence pointing to that. There is evidence that there is no recruiting. There is evidence that there is no organization to minister to the needs of students. There is evidence that there is no motion towards a corps...or any activity. Only the annual post on a website of non existant events and tours.

And the reason that those of us in the drum corps community should care is that this puts a very bad stain on the image of drum corps. No one should allow fraud.

If you were a community member, or a legislator, and all you knew of "drum corps" were the Marion Cadets of 2004-2008...what would you think? Would you be supportive of the activity? Would you be inclined to help them or another group?

Great points and everyone should be calling the Marion Star,Mayor's office tv 22 in support of making them show proof of what they claim they have done.You can yell all you want in your home town but others from out of town speak up then they take notice.

• 4 weeks later...
there is no way I can believe that they can't get high school students from around the area to participate...

High schools in the area...

Marion Harding---huge division 1 school

Marion Catholic

Ridgedale

River V ...

That is 31 high schools...in either Marion County, or counties DIRECTLY ADJACENT to Marion county...If you could just get 3..that's right...3 kids from each school, that's over 90 corps members!

I'm sure the situation has changed over the past thirty+ years, but as someone who attended Marion Harding and also marched with the Cadets ('74-'76). In those days the band director at Harding was anti-Drum Corps. I may have been the only person at the time from the Harding HS band who marched with the Corps. After the first season, I left band and played in the orchestra while continuing to march with the Cadets.

We did have a couple of people from Ohio University (Athens) that marched at the time I was there.

In regards to support from the city of Marion, it seemed at the time I was marching, that Marion opened all the stops for the US Open but did not do much of anything in support of the Cadets.

I'm sure the situation has changed over the past thirty+ years, but as someone who attended Marion Harding and also marched with the Cadets ('74-'76). In those days the band director at Harding was anti-Drum Corps. I may have been the only person at the time from the Harding HS band who marched with the Corps. After the first season, I left band and played in the orchestra while continuing to march with the Cadets.

We did have a couple of people from Ohio University (Athens) that marched at the time I was there.

In regards to support from the city of Marion, it seemed at the time I was marching, that Marion opened all the stops for the US Open but did not do much of anything in support of the Cadets.

There were also members from Ohio State and Wright State in Dayton in that era. There was also some guy from a Greenhouse in Dayton that played drums.

BTW- Ain't no way the Glassmen beat Marion in '74.

Jim Richards