Marion Cadets

what is the whole point of this organization even existing?

Therein lies the question.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except 74 and 75. The Glassmen won those years

I don't mean to sound harsh, but did Marion compete at state championships in 74? I can't find any direct scores from that year, but it seems Marion was much better. 1975 I can understand, but I don't think the Glassmen beat Marion in 74. Didn't Marion lose the state championships one year in the 60's to the Bellfountaine Angels? Then technically the got it back when they merged?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but did Marion compete at state championships in 74? I can't find any direct scores from that year, but it seems Marion was much better. 1975 I can understand, but I don't think the Glassmen beat Marion in 74. Didn't Marion lose the state championships one year in the 60's to the Bellfountaine Angels? Then technically the got it back when they merged?

Yes we lost to the Angles in i think 67.The next time they lost a stae was 77 to the Bluecoats and 74 was a great year making the U.S.Open and the Am Open .We spent a lot of shows trading 1st with Royal Crusaders.

I guess for the sake of fairness, I happened upon this rebuttle to other article posted at the beginning of this thread. Please note that I'm not taking sides, just wanted to post this.

http://www.marionstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...ION03/804120306

I'm sorry, but this response is nothing but excuses running in circles. This person complains that alumni don't help out, then concludes stating that the BoD are all made up of MC Alumnus...

They talk about a director who has had the same pay for the past 10 years, yet the job description they give on what the director is supposed to be doing isn't fulling the requirements.

If MC isn't getting the support they need from the community to be both a competitive drum corps and a successful NPO, then they need to take a good step back and ask themselves, "Why?"

An NPO is supposed to be a service to society, not a debt management firm.

OK, Eddie read some things the same way I did so it ain't just me.

What struck me was:

1) Complaints of no local support but then admitting DC isn't a local activity anymore. Also nothing saying what the currect BoD is doing to rebuild local bridges if that is what they want (do they want that?).

2) Large part of response defending the $30 director salary along with listing what the director "does". Not being part of MC I'm not sure if the director is "doing" all the letter claims.

3) Didn't catch that the Bingo/fund raising money is being used to pay off a large backlog of bills. IOW, whatever $$$$ is coming in is just paying the current bills of beoing a non-corps or there is a surplus somewhere.

4) And the MAIN thing... I do NOT see any forward progress on getting the corps back....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

In no way shape or form are you being harsh and please do not take my reply as harsh or disrespectful. Nothing but love for Marion, Now. :tongue: I can not tell you for sure if Marion was at state in 74. All I know for sure is that we won State in 74 and 75. Marion may have been beter then us. Marion was Open Class and we were Class A. You had money and the members. We had little money and under 100 members. You had nice buses. We had Yellow School buses. But when we went head to head at State we happened to be better that day. And heres why. Our goal for the season was not to win the US Open or DCI. Our goal was to beat Marion,Period. Needless to say Marion and the Glassmen had little love for each other back in the day. I was told 4 or 5 years ago when Marion still had a Corps the Glassmen were sending those that did not make the Corps to Marion. If they went or not is another question.

It saddens me to see what is happening in Marion right now. No wonder there is little community support. Look at all the mudslinging going on in the local paper and on DCP. If this mudslinging does not stop, no one wins. It is clear to me that both sides are talking. Yet the problem is, they are talking at each other, not with each other. I read in the article somwhere about an open forum and no one came. Well here is another chance to have that forum. If no one has anything to hide and both sides have the same goal. Which is reaching and teaching youth around the local area. Right? Then why not have the open forum right here on DCP? Something must be done and soon. If this war in words does not stop, the only real loosers will be the youth of the local area. And I am sure that both sides do not want that to happen. You see there is common ground.

I see there are some Bluecoats Alum on here. Well I was reading your history on the wedsite and I came across something very interesting that I would like to clear up. The Bluecoats claim that they were the first Ohio Corps to make DCI Finals. Yes and no. The Bluecoats were indeed the first Ohio Corps to make Open Class Finals. But the fact is the Glassmen were the first Ohio Corps to make a DCI Finals, Be it Open Class or Class A. We placed 5th at the first ever DCI Class A Finals in 1975. Just saying. :thumbup:

I see there are some Bluecoats Alum on here. Well I was reading your history on the wedsite and I came across something very interesting that I would like to clear up. The Bluecoats claim that they were the first Ohio Corps to make DCI Finals. Yes and no. The Bluecoats were indeed the first Ohio Corps to make Open Class Finals. But the fact is the Glassmen were the first Ohio Corps to make a DCI Finals, Be it Open Class or Class A. We placed 5th at the first ever DCI Class A Finals in 1975. Just saying. :tongue:

Good point. Unfortunately it seems only Open Class / Division I / World Class matters to people. I tried really hard NOT to make that sound bad. I hope I succeeded.

In no way shape or form are you being harsh and please do not take my reply as harsh or disrespectful. Nothing but love for Marion, Now. :tongue: I can not tell you for sure if Marion was at state in 74. All I know for sure is that we won State in 74 and 75. Marion may have been beter then us. Marion was Open Class and we were Class A. You had money and the members. We had little money and under 100 members. You had nice buses. We had Yellow School buses. But when we went head to head at State we happened to be better that day. And heres why. Our goal for the season was not to win the US Open or DCI. Our goal was to beat Marion,Period. Needless to say Marion and the Glassmen had little love for each other back in the day. I was told 4 or 5 years ago when Marion still had a Corps the Glassmen were sending those that did not make the Corps to Marion. If they went or not is another question.

It saddens me to see what is happening in Marion right now. No wonder there is little community support. Look at all the mudslinging going on in the local paper and on DCP. If this mudslinging does not stop, no one wins. It is clear to me that both sides are talking. Yet the problem is, they are talking at each other, not with each other. I read in the article somwhere about an open forum and no one came. Well here is another chance to have that forum. If no one has anything to hide and both sides have the same goal. Which is reaching and teaching youth around the local area. Right? Then why not have the open forum right here on DCP? Something must be done and soon. If this war in words does not stop, the only real loosers will be the youth of the local area. And I am sure that both sides do not want that to happen. You see there is common ground.

I see there are some Bluecoats Alum on here. Well I was reading your history on the wedsite and I came across something very interesting that I would like to clear up. The Bluecoats claim that they were the first Ohio Corps to make DCI Finals. Yes and no. The Bluecoats were indeed the first Ohio Corps to make Open Class Finals. But the fact is the Glassmen were the first Ohio Corps to make a DCI Finals, Be it Open Class or Class A. We placed 5th at the first ever DCI Class A Finals in 1975. Just saying. :thumbup:

The stall is only one sided.A local tv station tv 22 has offered to host the forum but the Cadets will not return any calls.They did talk to the director once and he refused to talk.If you go to tv22@marionohio.tv you can pull up the interview with myself and they will be airing another one soon.It's like the one reporter said if they have nothing to hide you would think they would want to tell their side.Also the youth is not suffering a independent drum line has been started called E.O.R Essence of Rythm with kids already practicing and they are local kids that Marion claims they can't recruite.

Carl