Change of heart

Scouts 98, Devils 02

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2004 SCV

Semi-long story. I saw Scharazade in San Antonio in 2004 and was very underwhelmed. When I was at the airport for my flight to Denver for finals, I ran into the parents of one of my son's friends from high school band. They said that she was marching SCV and I was really cautious about what to say about their show. Then, I saw the show at quarters and LOVED it! I never saw them (or their daughter) again to brag on what a great job she and her corps did. Boy, do I regret that airport conversation.

Shows that I didn't enjoy until well after I had my chance to really give it up for them (or I never had the chance):

BD 2001 - I admit, I'm usually a bit cold on BD shows during the season - and then get to really really appreciate what they're doing once I watch the videos over and over. They just have so much going on (and I really think they look better close up on video - not a knock on their forms, just my opinion). A great example is BD 01. I remember sitting in the stands during finals week thinking, "Wow, that is the cleanest thing ever, I know I should be impressed, but it's not dong anything for me." Later on, I got the Inside Blue Devils 2001 DVD (yes, I spend money occasionally), and really got into the show. Now, I view it as an example of just how clean an incredibly demanding show can get (they just make it look that easy).

SCV 03, Cavaliers 03 - Maybe it was the competitive side of me - but I just didn't care for SCV 03 or Cavaliers 03 during the season (yeah, I know it was the competitive side of me, lol). However, now SCV 03 is one of my favorite shows from that season - absolutely incredible organization performing a very enjoyable yet incredibly demanding show. Same goes for Cavaliers 03 - I prefer that offering 10-fold over the 01-02 shows. Though I don't necessarily agree with their wind symphony philosophy - I will not deny that they performed the heck out of a really well designed show.

Those are a few off the top of my head...

Phantom 1996...I didn't like the show at all when I first heard it, but I like it a lot now :dancin:

2005 Regiment, 2006 BD, and especially 2007 BD. I was very upset at Finals this past year at the idea of BD winning it all, now I absolutely love the show! BD tends to do that to me. Also, 2002 SCV and BK 2007.

04 SCV- Saw it in Troy, Alabama and I hated it, then I saw it at finals from pretty high up and I fell in love with it.

04 Cavaliers - I saw them at Oswego, Illinois. Oswego is the very first show of the year. If you were to watch the show they put on that night and tell me they would be world champions, I would have laughed at you. There were people falling over each other. I called my mom that night after the show when we were on our way to our 2nd show (Toledo, Ohio) and I said, "THEY EFFING WHISTLED DURING THE SHOW!" and laughed. I saw them as the year progressed and I saw the changes they made and it was amazing to see. To see what Cavaliers put on for the first show and what they put on for the last show is one of the coolest things to see in my drum corps life. I learned at finals that night, the work you do for drum corps is for ONE night. The final show you put on. In high school, it's about each show you march. In drum corps, it's about your final show and product.

04 SCV- Saw it in Troy, Alabama and I hated it, then I saw it at finals from pretty high up and I fell in love with it.

04 Cavaliers - I saw them at Oswego, Illinois. Oswego is the very first show of the year. If you were to watch the show they put on that night and tell me they would be world champions, I would have laughed at you. There were people falling over each other. I called my mom that night after the show when we were on our way to our 2nd show (Toledo, Ohio) and I said, "THEY EFFING WHISTLED DURING THE SHOW!" and laughed. I saw them as the year progressed and I saw the changes they made and it was amazing to see. To see what Cavaliers put on for the first show and what they put on for the last show is one of the coolest things to see in my drum corps life. I learned at finals that night, the work you do for drum corps is for ONE night. The final show you put on. In high school, it's about each show you march. In drum corps, it's about your final show and product.

SCV 2004 was a show that seemed like it wouldn't have been anywhere near as enjoyable if the corps hadn't "sold it" as well as they did. Much of the time that kind of thing doesn't show up until near finals week, if not on finals night itself.

Cadets 2007

Well, THAT didn't take long!

For me, it would have to be 1985 Phantom Regiment. I didn't appreciate it until after the end of the 1989 DCI season. In fact, I felt that way about that CORPS. It took them playing "From the New World" and almost winning for me to look back at their prior offerings since I had become a DCI fan (1985). The show that changed most in my mind was their '85 "Symphony Fantastique" show. (Then, I got into the original Berlioz symphony - still one of my favorites!)