Very sad news

It's great that Bugles across America is providing this service but since this young man was an active duty Marine he should already have a full honor guard provided by the US Navy or Marine Corps - complete with a bugler.

When I was in the Air Force back in 1998, even then we were short of buglers for funerals and that was before the new requirements passed for the expansion of the full Honor Guards.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael, will you be posting the details of the Memorial Service in 29 Palms once they are available?

Thanks

Michael, will you be posting the details of the Memorial Service in 29 Palms once they are available?

Thanks

As soon as I hear the arrangements from his mom, I'll post it.

Does anyone know if the bugler has been lined up? If not, I'll volunteer...as a BD alum, I kind of feel the need.

It has for the St. Louis burial. I don't know about the Twentynine Palms memorial service. Contact Tom Day of Bugles Across America at TomJDay@sbcglobal.net.

Demonstrating the meaning of being a champion

The link above is to the article written about one of the most special things I've ever witnessed in all my years of being involved with drum corps.

Sadly, I learned today that Jack Kenner, one of the Marines that Blue Devils so graciously welcomed on the field after their win in Pasadena, was killed this past Saturday in a motorcycle accident stateside after safely returning from his second tour of Iraq. The news came via his mother, Terrie Hobson, who was also in Pasadena. Jack, his buddy Lance and his mom Terrie were all in Pasadena courtesy of Bill Streit, a drum corps fan.

This is a terrible development, and it makes the gesture Blue Devils provided to the Marines all the more meaningful. Terri mentioned in her note about Jack's death that Pasadena was "a warm and loving going away 'Iraq deployment' outing for him."

The memorial service has yet to be set, but it will be at Twentynine Palms. Jack will be buried in Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis.

Very, very sad.

I'm also sorry to hear this news.

I had a similar experience, but with a better outcome. My brother survived 13 months in Viet Nam only to get broadsided on a city street in Huntington Beach while riding a motorcycle. He ended up in a dairy pasture (they still had those in HB bck then!) looking at his right ankle. Fortunately the accident took place very close to a hospital.

He survived the surgery, rehabbed back to being able to walk, but had to take a medical retirement. For a guy who had been the black sheep of the family and had found direction and purpose in the US Army, this ended his career.

He still limps a bit, but on good days can still go deer hunting in the Idaho panhandle where he's lived for the past 25 years.

Obviously this story has a much happier ending, but it still makes you shake your head considering what they've survived and how they are casualties on the home front.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Thanks

Okay, I JUST received the following from Jack's mother.

<<Michael,

First, I want to thank all those who have shown so much care and support in the passing of my son and provide some information for those who requested Jack's funeral and burial information;

Kutis South

Lemay Ferry Rd

off 55 / Butler Hill Rd

May 26, Monday viewing 7-9p

May 27, Tuesday viewing 9a-12, service to follow at 1pm, then burial at

Jefferson Barrack's National Memorial Cemetary

With loving regards, Terrie Hobson>>

wow. The viewing is on Memorial Day. Very fitting.

God bless, Jack.

With love,

Mav