44th Annual Drum Corps Grand Prix

donincardona asked:

"just for some trivia...........does anyone know who won the first grand prix? and no looking on the corps reps or senior history site."

The first Grand Prix was a junior and senior show, held in Hinchliffe Stadium in Paterson, NJ, in 1965. Senior winner was your own Rochester Crusaders, and I believe the junior winner may have been St. Lucy's Cadets, though I am not totally sure about that.

Didn't look it up -- I was there as a spectator.

Hey Smitty,

I was there as well. Performing with the junior exhibition corps, the Hawthorne Muchachoes. I was a rookie and it was my first big show with them.

The stadium was packed. I think two thirds of whom were all my Italian relatives who only lived a short block away..LOL I though I was going to pass out I was so nervous. I remember the Rochester Grey Knights because they had the only other timbale player that I was aware of at the time except for Hawthorne. He was as good a player as Bobby and I was fortunate to have had a chance to speak with him after the show. I have fond memories of Hinchliffe. Having grown up only 3 blocks away it was the venue that introduced me to drum corps having seen Hawthorne for the first time there in 1959 / 60'.

Vince

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic