1986 Garfield Cadets

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I marched Cadets that year. It was a very tough year. First off, trying to win 4 in a row was basically impossible. There was major staff turnover. We had a VERY slow start and did not even have uniforms for the first few shows. There were MAJOR rewrites during tour. The show/music actually changed a few times up until March?.

Oh yeah, and then there was that Blue Devil monster :tongue:

Spirit of Atlanta for 4th. They were in 5th and a tenth behind Cadets at Semis.

Oh yeah... BD's hornline was unholy that season. unholy...

That was a fun year for Spirit fans. They were poised for a 3rd place finish at Championships, as they had beaten every corps multiple times with the exception of the 2 from the West. But, in the end, Cavies, Suncoast, and Cadets edged them out for 3rd, 4th, and 5th. It was a tight little pack though. And the way scores and placement were all over the place in the final weeks, anything was possible within the 3rd to 7th place pack.

I marched Cadets that year. It was a very tough year. First off, trying to win 4 in a row was basically impossible. There was major staff turnover. We had a VERY slow start and did not even have uniforms for the first few shows. There were MAJOR rewrites during tour. The show/music actually changed a few times up until March?.

Oh yeah, and then there was that Blue Devil monster :tongue:

No kidding, what didn't get re-written?

That was a fun year for Spirit fans. They were poised for a 3rd place finish at Championships, as they had beaten every corps multiple times with the exception of the 2 from the West. But, in the end, Cavies, Suncoast, and Cadets edged them out for 3rd, 4th, and 5th. It was a tight little pack though. And the way scores and placement were all over the place in the final weeks, anything was possible within the 3rd to 7th place pack.

i talked to a couple of blue devils vets who said spirit was the one corps that scared them that year.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but it was an interesting year.

We lost a boatload of veterans from '85. And '85 was far and away the most talented hornline I marched with. From their champion year of '84, there were only 22 horn spots for '85. It was tight. Onto '86, I think we had almost 50 new horn members. So there were lots of rookies. And some who had left after '85 were HUGE veterans who were the heart and soul of the corps. People who had marched since '80 and '81, coming from the bottom of the top twelve to world champions. These were special people. Of course, the drum line was always terrific. But with only 12 in the guard, we knew GE was going to be down. In '86 we also lost Zingali and Sylvester to Star for the year. And I think there was kind of a defeatist attitude, "There's no way they are going to let us win 4 times in a row, so let's just go out on a limb, do something different and creative and be memorable for trying something new. Let the chips fall where they may." Remember, '83 through '85 was the first three-peat. It was a huge deal when it happened.

It was a good year, a gut-check year, because I think we all knew that another championship was a long shot. New staff, new direction, new potential placement. We had to find out how to be Cadets, to maintain the quality that was the Cadets. And I think we did, because alot of us were there for '87 as well.

I don't know given all that we were, that anything we could do would have made us place any higher. I think we were a 4th place corps.

Because I was so lucky to be part of that corps, I don't look at any one year more fondly than others. There were all good for their own reasons. '86 was a good year.

I was in the 86 snare line, and I agree with your post.

It was an incredible and rewarding year, but I don't think anyone was going to knock off Blue Devils that year. On the Waterfront was GENIUS ... but the second half of our show was not quite up to that level. In any event ... I have nothing but great memories from that summer, and it was an invaluable learning experience.

Garfield did The statue of Liberty thing that year also. I remember talking to some of the members that year and you took a beating doing that. Iliked the show that year. Must be nice to have an off year in come in 4th

Garfield did The statue of Liberty thing that year also. I remember talking to some of the members that year and you took a beating doing that. Iliked the show that year. Must be nice to have an off year in come in 4th

Very true on the Statue thing. It took away alot of rehersal time and yes, it did beat us up pretty bad. Logistics were tough.

No, because it's about the Cadets, so of course a topic about a 1986 Cadets show is still relevant. If, however, this had been a topic about the 1993 Madison Scouts, it would be moved in a heartbeat. :thumbup:

Am I missing something? We're in the Historical forum. Or did you just see the name "Cadets" and start bashing?

Fred O.