Yesterday PR - Today Scouts

A buddy of mine that marched Scouts '02,03,05,06, and I went and watched PR for about 3 1/2 hrs. last night. Today I'm going to watch Scouts all day.

I'll post a complete report. Unbiased. No b.s. No "they're so much better now than at this point a year ago."

A few thoughts on PR before I go.

Drum line was 9/4/4 - no plates. I'm sure they were missing a bass, and maybe a tenor. I'm not a drummer, so take this for what it's worth. They are using Dynasty drums. I like the sound of the tenors, but they aren't what you'd call an even "good" sounding snare.

King horns. Horn line was in a circle - 24 sops, 16 contras were the only solid numbers I could get.

Spartacus on roids is a term I've read, and I'd agree. Show starts out with some incredibly hard double tounge licks by the sops. Very cool, but perfect lick to get watered down the line.

That's all I've got time for. Off to Baraboo. More later.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two questions-

What color were the drums?

Was a bass missing? (edit: just re-read this post.....I'm stupid :whip: )

Edited by Huntington Mallets

Also if you could get some pics at Madison's camp that'd be cool

thanks for the update! :whip:

Edited by Huntington Mallets

He was going to bring his camera to Baraboo today.

They are using Dynasty drums. I like the sound of the tenors, but they aren't what you'd call an even "good" sounding snare.

Of course it is only the start of move ins but i'll have to wait and hear for myself. I know Paul Rennick has been working with Dynasty on making changes to all of their drums to improve their sound quality. I'm looking forward to hear a different snare sound than I'm used to hearing out of them this year.

I'm looking forward to hear a different snare sound than I'm used to hearing out of them this year.

What snare sound????? :whip:

They sounded more like boards than snare drums in the past. The sound quality can only improve.

I talked to a friend of mine in the Scouts snareline today. He said that they are playing an old Blue Devil warm-up that hasn't been played since '99. He told me the name of it, but I can't remember :whip: . He said it was pretty sweet though.

I talked to a friend of mine in the Scouts snareline today. He said that they are playing an old Blue Devil warm-up that hasn't been played since '99. He told me the name of it, but I can't remember :whip: . He said it was pretty sweet though.

13th Hour?

Just back from Baraboo.

PR's drum color? Don't know. They had covers on.

No pictures. Sorry.

Today was first day of everydays for the Scouts. Many people were still missing. People still in high school, college finals, graduation etc...... Some staff hadn't been there yet.

Horn line did visual after lunch so I watched the drumline practice. 9/4/5/6 is the line. Jeff Spanos said they still may add a tenor. The other 4 are returning vets. Also the Yamaha snares sound great. They're also getting new ones this year. Cranberry. I can't wait to see them.

I met some staff I hadn't met before, and Debbie the cook who invited me to eat supper with them, which was very nice.

The horn line is at 72, the front line is at around 12. 27 in the guard. I don't know is these are final numbers, but what I was told by staff.

Then ensemble. I think they were running the 2nd tune. Some new stuff that was being played together for the first time. A sop solo with some wierd meter changes. It was pretty rough, but only day one. I was surprised though.

Attitudes were great. Guys were having fun. I heard some great stories.

I'll post some more on Sunday.