Woodwind to Brass players

Jeremy Emerson

Which brass instrument did you switch to, to march corps?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which brass instrument did you switch to, to march corps?

• Trumpet/Soprano
    • Baritone
    • Euphonium
    • Tuba/Contra

I majored in percussion in college, but played bari sax in my HS concert and jazz bands.

Played in the Cadets percussion section the first two years, and since I had brass class coming up the next fall, switched to baritone for my last year.

Mike, Cadets 70-72

• 2 weeks later...
I played clarinet in high school (I know, I know...)...

Thanks Dave, that clears a lot of things up... heh! b**bs

BTW, Gary Butera and Ken Serra (SCV DM's in '88) were BOTH former clarinet players...

Edited by JimmySCV

got to love that one Dave......

I switched from drums to brass in high school so I could sit next to my boyfriend in concert band.... :whip:

I was such a geek! but now I get to play bari in the Renegades so it was so worth it.

clarinet huh?.....hmmmmmm

kimela

Clarinet and sax player in high school.

I didn't switch, though. I learned a new instrument (sop / mello) while maintaining the other two. Site-reading my clarinet books definitely helped on the brass playing.

Can't say that I switched over myself... but my sister has gone from Clarinet to Baritone, she had also been offered an Alto spot with Spirit in 2001 fairly early in the season, but had to decline due to her knee problems.

clarinet -> trumpet for Magic auditions, didn't make it......switched to mellophone for marching band and Memphis Sound this year

I think the majority of those who switched have been from saxophone... at leasts that's what i gather from this thread. That's interesting. I switched from saxophone to tuba my junior year of high school because my director needed more tubas for the marching band. I ended up marching with Revolution the following summer. I kept playing tuba in the off season, eventually went on to college, did a semester as a sax player and then made a decision to stick with the tuba... never looked back.