Learning parts!

jalbac

Practice memorizing it while learning it. Take it a measure or phrase at a time. I used to have music memorized at the camp when the music was handed out in my jr. corps days. I simply took it a phrase at a time while we were learning it and had it memorized for ensemble that evening. I would have the music out to refer to, but other than that I was set for the season.

I think too many people get psyched out about memorizing music. You are playing the reps anyway, so just get in the habit of averting the eyes while playing it on the stands....

hey guys

They way I learn and memorize parts is to practice. Haha, sounds dumb.. but, it all starts the day after camp.. and goes all the way till the friday night of camp. I designate a few days per one song.. get it down and then move on. The Thurs/Friday before camps are just usually review days. Listening to the midi files before and after practice also helps.. but, not with style...

Tony

I think everyone has their own particular way or memorizing music. Measure by meausre, listening to tracks, etc.

But I think what works well for this activity is to as you begin to set the music to mind and body (intellectual and muscule memory) understand the phrasing. If drill is staged well (set to musical phrases) then your phrasing should coordinate with the drill and it will all make sense together on the fields as you learn. Otherwise it's (1) learning drill/staging while (2) remembering phrasing, dynamics, expression, breath issues, etc.

Remember that music is communicative (more than just notes). Hopefully your brass and percussion staff will help you identify phrases, breath, and those communicative ideas that make a corps GREAT.

I find for me that I don't get the music totally memorized until we're on the field putting it to the drill. I keep a reduced copy in my pocket to look over and reference back, but as the chunks of drill keep getting done it helps the memorization go much quicker.

Nothing beats practice practice practice, tho

B)

That method is OK if you play lead soprano but what if you're a Sop-3 or Mello-2. Those parts usually have no melodic line and mostly back-up harmony.

:whip:

I play 3rd sop and do not sight read. I have to hear the part first then I can follow along.

What I do is have someone tape my part so I have a copy. If I can't get a tape, I put my part on the computer with Print Music.

When I have the part down I'll take a full hornline tape and try to play along.

I know I'll get gigged for this but I don't always memorize how many counts a rest is. I just try to listen to all the parts and use musical cues whether they are cues from the hornline or a drumline cue.

That way I don't have to worry about counting out a 4 (or however long) bar rest

The guys at work thought I had some kind of affliction because I was always walking around doing Air fingerings. I had to explain what I was doing. Now when they see me doing it they ask if I got a new part to learn.

I've never had trouble memorizing music; I seem to have a natural talent for it.  I can usually memorize it just by playing it with the ensemble enough times; it becomes a muscle memory thing, I think.  From there I have to work to keep it musical so it doesn't just become rote button-pushing.

Oh I used to be like you, Dave. Now since I'm over 40, the retention skills have diminished somewhat. I now have to spend more time on memorization and I find that some "chunks" are easier to remember than others. And you're right......we memorize MUSIC. Dynamics, articulation markings......etc.

I practice but I also bring my binder to bed and look at my music before I go to sleep. Seemed to help a lot last year when I had two shows to memorize.

It's been MUCH easier this year with only the one. I only have one more chart to get memorized and it's not even finished yet.

Edited by TerriDitt57

thank goodness for the digital age....I use an MP3 of the music from rehersal and put on earplugs and play along. OVER and OVER and OVER. Drive the kids nuts :P but it works. I learn the music so much faster.

Kimela