How to encourage the development of Open Class Corps

Unfortunately the minimum on field count doesn't count all on field members. Technically you could have 2,000 or 9 million members, show up with three or more 777 jets, and still FAIL to meet the 35 minimum. So if you're a small corps with an honor guard equal in size to your corps, you're already using two busses, and still failing to meet the Class A minimum.

It's hard to grow if you're requiring members to pay dues AND buy a Contra ($12K retail). Unless there's some sort of Friends of DCA group that can help smaller corps acquire equipment, I just don't see any rapid growth anytime soon. Especially with most of a corps budget being burned up in the gas tank.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, I was director of a 4th place corps with the winning corps a few blocks away... try that some time... but you know... it wasn't that difficult... each corps decides its own identity and you recruit from there. Amazingly, we rarely recruited the same individuals. The big thing was that Mr. B and I always kept the lines of communications open. We talked often, compared notes and kept sanity in place.

The point is... I've been there, I've done that... recruiting is everything... keeping them after you find them makes the difference between winning and being an also ran.

My solution:

Win 200 million dollars in a Mega-Millions lottery, start a corps and pay everyone to march.

Very simple. :tongue:

Fran

To expand the ranks of Open Class, especially in areas where there is only one, the member corps have to help create their own arch-nemeses.

Sorry to quote myself, buuuut...

Can you imagine the kind of arch-nemesis that the Renegades would create for themselves?

Those are my impressions and observations as well.For the most part.

I suspect in the not so distant future that you will see a split in the activity.The NE block keeping their DCA championships and all the rest having their own circuit/own championship not governed under DCA.

Perhaps DCI and their support for the all age activity that this will happen under their umbrella.

Having grown up in the North East. All I will say Publicly is.

I am OFFENDED, Sadened and hope that YOU will be Happy with the BIG "Ring Chasing" Money people in the "Brass Band Field Theater" Org, of DCI.

Having grown up in the North East. All I will say Publicly is.

I am OFFENDED, Sadened and hope that YOU will be Happy with the BIG "Ring Chasing" Money people in the "Brass Band Field Theater" Org, of DCI.

Well I'm offended too. I'm in a corps, we have a field show. And working to be competitive, with no where to compete. Not even at a championships. There are local shows where we can participate as exhibition. But beyond that we're in the limbo land of just existing.

At times i'm tempted to rent a 15 person HS cheerleading squad to hold a banner in the back field saying Competing, minimum met. I suppose that if they make it do the wave and other things that they qualify as guard.

Well I'm offended too. I'm in a corps, we have a field show. And working to be competitive, with no where to compete. Not even at a championships. There are local shows where we can participate as exhibition. But beyond that we're in the limbo land of just existing.

At times i'm tempted to rent a 15 person HS cheerleading squad to hold a banner in the back field saying Competing, minimum met. I suppose that if they make it do the wave and other things that they qualify as guard.

okay,................how about renting a hornline then,............................sheesh.................or rent that cheer squad and give em flags

Before we get carried away with using the DCA South region as a model of cooperativity, let's look at the experience of one corps from Houston (including this years schedule):

Number of years in competitive existence: 5

Number of DCA South corps at whose shows we appeared: 5

Total number of appearances at DCA South region shows: 12

Number of reciprocating DCA South corps appearances in Houston: 0

Perhaps you should include how the Houston show has been on the same day as other REALLY BIG events in other corps' home towns.

This particular song is getting rather old, dude.

DCI is still very much a necessary evil for us all-agers outside of the Northeast. With only one local top-ten DCA big-dog headliner in my area, we need those DCI junior corps to attract fan$. That is, until DCA truly has the national fan ba$e and as many top-tier corps with fan$ from all over that DCI has...

Sad little side note: DCI and DCA could very well have an equal number of top-tier corps in the near future. The sad part is, it may not be because of DCA expansion and growth but DCI atrophy...