How to encourage the development of Open Class Corps

I think you're on the right track as far as your thought process is concerned. Only problem is that regional shows that feature lower tier competitive corps can wind up operating at loss, financially speaking. We need to find a way to get dollars that can be translated into a sort of research & development budget, funding these initial regions and shows until the activity can take hold there and support itself a little more. But, how do we do it?

Look to Texas and the Middle Country.

Give it a couple/few more years and We will have a pretty good circuit of Corps from the Canadain Border to the Mexican Border and from the Rockies to St. Louis.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look to Texas and the Middle Country.

Give it a couple/few more years and We will have a pretty good circuit of Corps from the Canadain Border to the Mexican Border and from the Rockies to St. Louis.

While we're on this, what would get more corps up here on the other side of that Canadian border?

BTW - that's really great news!

I miss Canadian Corps. I was raised on Canadian Drum Corps. I learned to drink good beer in Canada. (I won't say at what age... BUT! they were more concerned that I had a jacket on rather than age proof) I once "went to HuLL" late one evening and learned that speakeasys weren't limited to just United States prohibition era... but seriously, My youth was riddled with friends from Jolly Jesters, Kingston Grenadiers, Les Troubadours, Les Metropolitains, Les Diplomats, Vics, Smiths Falls Lamplighters, Canadian Commanders, Guelph Royalaires, 2nd Signal, Ambassadors, Kitchener Flying Dutchmen, Niagara Fall Militaires, and many, many more... My first competitive senior season was 1959 and that coincided with the HEIGHT of success of drum corps in Upstate NY, Ontario and Quebec. What was there at the 1959 NY Canadian Championship in Auburn? 105 corps? I believe that was the figure and not one from out of the region... Not a NYC or PA corps to be found... all Upstate NY, Ontario and Quebec.

And now we have just Kingston remaining... can't someone get the word about the dollar parity out there and get back to establishing competitive corps? I know the dollar discount was a killer for many years, but no more... One in Western Lake Ontario region, one in Quebec, one in Ottawa and Kingston would do fine.

Someone go "unretire" Maurice LeGault and get something started...

And now we have just Kingston remaining... can't someone get the word about the dollar parity out there and get back to establishing competitive corps? I know the dollar discount was a killer for many years, but no more... One in Western Lake Ontario region, one in Quebec, one in Ottawa and Kingston would do fine.

Someone go "unretire" Maurice LeGault and get something started...

Heh!

I'm so glad to see Grennies back, and I like your idea for the Western Lake Ontario region (where I live).

There's talk on facebook of St. Johns reforming as DCA but I can't get a firm idea of whether it's a plan of the BOD or just some talk. If true - great! More DCA corps would be fine with me!

Good question Joe....

Most of the full or nearly full open class corps are from the North East. I think it would be great to see some of these corps do at least one trip a year south to shows and then invite not only college but high school musicians and guard members with free or discounted tickets.

I am sure when these prospective musicians/guard see what Open Class corps can do, they might look at them as an alternative to DCI. I have never been to a southern DCA show being from Canada but my image of these shows are that they are mainly represented by the Class A corps. It would be great to see thes Class A corps fill their ranks and possibly move into Open Class. Having a Open Class Corps perform in the South would be the perfect recruiting tool for local Class A units.

Also corps from upper NY state have enjoyed many Canadians over the years filling their ranks. I know many of them who have played in Cru, Brigs & Empire and have had a great time doing so. Southern Ontario and Quebec is an untapped region full of great musicians and many have gone south to march DCI not always aware of DCA.

I know gas is the biggest concern currently but to encourage the development of Class A to Open Class will only happen with recruitment and showcasing what smaller local corps can be like.

Just my thoughts...

no open class in the south????? What about CorpsVets? And Carolina Gold was open class before they took last year off. Don't worry, class A corps will grow when it makes sense for them....membership and infrastructure are both important. It would be a nice problem to have a 128 members overnight but I have a feeling it would be pretty overwhelming.

This may sound like an odd concept, buuuuut... Encourage corps like the CorpsVets, Minnesota Brass, and the Renegades to recruit for the little guys. Stiff competition is a great motivator when it comes to pushing people to do better, and there's plenty of that amongst the Open Class corps in the Northeast. If these Open Class corps truly want to foster the growth of their caliber of corps, I think that it would do them well to send members our way once their own ranks are full. In a sense, these corps can better themselves by giving themselves some better competition.

no open class in the south????? What about CorpsVets? And Carolina Gold was open class before they took last year off. Don't worry, class A corps will grow when it makes sense for them....membership and infrastructure are both important. It would be a nice problem to have a 128 members overnight but I have a feeling it would be pretty overwhelming.

I wouldn't mind having 12, 12, 12 and 1 right now.

I'm pretty comortable with Gulf Coast and Frontier Being our "Big Boys" over here.

From where I'm looking, next will be High Country Brass and Austin Stars as far as growth and competition worthiness.

I have not heard anything from Masquerade.

We at Prairie Sound will do our best to bring a more finished product to the field in 2009.

What ideas does everyone have that could spur the development of more Open Class Corps.

I think we all agree that this is something that needs to be done

WEll first you have to have a lot of small corps become bigger corps.The 35 member rule is restricting the development of the smaller corps to become bigger corps.Some corps are just struggling to keep the doors open much less meet the 35 rule.

Not only does the rule need to be withdrawn but the mentality of the those that voted for it needs to be changed.I don't see that happening any time soon with the current voting members in place.

A "START" in developing open class corps and expanding DCA would be if some of the top 10 corps would help these smaller corps out by attending their home shows thereby giving them some much needed revenue.That would be what I call positive expansion of DCA.Again I don't see that happening in the near future.

SOOOOO,,

With those ideas off the table,,I really don't see much if any developing of open class corps in the near future.

The 35 rule is pretty well set in stone... you have mini corps... up to 21... then field competition if you have at least 35 - which would most likely be Class A and then growth to open class... That's how the corps WANT it to be.

but your second idea is partially happening already and I'm certain will grow further... all the corps are helping each other... the entire attitude is positive to grow the activity... from the day the open member corps voted to share the financial proceeds of the season with every corps that competes in a regular season sanctioned contest - everything has been about growing the activity and helping EVERY corps survive...

Methinks Class A will evolve to open class as intended...

...Assuming that this is the intent of any given Class A corps. Some corps enjoy being small, community-based corps and are very successful at existing, entertaining, and competing within their means. The inherent problem behind setting up the rules so that growth is the only path to success is that some small corps are already successful just the way they are, even if the "bigger is better" people don't recognize that success.

Ultimately, the question can only be answered on a corps-by-corps basis. First, the corps has to want to be in Open Class. Then the staff, talent, members, and resources have to be amassed to get there. So, if Open Class truly wants to expand their ranks, they need to identify which Class A corps have the ambition to grow in size, and then they need to look at each corps that wants to be in Open as a unique case and help them set up the infrastructure to do so.

Just setting up rules that say "bigger is better" and "to be successful is to be like us" and then assuming that everyone will fall into lock-step with that concept and large corps will magically sprout up doesn't seem to be working.