How to encourage the development of Open Class Corps

Answer to that question: No.

I think the tropical storm in 2006 has left a permanent scar on Shadow 7's psyche. :tongue:

Fran

Or maybe it was those bright shirts of yours?

And I guess the answer is no. Since 2006 DCA has been on the other side of the fence from me. Paid thousands of dollars to wear a Kilt as a Texan. And didn't even get so much as a picture for my trouble. And since then, been denied the opportunity to compete in DCA competition because my current local corps fails to meet a 35 minimum. And don't give me that minicorps jive, MCA != DCA, plus Friday is a work day. Nothing that is the current version of DCA says that I can partake without spending thousand(s). With no promise of even getting so much as a picture for my trouble. DCA's fault maybe or maybe not. But it is what it is. Which for me and the past couple of seasons is inaccessible.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, no matter how hard they try, DCA can not be all things to all people.

Or maybe it was those bright shirts of yours?

And I guess the answer is no. Since 2006 DCA has been on the other side of the fence from me. Paid thousands of dollars to wear a Kilt as a Texan. And didn't even get so much as a picture for my trouble. And since then, been denied the opportunity to compete in DCA competition because my current local corps fails to meet a 35 minimum. And don't give me that minicorps jive, MCA != DCA, plus Friday is a work day. Nothing that is the current version of DCA says that I can partake without spending thousand(s). With no promise of even getting so much as a picture for my trouble. DCA's fault maybe or maybe not. But it is what it is. Which for me and the past couple of seasons is inaccessible.

Please, explain how the tropical storm in 2006, and the decision to stop taking pictures that night had anything to do with DCA?

Water + sound equipment, cameras, and video cameras spell instant disaster.

And if it is what it is, why do you need to moan about it for 3 years?

Please, explain how the tropical storm in 2006, and the decision to stop taking pictures that night had anything to do with DCA?

Water + sound equipment, cameras, and video cameras spell instant disaster.

And if it is what it is, why do you need to moan about it for 3 years?

We can take pictures under the ocean, we can even take pictures in space. But we can't take them because it's raining? I understand that not all gear is climitized, and conditions were not optimal. But DCA approved the venders bids. The venders I would assume pass themselves off as professionals. And one would assume that professional photographers could take pictures. Regardless of conditions. But alas nothing has changed. Same venue, same venders, and same weather conditions in 20??. Oh Joy, what a fiasco thread we'll have then. Not that anything can or will be done about the past. But what exactly has changed to improve our future?

We can take pictures under the ocean, we can even take pictures in space. But we can't take them because it's raining? I understand that not all gear is climitized, and conditions were not optimal. But DCA approved the venders bids. The venders I would assume pass themselves off as professionals. And one would assume that professional photographers could take pictures. Regardless of conditions. But alas nothing has changed. Same venue, same venders, and same weather conditions in 20??. Oh Joy, what a fiasco thread we'll have then. Not that anything can or will be done about the past. But what exactly has changed to improve our future?

I suggest just putting that where it belongs, in the past.

Many of jokes and good times can be had be remembering DCA 2006, at least that's how we treat it around here.

And yes we paid money too believe it or not.

One note Samba?

I taught many people how to take photos underwater, but that was the element. This photographer wouldn't expect a photog or videographer to report in with expensive underwater housings for a drum corps gig in Rochester. That would cost even more bucks on a tight budget, adding more to ticket prices...Get the blurry picture?

In 2006's Hurricane Ernesto storm, the rain attacked camera lens at a more acute angle than 45 degrees. (See JohnD's photo from the open-air pressbox and others.) If NBC-TV can't film an average rain at Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade properly, why should we expect a vendor paid on our DCA budget to flip to Captain Nemo mode? Why are we (no, you) still talking about this?

The minnows from the muddy puddles next to the Rochester still photography tiers and the crawdads who did the merengue in the Paetec Park excellent field drainage system are all collectively rolling their eyes.

Many of jokes and good times can be had be remembering DCA 2006, at least that's how we treat it around here.

Agreed. Despite the monsoon, I think a lot of us have great memories from that experience. Prelims at DCA 2006 was the worst performing conditions I have ever seen ... we warmed up in monsoon where you could not feel your hands, and things went downhill from there.

But for us, 06 Prelims in a monsoon represented the perfect cumulation of a season that should never have gotten off the ground ... with no drum line in May, the Renegades faced their darkest days yet, and we got through it somehow, and even remained a DCA Finalist. My fondest memory of that night is members of our drum line screaming at the clouds when the rain was at its hardest ... "Is that all you got???? Bring it on!"

Seeing the full and talented drum line we have now, it's a little hard to believe that chaos all went down only two seasons ago.

Good times. :smile:

ah... so that was it... we had NO idea it was the EVIL curse...

btw, try watching every corps that was there that day, and being outside for a lot of it.

then whine about pictures.

the few fans that did brave the elements, as well as the judges deserve medals.