The 2008 Derby City Knights

Bill Chase and band died in August 1974. The next day, I pulled out all my Chase LPs and played them for hours. I still have those LPs, plus CDs added through the years. Got a wonderful gift of Bill Chase recordings just last year during the DCI Championships.

Chase used to sit on the tour bus and buzz his mouthpiece for hours. What a player!

Thanks DCK for playing Chase and to all others like Renegades who have honored Chase.

Hey Cozy, we have a spot for you if your interested.

Hey Cozy, we have a spot for you if your interested.

I'm honored by the offer. You Louisville cats are so friendly.

During 2007 DCI Pasadena, I stayed on Dream Plachta's boat. Got to visit with Bill Howard, father of BD DM, Brian. All us sop players listened to my new Bill Chase CD for hours. It was odd playing along with Chase with Plachta's pocket trumpet in the marina. Fortunately, no one sank the boat or tossed me overboard.

Those are really cool uniforms, DCK.... especially the Aussie hats!!!

Fran

Tom,

I agree! Had he'd have lived greater things were in store for him. I have to add that it wasn't his entire band, just a few from the new band he put together. The guys that made up the original CHASE are still around. Lyn Biviano was a band member and now is the musical director for the Lawrence Welk Orchestra in Branson. Jim Pterick from Survivor and Ides of March also was in Chase. We did Get It On in HS and kicked butt at a Jazz contest that we won in 1978. I have the studio recording on CD and it could knock any HS Jazz group out today.

Dale, I am surprised that you dislike this tune! Those horn bands of the 70's were amazing (Ides of March, Lighthouse, Chicago, BS&T, Tower of Power, etc).

Bill Chase... THE BEST!!! EVER!!! RIP

"Get it on"... HIS BEST!!!

His work should be mandatory listening for all brass players - lest he be forgotten...

But for the record... Bucs did it best decades ago... actually, it was shortly after the plane crash that they did it... For you young 'uns who don't know... Bill Chase and his entire band died in a plane crash in the 70's.

Tom,

Dale, I am surprised that you dislike this tune! Those horn bands of the 70's were amazing (Ides of March, Lighthouse, Chicago, BS&T, Tower of Power, etc).

...and of course we all remember that Skip Prokop, drummer for Lighthouse (which still does gigs as a band) was a snare with Toronto Optimists 1963, 64...