The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

Cavalier Anniversary Corps. But, yes, it's all alumni. Quite a different experience than the MSARP. But it was time to start re-building some bridges. So far, it's been a pretty cool ride. There's a picture from MI City of 300 current + former Cavaliers and right in the middle is my dad and Don Warren. Few people here would recognize the historical significance, but it means a lot to me. I'll post it somewhere if I can figure out a way to do that.

Vince, that is indeed a very cool revelation and commentary. Who here can say they had the opportunity to march as an alumnus in their respective Reunion/Anniversary projects with arguably two of the most storied drum corps in the activity. This has got to be a very proud moment for your entire family, especially your father! I'm curious to learn what you mean when you say the two experiences to be quite a bit different?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'elite' win because they perform the best.

If it is self evident there should be a way to quantify it. THe current box system plus the strong appearance that performance matters not goes against your claim.

A corps is looking to attract new members and supporters, hence it makes sense to make their staf bios public. DCI judges are not remotelhy the same thing, IMO, and I see no reason why DCI should be expected to create the same sort of thing on their website. The target audience for any of that information are the staffs of the corps, not the public.

The "target audience" is the people who buy the product.

Something like this would be nice, for example:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/umpires/index.jsp

Rosters, crews, bios, rules, etc. Everything a fan would want to know.

If a judge used that comment as the basis for their number then that judge did not do his/her job. If the judge had a rationale as to why that style did not 'work' and communicated that to the staff or on the tape, then it might be the starting point for some valid reasons.

In and of itself the statement is meaningless...or should be meaningless....in coming up with a number.

I had to purposely leave out further context to the "statement" in question. But you'll have to take me at face value when I say that the "statement" was anything but "meaningless" regarding the backing of the "numbers". That's the problem, the statement had no relevance to backing the outcome!. I realize sometimes truth is stranger then fiction, but I'll just have to leave it at that. End of story......

If it is self evident there should be a way to quantify it. THe current box system plus the strong appearance that performance matters not goes against your claim.

What "strong appearance"? Performance is the key to every caption, be it the actual performance captions or the Effect captions. Someone posted Effect sheet info a few days back, and it's quite plain. The Effects of a show are dependent on how well the corps can perform/communicate the design. So yes, the design does matter, but only in partnership with the performance of the show.

Cavalier Anniversary Corps. But, yes, it's all alumni. Quite a different experience than the MSARP. But it was time to start re-building some bridges. So far, it's been a pretty cool ride. There's a picture from MI City of 300 current + former Cavaliers and right in the middle is my dad and Don Warren. Few people here would recognize the historical significance, but it means a lot to me. I'll post it somewhere if I can figure out a way to do that.

I'd love to hear more of the story of your Dad and Don Warren. Even as old as I am, I'm not sure I know the historical significance.

Don Warren wrote a wonderful moving note to me in the "Green Machine" book I bought from him in Naperville. We had a nice chat about the old days.

I don't think they'd mind me mentioning their names publically, so say hi to Don Kosmal and Bob Nehmer in the soprano line. I marched with these magnificent gentlemen in the Royal Airs Reunion Corps. My heart jumped when I saw you guys enter the field in those traditional shakos and green Cavalier silks. I love it.

I'm not sure of the posting rules, but there are a couple of good videos on YouTube of the Cavalier Anniversary Corps performing in Michigan City. "Bully" and "Sing Sing Sing" are awesome. And I'm impressed with the amount of drill they are doing.

Ahem. Anyway. I guess this is supposed to be either a judge bashing thread or a Madison Scouts thread, so ... GO SCOUTS!!!

(sorry for the digression)

Ticks were no more objective than the system in place today, and a lot less accurate a measure of what makes up a complete performance. The 'elite' win because they perform the best.

This statment is 100% incorrect.

I'm curious to learn what you mean when you say the two experiences to be quite a bit different?

Buy me a beer and I'll bend your ear :) Let me just say that, in retrospect, the fact that the MSARP was put together with 11 days of rehearsal is something I now find almost unbelievable. The difference in the two experiences has a lot to do with the different philosophies of the two corps. Alumni corps are purely for entertainment rather than competitive purposes. For a corps that was traditionally audience-oriented, it was natural to go into alumni-corps mode. For a corps that was more exclusively focused on competition, well, let's just say there were a some internal obstacles. It's a little harder for those guys to set aside their competitive nature and just have fun performing.

On the other hand, the CAC is doing things that I wish MSARP had done. For example, in MI City, for the encore we arc'd up with The Cavaliers and played Bully, Battle Hymn, and Rainbow with 160+ horns. It would have been nice to play YNWA and Ice Castles with the Scouts with 180+ horns, but I guess the keys are no longer compatible.

If you aren't going to Bloomington, there is one more chance to catch the CAC at CavaJam on Aug. 4 at North Central College in Naperville. I'll post details in a new thread.