The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

The Scouts show has traditional music and traditional marching. The Scouts are known for their latin music.

Huh??? Your definition & my definition of a traditional drum corp show aren't even close...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, they were kind of hamstrung from the beginning.

It seems to me that they just wanted to do another totally non-pretentious show like they did in 95 & 96, but decided to "play the game" and this is what they came up with. IMO they should have just come out and called it a show entitled "Another Drum Corp Fan's Dream" or "Drum Corps Fan's Dream Revisited" or whatever. I think this years corps would be great at selling it. They have the power and the energy to do it....

Yeah you were probably the one of those 5 years ago saying Madison had to adapt or die. From what I can see your viewpoint appears to be that whatever Scouts do it is wrong.

Their pictures are undecipherable? What would you like making an actual iguana on the field? And seriously how is the concept of Night of the Iguana any different from Constantly Risking Absurdity, Spartacus, Finding happiness or whathaveyou?

Huh??? Your definition & my definition of a traditional drum corp show aren't even close...

I dont speak for him but I think he means that Madisons show is traditional in that they play larger swatches of continuous music, instead of some of the tension and release many corps used to play, they play alot on the move and their show contains more elements of old style "power drum corps" than most.

I knew we should've done a show about ####### horses. I mean, ####, everyone ####### loves mother ####### horses god ######!!

EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!1!!!11!!!!!!

no seriously. I thought that Crown's 07 show was lame, and I also think this 08 is too. I also think that the Scouts probably could have chosen a better theme, but I still like it better than alot of the top corps' themes.

You can't please everyone. You could probably come close, but you probably will still miss out on a few. All you can do is root for the show/corps you like the best and hope everyone else changes their opinion for the better.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

I dont speak for him but I think he means that Madisons show is traditional in that they play larger swatches of continuous music, instead of some of the tension and release many corps used to play, they play alot on the move and their show contains more elements of old style "power drum corps" than most.

Thank you for answering for me. That is exactly what I meant. But then again, I turned 21 in 1980, and things were done differently then.

Thank you for answering for me. That is exactly what I meant. But then again, I turned 21 in 1980, and things were done differently then.

21 in 1978 for me. Dinosaur!

And how does one measure that the Scouts are working twice as hard? In reality, every corp out there that has a shot at the top 12 are working as hard as they can. Some corps are more mature and have a stronger skill set and therefore make more progress. The decision making and implementation of tweaks and changes by they staff will have the most impact on any corps result (down the road).

You guys really read too much into everyone's posts. My comment was really a backward compliment to the Blue Devils. They can afford to take some time off due to the talent level they have. They have tons of talent to draw from, due to the fact that they have a B and C corps. I didn't seriously think that Madison is the only corp working 12 hours a day. Get real. Every kid out there is working real hard and wants to win, from the worst corp to the best. 8 corps are not going to make finals. That's a given. I would prefer that Madison is not one of the 8. By saying that, I am not wishing bad luck on some olther corp, and I will feel for all the hard work that each corp member has put into the show -- for each corp member of each corp that walks away not making finals.

Is this the Madison thread, or have I made a U turn somewhere? I thought that this thread is where we commiserate with each other when they get bad scores, and cheer with each other when they get good scores, and try to put the best face on whatever they are doing, because they are the SCOUTS!!

You guys really read too much into everyone's posts. My comment was really a backward compliment to the Blue Devils. They can afford to take some time off due to the talent level they have.

Preface with "sarcasm" or some other cue. Believe it or not, some people actually think that corps rehearse with drastically different time frames and schedules...

I love how when people don't like a show, they say it has "design flaws" Whether they're talking about Madison, or PR or Cavies or whatever. I guess it's just easier to say that than to actual do any kind of rational analysis.

Madison's show is fine. It's better than fine. It's entertaining. There are some great musical moments. It has a ton of demand and subtlety. They are struggling with it now, as they should be. They will continue to improve and if they make finals, fine. If not, also fine. Does anyone really care after seeing what won in Denver last night?