The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

Madison has had a mascot for much longer than Crossmen. Unfortunately it was the politically incorrect lawn jocky Philip.

Scouts need to bring back the "little kid" scout...I always thought that was cool! Better than being a bat boy any day!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will now officially apologize for my inherent ways........ah the heck with that........c'mon dude,you were supposed to laugh!.......really, I heard that it's permissible to grin at least once every 30 days. As a matter of fact, I've been told by reputable sources that if you don't chuckle at least once a month, that much needed appendages just start dropping off latter in life. Just trying to do my part to keep you in the game my friend!

Man, I'm starting to think that you're not very appreciative.......my feelings are just a little stung right now......no worries though, tomorrow's a new day.

well, contrary to how it may have seemed/read, I believe he WAS chuckling/laughing at our silly answers. I think that was his point...

He was kind of saying "good grief... thanks for the answers you goofballs. :smile: " ... NOT so much "I'm mad that you guys were being silly." Clearly he knew not all of us could possibly know why the bass drummer was missing. The "thumbs up/smiling" emoticon gives it away. Now had he put THIS emoticon in: :ph34r: then we could safely assume he was saying "you guys are idiots."

Scouts need to bring back the "little kid" scout...I always thought that was cool! Better than being a bat boy any day!

Wouldn't work......That little Scout "conductor" Kid is all grown up now with a pretty sizable gut bought and paid for by Pabst Blue Ribbon. I'm guessing it would just send the wrong message. Furthermore, he signed some weird licensing royalties agreement that doesn't allow the Scouts to bring in any other little kid to fill his shoes. All the better though........I'm told that the Little Madison Conductor's experience was so intoxicating to the little guy that he never really became a productive member of society. He's forever seen on the streets muttering and conducting with periodic out-bursts of "Give Me More....More!" as his arms seem to be waving in a grandiose crescendo manor. It just wouldn't be right to ever put that kind of burden on anyone else.

well, contrary to how it may have seemed/read, I believe he WAS chuckling/laughing at our silly answers. I think that was his point...

He was kind of saying "good grief... thanks for the answers you goofballs. :smile: " ... NOT so much "I'm mad that you guys were being silly." Clearly he knew not all of us could possibly know why the bass drummer was missing. The "thumbs up/smiling" emoticon gives it away. Now had he put THIS emoticon in: :ph34r: then we could safely assume he was saying "you guys are idiots."

I knew that.....just my mediocre attempt at humor.

I asked the question because so many of you are close to the corps, and have frequent contact. I was a bit ###### but I'm all over it now. And - Most of you are not idiots. :smile:

The Scouts did have a Philip last year in 2007 - I believe Doug Hayes donated it (him). Haven't seen him this year.

Here's a little history lesson. In 1975 before we went on tour a group of local Scouts showed up at the apartment of Bill VanH. and myself over by Camp Randall.

(Bill was from Garfield-I won't list his whole name). The local boys had freed this little statue, as Jerry H. would put it) from the boredom of life on the front lawn.

Long story short there were probably 10 of us there enjoying adult beverages etc. (remember the law was 18 then - and most of us were 18). The creative juices flowed and everyone contributed. As you may remember Scott Stewart was in his first year as assistant director and he carried Philip out to the podium at every show in 75.

Philip made other appearances through the years, possibly all of 1976 but I'm not sure about that. I think there were 2 or 3 copies but the original Philip was at the Wed & Fri show of the alumni corps carried to the podium by Huff & Too Tall. Philip still resides in Madison at an undisclosed location.

I am back from Dallas, and wanted to let you know what it looked like live.

IMHO, I thought that the Scouts should have come in 4th. I finally saw the BD show live. It was a great show. I don't like the show personally (not my style), but it is very, very good. PR clearly was the second best corp. They have improved immensely since the Rockford, IL show. I didn't like their show then. I like it now. It was very, very good. They have made many changes and it is very good. (Still things I don't like about it, but that's better addressed for another day). As to SCV, this is the first time I saw them live this year. My impression live is the same as online: great drill but boring music. I still place them in third overall, because their drill was very impressive. But, I would honestly jump the Scouts over BK and X-Men. Personally, I think the Scouts got homered by X-Men. The announcer made a big deal about the fact that the X-Men were the only World Class corp from Texas. I thought their show was better than BK, but IMHO it was not better than the Scouts.

Now, the Scouts had a ton of positive changes. The two or three places in the show where the trumpets wail were incredible!!! The crowd loved the show, and many of them were on their feet. Scouts got a lot of love in Dallas (which was at a beautiful HS stadium with artificial turf!) The stands were full. The company front was beautiful. The marching during the drum solo was great (many changes here and there). During the opener, the battery are playing off to the side, with their heads bowed and their hats facing the audience, while doing one legged moves (whatever the heck they are called) very nice look. Snares using shakers was a nice sound. Snares straighten their ties after their solo was a nice addition.

The guard looked much improved. I still don't like the T-Shirts (I don't think they are unis -- I think they have T-Shirts under waist-high pants -- because some guys have tank tops and the larger guys have regular Ts.) But, the guard doesn't take their coats off as early. They unbutton them and leave them open -- a good look. The guard was supposed to have a place at the end of the second number (where the brass are in a box with the guard in the middle) where they toss the littliest guard member in the air. They didn't do that move in Dallas for some reason.

They have improved leaps and bounds from Rockford and Madison shows. I think the judges are finally starting to give them some respect and some love -- still not as much as I believe they should, but of course I am biased. I don't think that the percussion line should have score lower than BK, but that is my opinion.

I wish I could have stayed in Texas to see the San Antonio show today. Oh, well, at least that show is online.

I was fortunate enough to be the mascot in 1975 and also in 1979. Then I was fortunate enought to be a part of the corps in 1988 and was able to guide the mascot from that season along. Gee...... mascots on the field in 75 and 88 was there a trend??????

The only problem is that they don't have retreat anymore.

Hilly,

Madison 1988,1989

I was fortunate enough to be the mascot in 1975 and also in 1979. Then I was fortunate enought to be a part of the corps in 1988 and was able to guide the mascot from that season along. Gee...... mascots on the field in 75 and 88 was there a trend??????

The only problem is that they don't have retreat anymore.

Hilly,

Madison 1988,1989

WOW, did Philip come to life in the form of Hilly???

I guess I'm old and the memory is going. Hilly were you a small kid dressed in a Scout uniform who came out at retreat with us?

Being "vertically challenged" (not quite as short as Mad75 but then again he was only like 15 or 16) but maybe I wasn't able to see you.

Were you with us all year on tour? Just trying to jog the memory here.

WOW, did Philip come to life in the form of Hilly???

I guess I'm old and the memory is going. Hilly were you a small kid dressed in a Scout uniform who came out at retreat with us?

Being "vertically challenged" (not quite as short as Mad75 but then again he was only like 15 or 16) but maybe I wasn't able to see you.

Were you with us all year on tour? Just trying to jog the memory here.

I was on the field at finals as well as periodic shows that year. I am told I fell asleep after retreat and someone carried me off on a timp.

In 1979 we drove the equipment truck so I was with the corps all year.

Hilly

Madison 1988, 1989