The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

Do you think the difference between percussion#1 and percussion#2 had to do with what was being sampled? I mean, was one judge looking at the battery while the other was looking at the pit? The spread between the two is hard to swallow, even if that was the case, but could that be part of the explanation?

I understand that percussion judge #2 was in the stands, while judge #1 was on the field. I guess that explains why the Scouts scores were so low early in the season, with all the judges in the stands.

I've said it before and I will say it again: The judging system cries out for an overhaul. This is not just for the Scouts sake, but for the sake of all 12 corps who performed yesterday and had to fight for 4 spots in the evening show. Can anyone explain why 8 corps got byes? To me, that doesn't seem right. Everyone should be required to earn their way into the final show. There is no such thing as a free lunch!!

I also disagree with seeding. Why should a corps get seeded based on what they did last year? That is like telling the Big 10 and the SEC that Ohio State and LSU don't have to play half of their games because they were in the championship last year. I think the other schools from the Big 10 and SEC would have something to say about it.

Until there is equity in judging -- all the way up and down the line -- I will not stop voicing my opinion.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished my crappy drive from San Antonio to Houston. It was worth it though, because I got to see the Scouts live on Saturday. The whole show was awesome - I have to say I enjoyed the Troopers, Scouts, Crossmen, and Phantom the most. I guess I'll never be a DCI judge. I was disappointed with the Scout's souvie stand though. Usually they have more stuff then anyone but it looked like they barely even unpacked the truck this time. They had nothing there I didn't already have. I had to settle for a Crossmen polo and a Zildjian shirt. What a bummer, because Madison has so much cool stuff available online. I don't understand.

I understand that percussion judge #2 was in the stands, while judge #1 was on the field. I guess that explains why the Scouts scores were so low early in the season, with all the judges in the stands.

I've said it before and I will say it again: The judging system cries out for an overhaul. This is not just for the Scouts sake, but for the sake of all 12 corps who performed yesterday and had to fight for 4 spots in the evening show. Can anyone explain why 8 corps got byes? To me, that doesn't seem right. Everyone should be required to earn their way into the final show. There is no such thing as a free lunch!!

I also disagree with seeding. Why should a corps get seeded based on what they did last year? That is like telling the Big 10 and the SEC that Ohio State and LSU don't have to play half of their games because they were in the championship last year. I think the other schools from the Big 10 and SEC would have something to say about it.

Until there is equity in judging -- all the way up and down the line -- I will not stop voicing my opinion.

Jeff Prosperie is a joke for a DCI judge. I hope the Scouts staff chewed him a new arsehole at critique!

I was disappointed with the Scout's souvie stand though. Usually they have more stuff then anyone but it looked like they barely even unpacked the truck this time.

Scouts ought to fix that and quick. Souvenirs are a HUGE money-maker for most corps and I would imagine the Scouts would have more fans than most corps. I look for DVD's, T-shirts, pins, buttons, drum sticks, etc... Never turn away a fan with a fist full of dollars just begging to give it away! :thumbup:

Edited by Cavie74

Scouts ought to fix that and quick. Souvenirs are a HUGE money-maker for most corps and I would imagine the Scouts would have more fans than most corps. I look for DVD's, T-shirts, pins, buttons, drum sticks, etc... Never turn away a fan with a fist full of dollars just begging to give it away! :thumbup:

I saw the full range of t-shirts, sweatshirts, track jacket, drum sticks, dvd's, cd's at the Scouts booth. The only thing I didn't notice was the jewelry, but I could have missed that. They also had little Scouts figurines and some other stuff I hadn't seen before. The sticks were right out on the table when I saw them, with two different styles.

I was disappointed with the Scout's souvie stand though. Usually they have more stuff then anyone but it looked like they barely even unpacked the truck this time. They had nothing there I didn't already have. I had to settle for a Crossmen polo and a Zildjian shirt. What a bummer, because Madison has so much cool stuff available online. I don't understand.

They were selling these like hotcakes in Dallas, maybe they ran out.

front

vintage_drummer_tee.jpg

back

vintage_drummer_tee_back.jpg

They were selling these like hotcakes in Dallas, maybe they ran out.

front

vintage_drummer_tee.jpg

back

vintage_drummer_tee_back.jpg

No, they didn't run out... those were on display at San Antonio as well. Looked like a full range of t-shirts were available, including the kid's t's.

I agree... It's a joke that the corps should have to fight to get in the coveted evening show. In my opinion, if ANYTHING, they should just have all the corps seeded from the previous weeks' scores - and all of the corps should play in ONE show. Make it like a Quarterfinals World Championships show and have every corps play in one show. Don't split the shows up. It leaves a lot of corps disappointed and gives corps like BAC a free pass when obviously BK deserved the 8th spot (in this case).