The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

Not worried or surprised. I think this will be the story for about the first 3-5 shows. Expect upward mobility in July.

...additionally, I think the difference will be to see whether the Scouts stay at 61 for the rest of June. That'd be a good benchmark against 2007, since I think this corps' score will actually increase logically.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Steve marched 2nd bass in '81... I remember one of the few pep talks we got in '88 going "I started in a magic year and I'm ending in one too..."

...not that '82 wasn't a great year for Madison also!

(just googled- Scouts alumni database confirms the 1981 season!)

Dang Man, I have CRS . Have pitty on an old man ! :lookaround:

Bill

Just got back from the show. What a day. Almost 12 hrs. of corps rehearsals, and a show.

First forgive me for the quality of the pictures. The sun was right in my face, then later my crappy flash couldn't get any other corps, so I've only got Scout pictures.

Mini review -

I'm shocked at the placements.

Scouts had a slight tear after the drum solo. Some phasing, and a trumpet or two playing when they shouldn't have been.

Right now the show seems to loose some steam after the 2nd tune. New music was just learned this week, and I know this ending is just temporary but the show ends rather abruptly.

The positives - This is such a well designed show. Tons of body movement from the horn line. Moving and playing difficult stuff, which other corps didn't do very much of. Tons of room for improvement.

Biggest crowd reaction, other than PR.

I would have placed the corps like this

PR

Crown

Rosemont

Scouts

Blue Stars

Colts

I've got to be honest. I was completely underwhelmed with everyone else besides the Scouts/Crown/PR.

BELIEVE ME - I was in East Troy exactly one year ago. This Scouts show right now is light years ahead of last years. The horns are in your face already, the drum line is much improved. There is a flow to the show. The movements fit well together. The staging is good. It WILL be a great year for the Scouts.

Here's a few pics. More later.

100_4479.jpg

100_4486.jpg

100_4497.jpg

100_4498.jpg

I don't understand why everyone is getting bent outta shape over the score of the first show of the 2008 Madison Scouts. We must remember who we're talking about here...the Madison Scouts! I'm sure nothing's changed since I was in the corps and that's the fact that the Scouts could care less about the score they received tonight. Their primary concern is to give 110% on the field, entertain the crowd, and have a better show when the next opportunity comes (aka their next rehearsal run-through). When I marched in 2004 we placed 1st at our first show with Regiment coming in 2nd. At the second show Regiment took 1st and we placed 2nd. Did we hear anything negative about it-no. We were told, "Great show tonight, men. Let's have a better show at practice tomorrow." As a drum corps participant I learned that there's really only two variables that you have control of-your own show and the crowd. The judges will make their judgments according and no one really has control of that. I say we leave the score counting alone and just be entertained by the Men from Madison!

BELIEVE ME - I was in East Troy exactly one year ago. This Scouts show right now is light years ahead of last years. The horns are in your face already, the drum line is much improved. There is a flow to the show. The movements fit well together. The staging is good. It WILL be a great year for the Scouts.

According to Oldtimedrummer in the Rockford thread, this show has no flow...lol :lookaround:

There is a ton to be optomistic about with this show. If they can stay on track, this should easily be a top 7ish, 8ish, or 9ish show.

Go Scouts.....' here's hoping they DO stay on track and easily secure one of those 7th to 9th spots come Finals!

According to Oldtimedrummer in the Rockford thread, this show has no flow...lol :lookaround:

I'll have to check that out. I wonder how much time he's watched the Scouts this year? :thumbup:

Without hearing from reliable first hand accounts as to what occurred this evening in Rockford, I can only respond by saying that "the more things change the more they stay the same". I know what I saw last night in Middleton, and the Scouts are light years ahead of last year at this time.......absolutely no comparison........and, absolutely no pre-season hype. The alumni that saw what I saw last night were just as reserved as I was to not allow oneself to get caught up in the moment. For me, this was primarily due to the pain of last season. I believe that things this year have been very factually reported. Yes, the product was very impressive, but this is of course a relative statement. It was the first showing. Who knows what the other corps look like! So tonight was the real deal.......at face value sitting in front of a computer, can anyone truly be surprised? If I remember correctly, didn't the Scouts place higher at their first show last year? And that was without a product? So what can you say......I guess one could get all cute and snarky like Mr. Brace and try to kick sand in the face of the so called "Hypesters", but then that would make you no different then that type of ilk, now wouldn't it?...........Nah.........forget-a-bout-it........It's the first show for Madison. Again, I'm convinced they've got a world class staff, a great group of kids and a pretty good product with a lot of potential. Secondly, when you've been around the drum corps block as much and long as I've been, you tend to steer clear of the "kool-aid" table. Pre-season guesses are just that....guesses based upon no comparison. I liked what I saw last evening in the Scouts, but the corps that placed above the Scouts last year might all have mind-blowing shows this year! I also know that when you place as the Scouts did last August, you'll get absolutely NO favors and you had better realize that you're most certainly going to have to work twice as hard to prove your point. Beyond that, you can only hope that the adjudication process is reasonable along the way.

Mad75