The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

So does that mean in July the #'s are going to get all goofy??

I'm glad they got the vis. GE #'s - I would have been surprised if they were down farther.

I was disappointed in the percussion #'s

I am shocked they scored lower than their first show last year.

if the reviews from some other people are true....the tear in the show would be a definite reason for lowered music and music GE #'s as well as percussion performance....i think when the guys get comfortable and the show settles down and they can really perform it and rip faces off, the numbers will start to show up...

MYNWA

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bkackley -

Welcome aboard to DCP!!

I think its cool to watch a show evolve into something great, which the scouts always seem to do!

I Can't wait to see them this weekend on the live telecast, I have to wait until August @ the DCI East show in Allentown to see them live, which is when their show will be blazin!

bkackley -

Welcome aboard to DCP!!

thanks! i've been sneaking around on here for a while now and finally had to join...this forum is very interesting to say the least...looking forward to a great season!

MYNWA

OMG - it's like the entire 90's all over again!!!

Boo hoo - the Scouts are ALWAYS getting ripped off! They never get the score they deserve.

Good grief.

Yes, George, it is like the entire 90's all over again! The Scouts continue to have the largest, most dedicated and passionate fan base that is still the envy of others – like Cadet fans, for example. Concerning DCI's slotting process (mistakenly called "judging" by DCI), nothing has changed since I commented on the subject in 2002! :tongue::smile:

Vic Russell

I don't understand the captions anymore at all.

- Scouts beat Colts and BStars(destroying Blue Stars) in Visual GE, placing 3rd.

- Scouts also got annhialated in the Visual caption, placing last, miles behind the compeition. (and by "miles" I mean like 2 points)

Sorry: but if it really is #s in the guard that is holding them back, there's something wrong with the system. #s should NEVER matter.

probably not so much numbers but the quality of the work performed.

Hmph... Seems this thread should have been named the Scouts FAN thread like the others did... George, if you're such an "all-around great guy", you should know better than to be bashing a corps on their own thread. Your comment makes you a guy with an "all-around sucky attitude".

So, then create a Madison Kool-aid drinking Fan thread and not a DISCUSSION thread like this. Discussion usually involves people with differing opinions sharing their thoughts and disagreements in a civil fashion.

A kool-aid drinking thread would be one where everything else besides the corps overall performance would be blamed for a score on a given night. Judges, critics, and the rotation of the earth if necessary.

OMG, that's the issue isn't it? Some people think this is the FAN thread.

Edited by Tom Brace

On an unrelated note, I was surprised to see Phantom and Cavies so close. Maybe it will be like 06 again but then again, scores can change alot over the season. BTW, I think Scout just got lower score because the judges may be viewing them on the basis of their pervious season.

Slotting is definitely a problem in DCI judging. It's a general problem in judgment and decision-making. Psychologists call it "anchoring."

Once you get a reputation for being weak (or strong) in a particular area, that reputation tends to stick. The Scouts have unfortunately developed a rep for "dirty feet." It may be fair, it may not. The only way they will shake it is by over-compensating in the other direction.

If you compare Cavaliers in the late 70s to early 80s, one thing that really stands out is a huge improvement in individual marching technique. I believe that this was as much a key to their resurgence as Brubaker's drill designs. I'm not saying that Madison should emulate Cavaliers marching style, but they need to somehow turn this perceived weakness into a perceived strength.