But with the way the Opener (Danza Final) ended, it primed the crowd. With the way the Ballad ended (Fire of Eternal Glory) it kept the crowd going, and with the end of the closer (Death Hunt) being thrown in finals week, it brought the crowd to a rabid frenzy. People ran and ran and played and ran.

You forgot to mention that what Phantom did was just balls-out new and exciting! After a down 92 in placement, they came out in 93 and just completely did something different. Obscure music was the big deal in 93, and Phantom showed how to pull something nobody had every heard (aside from the 70's PR phans) and made it exciting and breathtaking to view.

I could kick myself for not marching 93. Oops. Had a chance, should have dropped school for a semester. Heck, knowing how much Rockford support there is for the corps now, I would have just moved in with St Angel, rented a room, and worked for a semester to be a part of this corps. This, even more than my age out year of 95, is the biggest reason that I always say march as many as you've got, cuz they don't come by again!

That being said, the ending of the show in 94 was the same as the end of 93 the first part of the season. I remember ending up front and center on this drill and nearly wiping out the first or second show--jazz running, IIRC, was kinda new back then, too. Just the whole deal of running and running and running then all of a sudden stopping...wow!

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that they originally intended the de Falla closing move to have the crab across the field thing instead of in the closer. Personally, I think we all wanted it in both. Would have gained a heckuva lot more "Whoop-D-Do's" in the 94 show, already a pretty decent one.

93 was just awesome. Went to finals just to see it again after Dallas, where the audience reaction was equally raucous as anywhere else. The opening set, IIRC, at 120 yard spread was one of the first (after Star 91) to include members marching outside the sidelines...although 'marching' hardly applied to that move--flat out run!

Like 91, I thought 93 was a PERFECT blend of ebb and flow, slow/soft and fast/loud. Great music. I bought the Ginastera b/c of the PR version. Never seen 'Fire of Eternal Glory' on recording or any other medium since.

Such a good show in 93...we tried to copy in 94! Kind of interesting sister shows. Closer was better performed in 94...other than "the note" (thanks, Scott).

Whenever I talk about wanting music that is enjoyable, this is the type of stuff I'm thinking about. Doesn't have to be familiar to be amazing/enjoyable. Agreed: Best sustained audience reaction for a show not performed at finals in front of its home town crowd!!

Edited by silvertrombone

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could pretty much throw any Madison show into the mix, some better than others.

I would think the Cavaliers have gotten a bunch of shows like this; Advent collections(90, 91), their 1999 show got a lot of love, and 2000 - Present has been consistently some of the most popular in DCI. Again, some more than others.

off the top of my head the list would probably be...(I completely left out the 70's - 80's because I'm not as familiar with all those shows)

Cavaliers 2004, 2000, 1991

SCV 2004, 2006, 2007

Madison Scouts...uh...90's & some of the 2000s

Phantom Regiment 1991, 1993, 2003

Carolina Crown 2006, 2007

Cadets 1993, 1998, 2000

BD 1994

I can't think of one show from Madison from this decade that has the audience reaction to even their own 1990s era shows, let alone comparing them to PR93. Even the Sal/Michael shows had many stalwart alums scratching their heads.

You forgot to mention that what Phantom did was just balls-out new and exciting! After a down 92 in placement, they came out in 93 and just completely did something different. Obscure music was the big deal in 93, and Phantom showed how to pull something nobody had every heard (aside from the 70's PR phans) and made it exciting and breathtaking to view.

I could kick myself for not marching 93. Oops. Had a chance, should have dropped school for a semester. Heck, knowing how much Rockford support there is for the corps now, I would have just moved in with St Angel, rented a room, and worked for a semester to be a part of this corps. This, even more than my age out year of 95, is the biggest reason that I always say march as many as you've got, cuz they don't come by again!

That being said, the ending of the show in 94 was the same as the end of 93 the first part of the season. I remember ending up front and center on this drill and nearly wiping out the first or second show--jazz running, IIRC, was kinda new back then, too. Just the whole deal of running and running and running then all of a sudden stopping...wow!

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that they originally intended the de Falla closing move to have the crab across the field thing instead of in the closer. Personally, I think we all wanted it in both. Would have gained a heckuva lot more "Whoop-D-Do's" in the 94 show, already a pretty decent one.

93 was just awesome. Went to finals just to see it again after Dallas, where the audience reaction was equally raucous as anywhere else. The opening set, IIRC, at 120 yard spread was one of the first (after Star 91) to include members marching outside the sidelines...although 'marching' hardly applied to that move--flat out run!

Like 91, I thought 93 was a PERFECT blend of ebb and flow, slow/soft and fast/loud. Great music. I bought the Ginastera b/c of the PR version. Never seen 'Fire of Eternal Glory' on recording or any other medium since.

Such a good show in 93...we tried to copy in 94! Kind of interesting sister shows. Closer was better performed in 94...other than "the note" (thanks, Scott).

Whenever I talk about wanting music that is enjoyable, this is the type of stuff I'm thinking about. Doesn't have to be familiar to be amazing/enjoyable. Agreed: Best sustained audience reaction for a show not performed at finals in front of its home town crowd!!

I introduced my children to drum corps using the 94 show. We were at Boylan the night before Whitewater (first show I believe). The storm clouds parted and we got to see rehearsal. Michael and those wierd black and white flags. The Debussy was the tough part of the show for me. After listening to both years over and over again, 93 prevails. Just great ending after great ending after great ending....hmmm. Sounds a lot like Crown's attempt from this year.

Were you there when they rolled out the slat quads? They were tenors made from slats of wood. Didin't last in the show for long. I also remember a set of tenors made from upside down pots.

I've got to say Scouts '95.

:big hug: To bad the recordings are so shady you can't hear the music.

I can't think of one show from Madison from this decade that has the audience reaction to even their own 1990s era shows, let alone comparing them to PR93. Even the Sal/Michael shows had many stalwart alums scratching their heads.

Don't think it comes terribly close to their 1990's reactions but Madison from 2000, 2001 had VERY strong reaction......

VK got a lot of laughs, which is one type of reaction and I give them a lot of credit for their approach. What i'm looking for is a reaction from pure awesomeness of the non comedic kind.

VK was more than a "Clown around" corps. VK produced some very impressive corps through the years. Drumlines from 1988, 1989 and great hornlines from 1989 and 1990........

Actually.....I think Madison 1993 passes PR 1993 in the "Crowd reaction" category. Madison tore the field up on finals night...

Actually.....I think Madison 1993 passes PR 1993 in the "Crowd reaction" category. Madison tore the field up on finals night...

:tongue: :big hug:

The opening set, IIRC, at 120 yard spread was one of the first (after Star 91) to include members marching outside the sidelines...although 'marching' hardly applied to that move--flat out run!

Garfield 1985 had members spread out a lot more than a 120 yards :big hug: That's the fist one I remember. There were probably ones before that and after before Phantom's opening set in 1993.

I'm gonna have to agree with the 95 Madison crowd on this one.

p.s. I really love this new Fan Network thing. I've never seen 93 PR before. What an awesome show! I look forward to discovering many more wonderful show because of discussions like these on the forums here. I really feel the network will connect fans from different generations like never before. :big hug:

Edited by CUDAKITE

1. Scouts '95 (being there was the most unique part of this...while I was cheering, I was looking around thinking "this is nuts!")

2. 27th '94 (there for this one, too. If people weren't screaming, they had tears in their eyes. Multiple standing-oh's. Really something special.)

these two shows are head and shoulders above any others. I'll offer a few for your consideration:

3. Star of Indiana 90 (youtube the closer, wow)

4. Cadets 87 or 90