Courtney's Chronicles

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, a 'philosophy' of some sort is needed in ANY teaching edifice, be it Drum Corps to Fortune 500 companies. I believe Regiment always HAD a set way of doing things, and a philosophy for same, however, the years prior to 2002 to present saw too mayny staff and director changes to keep that intact (IMHO ONLY!)

Now that a set group of staff members have been in place for over 4 years now, we see the evolution of a well oiled, self sufficient team of people, and that, just as Courtney wrote, trickles down to the section leaders and subsequently, the corps itself.

Lets face it. Whether you like to admit it or not, BD, CAVIES, CADETS have always had the base returning staff members year after year, and that "I" believe he;ps build continuity, a good ethic and seeing the corps goals through to fruition. We've seen the benefits of this from Regiment up till now (referring to 2002 to present) and when considering all that 2007 had going for it, the theme, and the portrayal of it in sound, motion and scope was their downfall.

Now that 'SPARTACUS' is in place, the objectives, at least to me, are crystal clear. One, give the phans some reprehensible snipits of 81 & 82's show WITHOUT being 'rehashed' and seen as -- the same thing. Take on a fresh approach, using title and story as we might want to see it as a backboard, and use the corps and NEW music 'relating to' but not necessarily FROM the story/movie as the new musical vehicle.

That in a nutshell is what they are doing now. the key is, DIRTFT !!!

DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not refining & tweaking via rewrites week after week until finals, but the adverse! Use the ideas originally presented and stick with it! The changes needs to be done NOW, the 1st few weeks after the music/drill are learned. The final touches & surprises that PR loves to add in the week of finals can still be done, but they will have greater impat and scoring capacity if all is set in motion BEFORE that time.

EXAMPLE: 2007 "On Air" Dr. dan came out and said that regiment is always seemingly behind when it comes to the month of finals. In 2007, the new ending was added way before finals at Indy! The props used were not implemented soon enough, and they could have been changed the week of finals. Music rewrites I KNOW occurred right up until finals, which is ok if you have those tricks up you're sleeve and they are PRE-PLANNED, but one sitting in the stands finals night probably didn't feel that and to me, didn't give that impression.

In short, you have a theme, you have music, you have a set way of doing things, DO IT how it best suits YOUR corps! That's the only way perfection can be achieved. That is why the Cavies, BD & Cadets are always cosistanly so good, because the product is required to be COMPLETED before it is given to the members and once it is, THEY the members are required to and expected to perform it as such. Otherwise, there will be 1000 re-writes, drill changes and prop additions/subtractions and the show will never really 'gel'.

Rockfor IMHP is taking the correct approach for them. DO IT RIGHT NOW and the rest, when needed, can & will be changed with ease and performace issues behind them

Trish,

Dr. Dan had mentioned that to me here at the Phoenix show, but we all knew that was par for the course. I agree completely on why stability with a successful staff has it's rewards.

When you listen to Jeff Fiedler he talks about adding layers. No daily changes in show designs or formations.

An extremely well thought out show prior to camp is (IMO) the key. The devil is in the details.

Edited by Phantombari1

To quote Ms. Lawrence, in her own words:

It's a little different for a lot of the veterans who are used to learning drill much more quickly, and worrying about changes later on down the road. The idea this year is to get it all right the first time.

The vibe in the corps this year is really something special. The show is much more difficult than previous shows, and at tempos none of us have really experienced before. Yet the members have been positive and motivated to make this the best Regiment show yet. There is some pressure to live up to the 1981 and 1982 versions of Spartacus, a challenge that we're taking head on. And the design team has done a wonderful job of handing us a pretty rocking product so far. So now it's up to us to take ownership of it.

So, I do believe that "my" theory and 'would have, could have, should have done" IF "I" were on staff are being done, and, I believe for the better. ANYONE who has or will read my posts (past or present) regarding Phantom knows that I have always felt THIS (the preparation and perfection of same) was their achilles heel ! I have attended two Cadets camps this year and their methodology is unreal as far as what is put in front of them and what is expefcted from it from day 1. EVERY Corps is different and so is their staff's and their beliefs and techniques -- end point!

There is no, in my opinion as a trained musician, better arranger(s) for the Phantom Regiment than J.D. Shaw & Paul Rennick. JD has been there done it, lived it - he eminates that "Phamily" conviction to the core and it resonates through his brass scores. Paul Rennick is the epitome of phrasing in a percussive "classical' medium. They are what makes Regiment SOUND & FEEL like Regiment in today's drum corps. We can't continue to compare the sound of the 80's 90 to today as instrumentation has changed, pitches and bores are differet. My opinion only... the masters Jim Wren & Marty Hurly made us fall in love with Regiment and it lush, deep, beautiful sound. Now it's the current staff's duty to continue to personify and embellish that tradition into the next millenium. and believe me, they (the current staff) love what they do and who they do it for far too much to let a sub-par product be put on the field.

AMEN! See y'all in Allentown

pictures...i want to see pictures of the Guard/Corps!!!!!

pictures...i want to see pictures of the Guard/Corps!!!!!

Agree!

I wish Phantom would put something current up on Fan Network. :smile:

To quote Ms. Lawrence, in her own words:

It's a little different for a lot of the veterans who are used to learning drill much more quickly, and worrying about changes later on down the road. The idea this year is to get it all right the first time.

The vibe in the corps this year is really something special. The show is much more difficult than previous shows, and at tempos none of us have really experienced before. Yet the members have been positive and motivated to make this the best Regiment show yet. There is some pressure to live up to the 1981 and 1982 versions of Spartacus, a challenge that we're taking head on. And the design team has done a wonderful job of handing us a pretty rocking product so far. So now it's up to us to take ownership of it.

So, I do believe that "my" theory and 'would have, could have, should have done" IF "I" were on staff are being done, and, I believe for the better. ANYONE who has or will read my posts (past or present) regarding Phantom knows that I have always felt THIS (the preparation and perfection of same) was their achilles heel ! I have attended two Cadets camps this year and their methodology is unreal as far as what is put in front of them and what is expefcted from it from day 1. EVERY Corps is different and so is their staff's and their beliefs and techniques -- end point!

AMEN! See y'all in Allentown

I was very excited when I read this entry also.

I agree that too many changes once the season starts and adding too many elements later in the season has hurt them to some extent.

Here's hoping to a great season for Phantom!!! :smile: