St Johns Drum & Bugle Corps

That is a valid option that I'm certain the board will address. There are a number of topics on the discussion plate. It's overwhelming, yet very exciting and we're all anxious to get this off the ground!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proud to be a St. John's Alum performer and staff.

Can't wait to see the burgandy and black on the field again...

I may have to march again...

Do it!

did we lose a couple of posts???

A few? I'm not too sure...

Regardless, you all rock for keeping this bumped!

There was a comparison between St. Johns and Guelph Royalaires and I responded to it. I don't see either one now.

Oh well...

I'd like to see those original burgundy uniforms on the field. It would bring back memories of when I used to compete against St. Johns in the 90's.

How about the original green tops and white skirts with the cowboy hat? St. John's Girls?

Couldn't resist...showing my age again...

And skipping off the field...carrying timpani's!

How about the original green tops and white skirts with the cowboy hat? St. John's Girls?

Couldn't resist...showing my age again...

And skipping off the field...carrying timpani's!

Gotta wonder how those girls' backs are today...

There is plenty of talent that because of age, time or money can't do the junior thing. There's no reason Ontario can't sustain 2 DCA corps as well as more DCI corps than the current 3. I don't think Grennies should be impacted. In fact, the nearby competition will probably be good for them - get some interest going in the province.

While it has been a slow and somewhat bumpy ride, Capital Ensemble will be growing the activity here in Ottawa, first with an Alumni corps, and second with a mini-corps (for DCA I&E and MCA) in 2009, with the eventual addition of an all age DCA corps likely for 2010. Emphasis on local recruiting and activities is the priority at the moment.

Gas and other travel expenses is a primary factor in my decision to stay local for 2009. I do plan to see 2008 through to finals though.

Ontario (and Quebec) definitely needs several drum corps options that won't require members to travel long distances just to practice and perform. Ontario should have no problems sustaining multiple drum corps, even if they are in relatively close proximity, presuming the corps in question have a plan in place. I know Capital Ensemble does have such a plan in place.

From what I recall, there used to be a good 15-20 Junior Corps just in the Southern part of Ontario. Add in those from all over the province, Quebec and out West...there is a ton of Canadian talent out there. Being 16-21 and no real financial responsibilities or a family, allow the talent pool to march the summers.

For those who hold full time jobs, have families or other commitments but still enjoy the thrill of meeting new people and wow'ing the crowd...this allows them to remain involved casually. So I feel that a lot more DCA Corps will be popping up over the next few summers. Or at least I'd like to see it :smile: