St Johns Drum & Bugle Corps

It would be foolish of us to turn anyone away because they didn’t meet a certain age requirement. They were posted as mere guidelines, as Matt mentioned.

Of course it is going to be a large project to take on (running the 5 divisions), but Rome wasn’t built in a day. Nor will a multi-division organization.

Our goal is to be able to support all 5 and within the next few years, and be an organization that offers everything to do with Drum Corps, to everyone.

So please, there are different avenues of expressing your concerns or your angst. Try to be mindful.

Again, any questions or concerns may be directed to info@stjohnsdrumcorps.com

Thank you.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our goal is to be able to support all 5 and within the next few years, and be an organization that offers

I'm sorry but I'm confused now. The DCA corps is starting to practice in September, and the winter drumline is beginning practices in the next few weeks. I gather there are already Cadet practices in progress?

So when does the DCI corps and the winter guard begin practices? Also, what division do you anticipate for the winter guard, World or one of the age-restricted Independant divisions?

Edited by kusankusho

Well I think the "go to hell" thing was just intended as a joke, given the context. As you said, St Johns has a long history as a "class" organization so one misplaced joke can't take away from that.

It's early days yet. Maybe it's best that interested parties like myself just desist from asking about the details as yet and see where it all leads. Here's hoping it leads to someplace great!

I think what you are feeling is felt by everyone, MASS confusion!! I totally understand the excitment of the quick response to this ALL ages corps. But there is no need to rush to get things done, rather do it in efficient manner. And to have the director go on DCP and make a "quote" "go to hell" is not the class I grew up with. I was proud to say I was a memeber of St.Johns, and the respect we EARNED as a corps. Over the past few days, what is going on is making this look like unorganzied and almost disfunctional.

Shannen

This is not the best way to obtain the support of anyone. Especially the people on DCP as they are your paying customers to shows that you might be asked to do in the future. Always be mindful, that the people buying tickets to drum corps shows pay the freight. Without their support, it is unlikely any of us as drum corps could survive

A perennial problem with posts on a forum like this is that so much is lost from normal face-to-face communication: facial expressions, voice inflection, etc. It’s easy to misconstrue the intent of a poster and the conversation goes of at a tangent that is difficult to correct.

If I may suggest, we should all sit back, relax, and see what comes of this. Those of us able and willing to get involved and lend a hand should certainly do so.

A new DCA corps is never a bad thing. Let’s let St John’s get this show on the road without a lot of unnecessary DCP baggage attaching itself so early on.

As a possible future member of ST. Johns, I am now just as confused as most people on here. When I was first told about this, I was informed that the corps was coming back out as an "ALL AGES CORPS". Did things get changed judging by what is happening with the deflating of dci corps in Ontario. I personally do not think that a dca corps is even viable in the area presently. We just recently lost another corps in this area last week due to lack of membership. .

Why not put all work into the creating a solid All ages corps rather than worry about a junior corps that possibly may not survive. I am sure that there would be alot of members under 22 that would rather march DCA. This is just my opinion.

If someone could clear up the confusion, that would be great.

Let me get this straight. They post a topic on DCP. But they don't want to discuss questions on here :laughing:

Anyway, since many drum corps are strapped for cash and some are scrounging for instruments, I was just curious as to how, aside from Lotto grants, a town such as Brantford can be a sufficient source of revenue for all of these corps. With things to consider such as uniforms, equipment for each corps, and separate well paid DCI and DCA staff (and other staff), I'm sure it must be a monumental burden just to fund this endeavor. I know a lot of Ontario corps would love to know their secret.

I think that's what Matt is saying with the "general guidlines" thing. It will be on an individual case basis.

I guess so too Jim. But sounds like the SJ All-Age corps may run into same problem the non-competing corps that use the "Alumni" tag hit. Some people see "Alumni" in a corps name and don't know that non-Alumnis can be members too so they don't ask about joining. In SJ case, interested under-22ers may see the "guidelines" and figure they would not be allowed to join the All-Age corps. Why bother emailing the corps if the "guidelines" on ages look like hard and fast rules.....

I would suggest that a DCP administrator or mod remove this entire post as it is getting to far out of hand and confusing for a lot of people. The last thing I think anyone wants is bad publicity and false information spreading around. All people need to know is that St. John's would like to put in place for next year a competitive DCA all ages corps. Visit the web site for further anouncements. I am sure the website will be cleaned up in due time to reflect the different programs St. John's has to offer and pertinent info for everyone interested. A case of putting the apple cart before the horse due to a lot of excitement with this venture. Just let the organization do their thing and I am sure things will start to fall into place nicely. And before ya'll know it the clydsdales will be infront of the applecart.

Thanks

Johnny_A

Edited by JOHNNY_A