Does anyone really care about Open Class?

If the Open Class were to disappear off of the face of the earth, would anyone other than the marching members notice? Every year, I read many threads here and elsewhere about the lack of support these corps get from DCI, etc., but it seems to me that no one shows up for their shows and even their Finals don't have large crowds. It seems to me that this has less to do with DCI and more to do with a lack of support (respect?) on the the part of drum corps fans. Even at so-called "mixed" shows here in the once small corps-friendly midwest, many of those considering themselves to be "big time" fans of drum corps don't show up in the stands until intermission.

Reminds me of when Home Depot came into my town and the small hardware store on Main Street closed up and went out of business. My neighbors all whined about "Big Bad Home Depot," but none of them shopped at the old store anyway. "It was too inconvenient," they said.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is something that has been debated heavily the last 10 years or so.

Drum corps is highly comparable to NCAA sports. We have the Div. 1 schools who have the huge stadiums, enormous schools and attendance, fan bases, etc. They also have the smaller div.2 and 3 schools who obviously don't make tv, don't have the huge stadiums, and don't have the ja-gungus fan base of the bigger schools. However, this isn't to say that there aren't a large number of supporting family, friends, and fans out there for these schools. This is just like the World and Open class of DCI today, and more so like the old Division 1-2-3 system.

My point here being that there is a large amount of support for the Open class corps...however, just like in NCAA, we don't make TV, we don't have the same number of fans, but we do the activity for all the same reasons the "big guys" do it.

We all play the same game, we just do it with less people.

My reason for posting was not at all intended to diminish the efforts of those on the field. Quite the contrary. Perhaps I should have said, "other than the performers on the field and their families, does anyone really care about the Open Class?"

I think that in general your average drum corps fan would say, "yeah, we want them to exist." For whatever reason, many of the self-proclaimed "die hard" fans don't go out of their way to support the Open Class. I'm not pontificating that it's a good thing or a bad thing. It's just "a thing."

Edited by EndzoneEric

I have marched in corps of the "OPEN CLASS" caliber in the 70s and have always thought that some of the most innovatitive shows have come from them.

Many a time recently, I have been bored to death with the World Class corps and their "in house style of music.

The Open Class has always been more interesting to me and therefore get my support.

I love to see what kind of shows they can put on and what kind of music they play.

The World Class corps try to bring new things to the drum corps world that as far as I am concerned, just don't cut it.

I think we all know what they are don't we ??

I just wish more people would just give OPEN CLASS a chance.

Good luck this season kids and just have fun with your shows.

Edited by Walter

No, I hate Open Class.

No, I hate Open Class.

um, can you justify this as sarcasm or a really strong opinion?

um, can you justify this as sarcasm or a really strong opinion?

Lol it's sarcasm.

My favorite corps is actually an open class corps, even though they're currently inactive.

I seriously love open class.

I very much appreciate and respect the open class corps and I also see the reasoning behind your question.

I wish that the open class would get a larger audience. I heard the audience for finals was 300 or 400 last year. I wish I could have been there but my schedule did not allow it. Being in an all-age corps on the west coast, I know the feeling of playing to a small audience because we go on before open class while everyone is out in the lot watching warm-ups of the World class corps at the show.

As a performer, it is always hard to put out the emotion needed for expressive excellence when you get very little back from a small audience. I see the open corps out there giving it their best every time no matter how many people are there to see them. For that, I respect them. To all of you open class corps members that perform to the rather sparse crowds we get, I commend you.

It seems rather appropriate to post this question on DCP where even DCP puts DCI-Open Class Corps Discussion below Historical Junior Corps Discussion on the forum list. :tongue:

Edited by MiniSopGuy