Does anyone really care about Open Class?

Lol it's sarcasm.

My favorite corps is actually an open class corps, even though they're currently inactive.

I seriously love open class.

Sounds like a Fever Fan!!!!!

I think that people care, but the class doesn't get as much exposure from the higher power.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a Fever Fan!!!!!

I think that people care, but the class doesn't get as much exposure from the higher power.

Fever Fan indeed.

I like Open Class. It reminds me of 1980s drum Corps.

Some Corps are stonger than others but I find them all interesting.

I find it rude to leave my seat while a corps of any size or talent level is performing.

Edited by Kansan

I do care, and I really wonder how viable a full tour is for any Open Class corps. In fact, I can see more either going inactive or going to a predominantly weekend competition schedule with maybe a three week "full tour" to finish the season.

That or just a merger with DCI Open class and DCA. :tongue:

I do care, and I really wonder how viable a full tour is for any Open Class corps. In fact, I can see more either going inactive or going to a predominantly weekend competition schedule with maybe a three week "full tour" to finish the season.

Where did the "full tour" conversation come from? The point of the conversation is that Open Class corps seem to be something that will go the way of the dinosaur due to a lack of proactive support... even if so-called drum corps fans are passively supporting them by "wishing them well."

So... if people don't support the Open Class corps, they generate no dollars with which to get paid. If they generate no dollars and have no profits to share, the corps have a greater burden to raise funds through other means. The often smaller and less resourced Open Class corps now need to focus more attention on fund raising than on growing the quality of their programs... and so the "death spiral" continues.

Open class ,class A , all girl and div 1, 2, 3, all step children of D.C.I at one time as your world class was to the V.F.W .Maby a new beggining is needed.N.F.L Arena football both the same game just the way it's marketed.Go back to the small towns that can't afford a D.C.I show that would love to have a show again Join D.C.A or start your own.Have your championships your rules move to indoor but stop trying to be someone else .

If the Open Class were to disappear off of the face of the earth, would anyone other than the marching members notice? Every year, I read many threads here and elsewhere about the lack of support these corps get from DCI, etc., but it seems to me that no one shows up for their shows and even their Finals don't have large crowds. It seems to me that this has less to do with DCI and more to do with a lack of support (respect?) on the the part of drum corps fans. Even at so-called "mixed" shows here in the once small corps-friendly midwest, many of those considering themselves to be "big time" fans of drum corps don't show up in the stands until intermission.

Reminds me of when Home Depot came into my town and the small hardware store on Main Street closed up and went out of business. My neighbors all whined about "Big Bad Home Depot," but none of them shopped at the old store anyway. "It was too inconvenient," they said.

Aww man... not this conversation again.

I think they need to bring back Open Class finals to the "big stadium" and hold it at night.

I remember back when i marched in 99 and 2000 that finals were at night the night before quarterfinals in the same stadium as everyone else.

I remember Madison vividly, but I'm pretty sure Maryland was well attended as well. Madison definitely had several thousand fans in the stands that night. It was easily the most people i had performed in front of until that point.

The age-out ceremony was also held before II/III finals, so most of the Div I corps were also in attendance.

I'm sure most of the people that came to see their kids age-out stayed that night to get an "appetizer" for the rest of the weekend. I can't quite understand why this format is no longer being used. Putting Open class champs off site again will definitely keep the large crowds away this year just like it did lat year.

I think they need to bring back Open Class finals to the "big stadium" and hold it at night.

I remember back when i marched in 99 and 2000 that finals were at night the night before quarterfinals in the same stadium as everyone else.

I remember Madison vividly, but I'm pretty sure Maryland was well attended as well. Madison definitely had several thousand fans in the stands that night. It was easily the most people i had performed in front of until that point.

The age-out ceremony was also held before II/III finals, so most of the Div I corps were also in attendance.

I'm sure most of the people that came to see their kids age-out stayed that night to get an "appetizer" for the rest of the weekend. I can't quite understand why this format is no longer being used. Putting Open class champs off site again will definitely keep the large crowds away this year just like it did lat year.

I completely agree, I was excited just to be in finals. But looking back I can't believe how small the crowd was...........

Where did the "full tour" conversation come from? The point of the conversation is that Open Class corps seem to be something that will go the way of the dinosaur due to a lack of proactive support... even if so-called drum corps fans are passively supporting them by "wishing them well."

So... if people don't support the Open Class corps, they generate no dollars with which to get paid. If they generate no dollars and have no profits to share, the corps have a greater burden to raise funds through other means. The often smaller and less resourced Open Class corps now need to focus more attention on fund raising than on growing the quality of their programs... and so the "death spiral" continues.

Eric,

This time it wasn't ME!

Joe Cav.