Head Hunters

So I'm a member of micromarching.com, and on their forum section I make it a point to post every corps opening I find. I may be too old to march any of those holes, but there's people on their that aren't. I've noticed a few people around here do the same thing in other places, which is awesome.

What I'm wondering is, since there are people who try to match holes with marchers or marchers with holes, would the activity benefit from DCI or DCP or someone employing a few "head hunters" part time? I forget that actual term for this...I think it's "staffers"....but I've always known them in industry terms as head hunters, that basically match people with jobs and negotiate a salary. They're usually networking kinds of people who develop strong relationships with employers and also with groups of people looking for jobs.

So I guess a head hunter in drum corps would make it their job to just develop relationships with different band directors or maybe even music chairs at the district level, and also stay in touch with the corps and make it their job to help get all the holes filled by the time summer rolls around. They'd probably do scouting at school district I&E events (we call it Solo and Ensemble in Clark County) and probably the district and state honor bands too. And maybe (not sure the logistics of this one) they could negotiate a tour fee with the corps for the marcher. No kick backs or anything, but just negotiations on tour fees as the season gets closer (which a lot of corps actually offer to new marchers anyways).

I'm not talking anything full time....just a part time gig through some drum corps venue other than an actual corps, and a few people would have this gig across the country, working in a few specific regions.

So, thoughts? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Talent scouts" might be a better term.

I think even if people who are part of the activity that are at all of these events anyway... maybe if judges at these shows were encouraged to do so?

I think some programs already do a good job with this. We see tables setup at marching band competitions with TVs and handouts and everything.

However, I think that most corps fill holes through internal networks...

Case in point...I am flying out Saturday to fill a hole that was never annouced publicly at a corps that shall remain nameless. :tongue:

Six years and counting...weeeeerd.

So how about if DCI collected the contact information for every single auditionee (or at least had the corps use a standard spreadsheet that they submitted), then made that information available internally to every DCI World and Open Class corps. Maybe set a rule that kids offered contracts or put on "call-back" notice are removed from each list. Then, if a corps has an opening, or maybe an Open Class corps is having trouble getting kids to come out, there's a ready-made national list that they could use to find local talent.

In addition, it would also give DCI a boost to their mailing / marketing and *alumni* lists, as well as being fairly easy to implement and execute.

Mike

So how about if DCI collected the contact information for every single auditionee (or at least had the corps use a standard spreadsheet that they submitted), then made that information available internally to every DCI World and Open Class corps. Maybe set a rule that kids offered contracts or put on "call-back" notice are removed from each list. Then, if a corps has an opening, or maybe an Open Class corps is having trouble getting kids to come out, there's a ready-made national list that they could use to find local talent.

In addition, it would also give DCI a boost to their mailing / marketing and *alumni* lists, as well as being fairly easy to implement and execute.

Mike

That's a great idea and logic would tell you it would be easy to pull off. But, corps don't share their information with anyone including DCI.

Edited by DrumCorps2008

Who pays the service fees for this " talent scout " ?

I can't see Corps like The Cadets and Blue Devils just to name a few needing a service like this, when they literally have multiple talented kids they are turning away as it is with so few spots open each year.

That leaves the mid level or lower level Corps. These Corps are strapped for revenue relative to the so called elite corps as it is. And also.... why would a Band Director want to pay a Talent Scout a service fee to march a particular Corps, when the Bands are usually strapped for cash as well.

DCI probably won't pay for such a fee, it seems to me as it could be seen later as a conflict of interest and opens the door to influence peddling and favoritism, and Gawd knows they ALREADY have some folks out there trying to beat them over the head on that. Thus, I just don't see how it could work. But maybe I'm missing something here too.

Edited by BRASSO

In my experience, I find that the role of the 'head hunters' is performed by the staff, as they bring up their high school / winterguard / winter drumline students. Their other programs sometimes serve as a farm system for their drum corps programs.

So I'm a member of micromarching.com, and on their forum section I make it a point to post every corps opening I find. I may be too old to march any of those holes, but there's people on their that aren't. I've noticed a few people around here do the same thing in other places, which is awesome.

What I'm wondering is, since there are people who try to match holes with marchers or marchers with holes, would the activity benefit from DCI or DCP or someone employing a few "head hunters" part time? I forget that actual term for this...I think it's "staffers"....but I've always known them in industry terms as head hunters, that basically match people with jobs and negotiate a salary. They're usually networking kinds of people who develop strong relationships with employers and also with groups of people looking for jobs.

So I guess a head hunter in drum corps would make it their job to just develop relationships with different band directors or maybe even music chairs at the district level, and also stay in touch with the corps and make it their job to help get all the holes filled by the time summer rolls around. They'd probably do scouting at school district I&E events (we call it Solo and Ensemble in Clark County) and probably the district and state honor bands too. And maybe (not sure the logistics of this one) they could negotiate a tour fee with the corps for the marcher. No kick backs or anything, but just negotiations on tour fees as the season gets closer (which a lot of corps actually offer to new marchers anyways).

I'm not talking anything full time....just a part time gig through some drum corps venue other than an actual corps, and a few people would have this gig across the country, working in a few specific regions.

So, thoughts? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

That's a great idea and logic would tell you it would be easy to pull off. But, corps don't share their information with anyone including DCI.

So make 'em. Corps never shared web media ever, but we've got the Fan Network this year. <shrug>

Mike

I do this all the time. Ive got some circles of friends that teach HS Bands and when i see opening I ship kids off. I would like to do it on a larger scale. I had to do it back in 06 when KK went inactive. I helped everyone that wanted to march elsewhere get a spot.

I think i will start putting video's and pics of members who want to march together for next year, or maybe later down the road if someone gets hurt.