After the first night, have you opinions and predictions changed?

After seeing the Rockford show last night, I know I sure have a few opinion changes.

First, I think Cavaliers are gonna stay in top 3. But, I don't see this show as a championship show. I can't wait to see Blue Devils and Cadets now, as I think these 2 corps are gonna fight for the championship.

Phantom Regiment, I thought would slip to 7th this year. Now I don't foresee them slipping lower than 6th, and possibly in 4th or 5th. Musically this is a great show. Drill however, is typical of the last 4 seasons, even with new personnel writing their drill. Brass may be in the running for the trophy.

Crown has a very nice show. I had an odd feeling, as this show to me is like a DCI greatest hits of the SCV, Cadets and Phantom shows of past, but arrangements in a style similar to Star Of Indiana. It reminds me of Stars 92 show a little for some reason. I don't foresee them raising in the standings this year, and wouldn't be surprised now if they slip a spot. Still a great show, but not quite to the level of last year in GE. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Phantom if they had a great night, and Phantom was a little off, but I wouldn't expect them to beat Phantom this year come finals week.

I think Colts are safe to stay in finals, and I still think Blue Stars are going to make it once again, after a long hiatus.

Madison Scouts-after hearing all the pre-season hype, I though they would be making finals once again. After seeing them last night, I can honestly say they are going to have work extremely hard to get to that point. Musically the show is very good, but not what I would call great. The drill has some great moments, but overall just falls a little short. Still early season, but I wouldn't count on seeing them on Saturday in Indiana.

So my changes from last week

Cavies aren't as solid as I thought they would be

Phantom is stronger than I thought they would be

Madsion isn't quite to the level I was hoping/thought they would be

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After seeing the Rockford show last night, I know I sure have a few opinion changes.

First, I think Cavaliers are gonna stay in top 3. But, I don't see this show as a championship show. I can't wait to see Blue Devils and Cadets now, as I think these 2 corps are gonna fight for the championship.

Phantom Regiment, I thought would slip to 7th this year. Now I don't foresee them slipping lower than 6th, and possibly in 4th or 5th. Musically this is a great show. Drill however, is typical of the last 4 seasons, even with new personnel writing their drill. Brass may be in the running for the trophy.

Crown has a very nice show. I had an odd feeling, as this show to me is like a DCI greatest hits of the SCV, Cadets and Phantom shows of past, but arrangements in a style similar to Star Of Indiana. It reminds me of Stars 92 show a little for some reason. I don't foresee them raising in the standings this year, and wouldn't be surprised now if they slip a spot. Still a great show, but not quite to the level of last year in GE. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Phantom if they had a great night, and Phantom was a little off, but I wouldn't expect them to beat Phantom this year come finals week.

I think Colts are safe to stay in finals, and I still think Blue Stars are going to make it once again, after a long hiatus.

Madison Scouts-after hearing all the pre-season hype, I though they would be making finals once again. After seeing them last night, I can honestly say they are going to have work extremely hard to get to that point. Musically the show is very good, but not what I would call great. The drill has some great moments, but overall just falls a little short. Still early season, but I wouldn't count on seeing them on Saturday in Indiana.

I think:

1.)Cadets

2.)Blue Devils

3.)Phantom Regiment

4.)Cavies

5.)SCV

6.)Boston

7.)Crown

I've been very curious about Cavies' show this year. Can you give a little insight if you don't mind?

Interesting you should say that because from what I've read, everyone else who was at the show last night said the Cavies show was a home run and that it could very well go unbeaten. Just wondering what you saw that gave you the impression that they aren't as strong.

I'm sorry, you're not allowed your "opinions" ... especially if they are full of excitement and hype. :tongue:

JUST KEEDIN' !! LOLz...

THIS would be the right way (IN MY OPINION) to express opinions about your disappointment or let down of a particular corps you had higher hopes for than to go into a dedicated thread for that corps and start bashing. In a thread that clearly states or implies people will express opinions... good and bad... in that thread, one can choose to not go in and hear bad stuff they don't want to hear about their favorite corps (but they should go in to be able to understand all the POV's!) (IMO!) (LOL!)

I CHOOSE not to go into the Cadets thread, because I don't want to be critical of a program that presents itself in a way I don't really care for. But the people and fan base who DO like it and the person who directs the corps to that type of show have a place to talk about it there without me going in and stirring that pot...

ANYWHOOOOO...

YOUR opinion differs a little from some others here and there who saw the shows last night as well, but it's certainly OK (IN MY OPINION) :smile: you expressed them and made valid arguments (especially since you were THERE) to support your POV. YAY!

Interesting you should say that because from what I've read, everyone else who was at the show last night said the Cavies show was a home run and that it could very well go unbeaten. Just wondering what you saw that gave you the impression that they aren't as strong.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cavies, and love this show. But you know how some years you just see a show and it screams CHAMPIONSHIP, well on first viewing ,this one didn't. Musically it is great, and visually it is great, as usual, but to me, at this time, just didn't scream of a championship show. I will be seeing it again this coming weekend so I may change my mind.

That being said, I don't foresee anyone other than Cadets or BD beating them this season.

Edited by Melissa Sampson

I know it's early, and it's difficult to make any real predictions after the first show of the year for corps. However:

* surprised a little bit that Cavaliers were only .2 away from Phantom in percussion. It's nice to see Cavaliers' percussion back with the big dogs, and hopefully this is a sign that they will be contending all season

* Cadets being .3 behind Bluecoats in percussion is also cool, IMO. While Bluecoats have been building an amazing percussion program the past few years, it's nice to see Cadets challenging them. I heard a few Cadets drummers fell, and with a good run from Cadets (i.e. no one falling) perhaps that spread would've been a lot different.

* Bluecoats third in visual is not a great sign that they have turned things around in their visual program. Yes, it's early and who knows what the season will bring, but to be almost a point back in visual from BAC does not seem promising for Bluecoats to be contending for a Top 3 spot. Their execution was kind of close to Cadets, but this time of year what's more interesting to compare, IMO, is the design sub-captions (since everyone is at their dirtiest in June).

* cool to see Crossmen close to Glassmen, with a hefty spread in percussion! Growing up in the drum corps world of the late 80's and (especially) early 90's, it's nice to see a sign that Crossmen's percussion is coming back a bit! Perhaps Crossmen will be in the mix for Top 12 this year after all, thus making the fight to make Finals even greater than I would've thought!

* in CA, I _REALLY_ like where SCV is headed! They didn't seem to have a great run judging from the webcast, but once they clean up everything they could seriously end up Top 3 (I say this having not seen anyone but the CA groups on the webcast). Their brass book is substantially more difficult than last years, their battery seems a bit better, their guard looks great, and their drill is just as sweet (if not sweeter) than last the previous few years. I'd love to see them pull things together and make a run at Top 3, and this year's program could do it for them. It will be great to have Phantom out here in Cali to give SCV competition!

So far the year isn't generating a ton of surprises for me, at least. Once members start getting confident with their shows and performing better, we'll have a better idea of what's to come this season! But so far already I like the shows better than last year.

I've been very curious about Cavies' show this year. Can you give a little insight if you don't mind?

It is an awesome show. And while at this point, I wouldn't predict it to win at finals, it does remind me a little of their 2002 production. It is very visual, drill is very reminiscent of the last 5 years. I guess if there is one weakness, the show doesn't feature the brass enough. I really thought they could do(and I am sure changes are coming) a little more musically, to add to the wonderful percussion arrangements this year. But like their shows in 02, and 06, the theme is fully evident through the whole show(well, actually any show since 2000). Guard has some awesome work, and really convey the show. Some great weapon work.

Overall it was a great show, and I am sure it will be a crowd favorite throughout the season.

On comparison to other corps yesterday, I would have had them 2nd in brass, behind Phantom. I think the nice surprise was how wonderful Blue Stars and Colts brass lines were. I would have had them 3rd in guard, behind Colts(A wonderful surprise there) and Crown. Drums would have been close between them and Phantom, I thought maybe Phantom was a little better, but possibly because it seems like the drums are really exposed in Cavies show. Visual there was absolutely no comparison. Cavies should be at least 1.4 ahead of anyone else in that caption last night.

Look for some vids on that unmentionable place later today, as I did see a couple of people taking videos.

It is an awesome show. And while at this point, I wouldn't predict it to win at finals, it does remind me a little of their 2002 production. It is very visual, drill is very reminiscent of the last 5 years. I guess if there is one weakness, the show doesn't feature the brass enough. I really thought they could do(and I am sure changes are coming) a little more musically, to add to the wonderful percussion arrangements this year. But like their shows in 02, and 06, the theme is fully evident through the whole show(well, actually any show since 2000). Guard has some awesome work, and really convey the show. Some great weapon work.

Overall it was a great show, and I am sure it will be a crowd favorite throughout the season.

On comparison to other corps yesterday, I would have had them 2nd in brass, behind Phantom. I think the nice surprise was how wonderful Blue Stars and Colts brass lines were. I would have had them 3rd in guard, behind Colts(A wonderful surprise there) and Crown. Drums would have been close between them and Phantom, I thought maybe Phantom was a little better, but possibly because it seems like the drums are really exposed in Cavies show. Visual there was absolutely no comparison. Cavies should be at least 1.4 ahead of anyone else in that caption last night.

Look for some vids on that unmentionable place later today, as I did see a couple of people taking videos.

Thanks a lot for the review!!! Now I am excited to see that show as well. I saw a picture somewhere of some guard members doing a cartwheel while some other guard members were doing a rifle toss. What's that all about?

Not sure if I am qualified to post in this thread, as technically, I haven't been to any of the shows this weekend.

I did however see the Cadets run through on Friday. And while their musical book feels a good step or two above last year's and their visual program is solid as usual (for this point), I couldn't help feel this could be another '06 for them.

I know their "storytelling" commitment is obviously in effect this year, and as we have seen in the past, any narration will cause some heated debate. While I wasn't a huge fan of it last year, it did grow on me and 07 is one of my favorite shows of theirs. This year though, the story seems really... forced (for lack of a better word). I'm sure there will be revisions on the way for the narration, but at this point, it really seems like they are having issues summing up happiness in an 11 minute show.

The danger you run into using spoken word is that it takes whatever message you want to convey in the show from being figurative to literal. And there are just some aspects of the Cadets' interpretation of happiness that I don't really agree with.

That kinda takes me out of the show a bit and I'm thinking it will take the judges out as well (if scored properly).