When did YOU realize that Crown's hornline was "for real&quot

I remember seeing them for the first time live in 05 at San Antionio and I was completly blown away. That was by far my favorite show that year. It was also a really cool experience getting to play with the corps in 07, but I didn't get to march the summer becasue I hurt my back during a camp in March. I'd played with other staffs before, but Crowns staff was simply amazing to work with and it was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done for those camps I got to do that year. I can't wait to hear them again this year because I'm sure they'll be spectacular!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an interesting thread. What does legitimate or "for real" mean in regards to a music ensemble?...in this case, a brass line in the drum corps activity?

Do you mean really freakin' good, one of the best there is, top four or five, or do you mean no longer bad? Is this in relation to where they ultimately place?

Semantics can be a tough monkey to punch, especially in this activity (my own play with semantics). A title of legitimate for some suggests that anything thing that does not deserve that label is not legit. A title of "for real" suggests that anything that does not deserve that label is not "for real". I do assume to know what you mean ( a great hornline that ranks among the best, a line that is more than good or even great)..? I guess I am just always nervous of how over the past thirty years the activity has become so focused on recognizing those at the top, those underneath are quickly going away. How we describe and label those "underneath" is sensitive business.

Not calling anyone out. As I stated, I do know what you mean and share many of the memories of Crown's great brass achievements listed in this thread, particularly in the past several seasons. Just lookin' out for anyone who might think their brass experiences were not/are not "for real."

I think the turnaround begin in 2003 when Matt Harloff took over the line. They've progressed each year since that point and the 2008 hornline will be the strongest yet.

The Donnie Van Doren "disciples" as I like to call them have spread throughout the activity with their "breathe-dah" mantra and have really turned some programs around.

We, the 1999 corps, were the first Crown corps to get the DVD/Star people and it was a great improvement over 1998. Of course after the season ended, they all left to go start that little thing we know as BLAST! I wonder where Crown would be today if BLAST! had never happened and the program started to grow in 1999 instead of delaying it four years when Matt Harloff showed up.

The only thing I know for certain....2002 would have NEVER happened.

'04 - Bohemia!

'05 - Angelus

'06 - in.trance.it

'07 - Triple Crown

'08 - Finis

:lol::thumbup::biggrin::thumbup::biggrin::laugh::lol:

I listen to them all EVERY day as I commute back and forth to work. Can't get enough of CROWN, CROWN, CROWN!

Gorgeous horn line and exciting shows!!!!!!!

made a little edit for you.

HONESTLY..... CAROLINA CROWN'S HORNLINE HAS ALWAYS BEEN MOVING ON UP LIKE THE JEFFERSONS........

FIRST REALIZED THE HORNLINE WAS FOR REAL WAS IN 1994 DURING THE MIDDLE OF SANTA FE SAGA.... THEN IN 1995 WATERMARK BY ENYA IN THE BALLAD....... THEN IN COMES YEA! AND THEY SPUN THERE WHEELS FOR A FEW YEARS UNTIL.... THEN IN 2003WHEN THE HARLOFF/FEAGAN/VANDOREAN/KLESCH CREW CAME TO CROWN...... "LIKE LIL JON SAID" THEY TOOK THAT S.H.I.T. TO ANOTHER LEVELLLLLLL!!!!!!

TRULY AMAZING WHEN YOU LOOK AT THERE AVERAGE AGE OF THERE PERFORMERS IN THE BRASS SECTION......

CAROLINA CROWN BRASS IS LEGIT.......BUT NOT AS LEGIT AS THERE COLOR GUARD....... 2ND AT FINALS IN 2008..... WOW.....

"IM GOING TO CAROLINA IN MY MIND" with a sick a.s.s HORNLINE!!!!!!

~K~

Edited by kndl2vb

2003 - beginning of season - new uniforms, new look and specifically, NEW SOUND for the corps after a rather flat 2002. I saw them early on at Giants stadium. I was distracted by the new unis and the plume on the side of their shako, until they hit the first big hit after all of the bell sounds - WOW, quickly forgot about the plumes after that :)

I would have to agree. Bellisimo was really when they got my attention! :biggrin:

Then 05, 06, & 07 :laugh::lol:

Edited by gbell211

Rockford, this year, during the tuba solo in Hungarian Rhapsody. :biggrin:

First got some hints back in '04, and hearing last year's show cinched it.

Yeah, definitely hints from 03 and 04, but I believe I first began to rejoice singing Crown's songs in 05 with Angelus. Lush brass chords.