2008 Cadets show

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IT IS BECAUSE OF THE CADETS SHOW, AND THE DIRECTION IT TAKES THE ACTIVITY, THAT I WILL NOT GIVE YEA 1 CENT TO ATTEND!

Maybe I am the only one?

That's kinda interesting. I've been pushing a total boycott of DCI due to the direction, and there are a lot of people that hate the direction that cannot completely drop the activity. To DCI, bums in seats = revenue = everything's alright.

Perhaps a noticeable drop in the attendance at YEA-sponsored shows would be be attainable. It's only one(?) show to miss per season but the focus on Mr. Hopkins leadership in the new direction could not be mistaken.

If you can't drop the whole activity, maybe this could be a way to make your voice heard. Just a thought....

Edited by kusankusho

That's kinda interesting. I've been pushing a total boycott of DCI due to the direction, and there are a lot of people that hate the direction that cannot completely drop the activity. To DCI, bums in seats = revenue = everything's alright.

Perhaps a noticeable drop in the attendance at YEA-sponsored shows would be be attainable. It's only one(?) show to miss per season but the focus on Mr. Hopkins leadership in the new direction could not be mistaken.

If you can't drop the whole activity, maybe this could be a way to make your voice heard. Just a thought....

Just so you are aware, The Cadets are not the only corps at those shows.

"Just a thought...."

Has anyone ever thought that after 25+ years putting on shows, maybe he and some of the design staff aren't contented to throw out the same old stuff every year? Maybe after rehashing the same old Drum Corps show filled with the "Malaguena"s and the "West Side Story"s for a quarter of a century they want to try and expand the activity to see if they can create anything deeper from 11 1/2 minutes. Sure some of the stuff probably wont/doesn't work, but I would rather see a corps do something different than watching a rehash of "Young Person"s guide..." or "Candide" year after year.

Hop once said that one of the reasons he didn't do West Side Story again in 2004 (which was the rumor going into winter camps) was because he knew it would be good. He told us if you know something is going to be good, then why do you even need to do it? What he was getting at is unless there is that risk that it could all come crumbling down, you will become complacent with where you are and what you do. (at least that is what I take out of it)

Has anyone ever thought that after 25+ years putting on shows, maybe he and some of the design staff aren't contented to throw out the same old stuff every year? Maybe after rehashing the same old Drum Corps show filled with the "Malaguena"s and the "West Side Story"s for a quarter of a century they want to try and expand the activity to see if they can create anything deeper from 11 1/2 minutes. Sure some of the stuff probably wont/doesn't work, but I would rather see a corps do something different than watching a rehash of "Young Person"s guide..." or "Candide" year after year.

Hop once said that one of the reasons he didn't do West Side Story again in 2004 (which was the rumor going into winter camps) was because he knew it would be good. He told us if you know something is going to be good, then why do you even need to do it? What he was getting at is unless there is that risk that it could all come crumbling down, you will become complacent with where you are and what you do. (at least that is what I take out of it)

And he also said the same thing to us in 2000. We were originally supposed to do Appalachian Spring, but he had the same thoughts that he had about West Side Story, which is why the corps did the Millenium show instead.

Just so you are aware, The Cadets are not the only corps at those shows.

"Just a thought...."

Gee - you mean there is more than one corps at a show? Thanks for pointing that out for me - in the last 40 or so years of being involved with drum corps I never ever noticed that phenomenon. I'm so glad you were here to help me out on that....

/sarky

So - what do you want? Can't boo, can't go get a hotdog, can't boycott all of DCI, can't boycott a particular corps now? Are there any other metaphorical books you'd like to burn here? Because it appears that while a contrary thought might be allowed, any action taken on that thought is taboo on the grounds of "hurting the kids"....

And he also said the same thing to us in 2000. We were originally supposed to do Appalachian Spring, but he had the same thoughts that he had about West Side Story, which is why the corps did the Millenium show instead.

cool cool, He told us he was very close to scraping the whole uniform for 2000 as well (put the corps in street clothes), but he would have lost a major donor in the process, so he shelved the idea.

...and the cynic in me says that's a great tactic. You win both ways. If the experiment is a success - you were a genius and everyone thinks they were part of something extraordinary (and in 2000 at least, they were). If it flops, you already built your back door by warning them all in advance.

Gee - you mean there is more than one corps at a show? Thanks for pointing that out for me - in the last 40 or so years of being involved with drum corps I never ever noticed that phenomenon. I'm so glad you were here to help me out on that....

/sarky

You're welcome. I just thought you should know that other corps are performing at those shows.

So - what do you want? Can't boo, can't go get a hotdog, can't boycott all of DCI, can't boycott a particular corps now? Are there any other metaphorical books you'd like to burn here? Because it appears that while a contrary thought might be allowed, any action taken on that thought is taboo on the grounds of "hurting the kids"....

I never said you couldn't do any of those things, and even if someone did, you'd do it anyways so what's the point. You know something, do as you wish. But put yourself in those kids' shoes if you can do that. When it all comes down to it, you are hurting them more than you are hurting the organization.

Edited by 2000Cadet

/sarky

Who said you can't boo, can't get a hot dog, or can't boycott DCI?

It's still a free country. While I look at booing as being extremely childish and immature, you have every right to do so. Same thing with getting a hot dog. Last I checked, the Cadets staff don't restrain people in their seats as the corps takes the field. And boycotting DCI? Go for it.

Tekk's point (I believe) was that you'd be hurting other corps as well. Not just the Cadets.