2008 Cadets show

I just want to ask this... is this Cadets show, this style of portraying a very deep message... and frankly, a very serious and sometimes depressing message... where some people want drum corps to go? To teach us things about cancer, corporate ladder climbing, and who knows where that could lead?

This year's Cadets' show is just that. A show. From one corps.

Honestly, I don't see how the Cadets doing ONE show with a "heavy" theme is a sign of anything. I like it because it's something different that I won't get from any other corps. I like other corps because they remain more "traditional". That's part of the beauty of drum corps - that you can go to a show and watch and listen to a variety of ideas, concepts, etc.

Until other corps start doing shows of this nature, I'm really not worried about it being a dark, ominous sign of things to come.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going too, I'll take a picture of you taking a picture of the crowd! :smile:

I'll be the black guy in the Yankee cap and the muscle shirt. :smile:

What is his "aim"?

well, thats fairly obvious. he wants to be drum corps futurist, the leader of the most cutting edge, innovative, artistic drum corps on the planet, the guy who by the example of his corps product changes and improves the activity by leading it into new and exciting possibilities for ongoing growth and development. in short, what george hopkins wants most in the world is to be george hopkins in 1984 again. and he's so caught up in his passion to be 1984 george that he has complete lost his perspective, and just can't get why the same people who loved change when it came from 1984 george don't love change when it comes from 2008 george. he's so mired in this syllogical trap of his own creation that he just doesn't quite understand that people don't hate change, or the cadets, or 1984 george, or even 2008 george. in the end, they really just don't like what he's doing, after a long career of picking right he's picked wrong, he chose (with narration) a faulty vehicle for change and now instead of being mr. cutting edge excitement he's the guy who stays too long at a party wanting everyone to listen to his perfect party mix disc.

the funny thing is, 1984 george would never have spent 4 years butting his head into the same wall if it wasn't working. no matter how great he thought something was, if it wasn't electrifying audiences and burning down stadiums he would have dumped it and gone on to something else. 1984 george was fast and flexible, and his priority was to find something that really worked, not to convince people that what he was doing worked whether they liked it or not. i kind of miss 1984 george, now that i think about it.

the funny thing is, 1984 george would never have spent 4 years butting his head into the same wall if it wasn't working. no matter how great he thought something was, if it wasn't electrifying audiences and burning down stadiums he would have dumped it and gone on to something else. 1984 george was fast and flexible, and his priority was to find something that really worked, not to convince people that what he was doing worked whether they liked it or not. i kind of miss 1984 george, now that i think about it.

Not sure I would agree that it's not working. Of the three years on the books where the Cadets have employed the use of voice, they have one championship, and one 2nd place finish. Now you can argue that the corps hasn't set the stadium on fire like they have done in the past, and I'd have to agree with you to some degree. (Although, I feel that for every person that booed them last year, there was someone throwing their child on to the field as well.)

But I'm not sure that you can say narration has necessarily hurt them competitively.

First, I marched with the Cadets (Garfield Cadets) in 84 through 86 and I'm not sure who you are talking about. I know George Hopkins personally. Do I agree with everything George says or does? NO! I have had the opportunity to discuss our differences on many occasions. George Hopkins loves putting on a great show but more than that, he is more concerned about the experience the young people have then anything else. He has always been that way and it has only become more intense for him as the years go by. He is devoted to the corp and those young people. Sometimes more then himself.

Second, Mad_Scotty, your profile says you marched in the Madison Scouts in '93 so what would you know about George Hopkins in 1984??? That would mean the oldest you were in '84 was 12?? :smile: Maybe 13?? So how and where did you get your opinion of George who you have never spent a summer with?? Or have you??

Edited by wamba84

Someone telling ME what happiness is...we don't need told how to be happy.

agreed...we used to have consevatives trying to push their opinions down our throats, I'm not sure I want to trade that for a liberal message.

Somewhere along the line we all started taking ourselves a little too seriously.

Just play LOUDLY and we promise we'll give you a stand O you'll never forget...

No one is telling you what should make you happy. It's the story of one woman's discovery of happiness.

It not a conspiracy. And it's not because of the Cadets show. For the first time in awhile people have to cut back on the trips they take and the money they spend. Drum Corp is not a necessity for everyone. As much as we love the activity, not everyone has the same passion for it.

Well...

I have alot of passion for the activity.

It ranks as a necessity, for me, right up there near food.

I already arranged to be off work next weekend.

I have the money to spend to go, (in fact, I will travel close to the show sight to watch Crown or BAC rehearse).

IT IS BECAUSE OF THE CADETS SHOW, AND THE DIRECTION IT TAKES THE ACTIVITY, THAT I WILL NOT GIVE YEA 1 CENT TO ATTEND!

Maybe I am the only one?

he is more concerned about the experience the young people have then anything else.

I've never met the guy so I'll be the first to concede that you know him better, but if the above statement is true why does he continue to put those young people in a position where the all-too-predictable reaction to his initiatives culminates in situations like hash-gate last year? Surely he realizes why that happened yet he continues to push more rule changes.