So, I emailed Directv today.

Oh well shame on him for sending his e-mail. It really isn't your place to criticize him for e-mailing DirecTV and requesting that they pursue the broadcast. It certainly can't hurt for a customer to e-mail and let them know what they would like to see. Your post really teed me off. Here is someone trying to do something positive and share it with us and you come off with this reply...

If DCI wants a pay-per-view broadcast I'm sure they have guys on the payroll that will look into it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

could we please get back to bashing narration, figuring out slotting, and working on learning who is flying the black helicopters?

This thread is detracting from so many other quality posts.... (I would LOVE to see DTV add PPV, write all the e-mails you want)

Edited by Casaba

That's the problem. With the loss of an aired Finals, who is DCI serving now?

The people who watch Quarterfinals in the theater and Semifinals on their computers? Or the live webcasts of the regionals all summer?

There are more options to watch DCI right now than ever before.

Having more options for fans is great. However, the loss of a mainstream viewing venue for people who have never witnessed a drum corps performance is bad for the future of the activity. I pay for the fan network, buy the dvds, and if I lived within 2 hours of the Quarter Finals broadcast in theaters, I would attend. How many people are going to lay down money to see "some band thing" if they have never witnessed it?

Great point.

When a pay-per-view event is scheduled, there is usually a great deal of marketing for it; on television, monthly bills, and internet marketing.

While this won't reach as many new fans as the PBS/ESPN2 telecast, it is a more appealing venue than asking a new member to pay to sit in front of the computer and watch a streaming video.

Here's an idea:

Have a pay-per-view party and invite your friends.

I think if DCI did things right, they could do a poll on the subject on their website. DCI could find out an estimate as to cost of recording, producing, and broadcasting the event. Perhaps they could perform a randomly sampled telephone survey from recent DCI product customers. "Would you be willing to purchase a pay-per-view telecast of Finals for $xx (or whatever the figure would be).

I am very appreciative of the things DCI has done.

Edited by Elmo Blatch

Just because there are more options of seeing the shows does not mean that more people will be able to see them. As of myself, I will not be able to attend Quarters at a theater or watch Semis on the computer because I will be busy with college band camp. This will probably be the first year I actually buy a DVD so I can actually see all the shows. I always looked forward to the TV broadcast, even if it was just parts of shows not even any Open Class. Last year when the broadcast started, I was in instant tears. To me the broadcast is more about reliving your memories from on the road the summer before, or anytime you were on the road. Its more than just seeing the shows. I'm not mad at the fact the broadcast is gone. In order to save money, things do need to be cancelled from time to time. But if anything can be done to bring it back, I will gladly support it.

While this is wonderful thought, the fact of the matter is, it would never happen, for many reasons. It would be just as expensive to rpoduce this type of program as it would to produce the ESPN show. And to top it off, I seriously doubt the revenue from the show would be able to cover the costs.

The other question is how much of the pay-per-view audience would stay home and watch the show rather than attend a championship? The ultimate goal is to get people to travel to Indy.

$75 a ticket (times 2) vs. the $40 for one tv and a room full of people, you do the math. It's a money losing venture for DCI.

Believe me when I say, having a pay-per-view broadcast has been investigated by DCI numerous times, and each time it's been determined that it's not a cost effective option. Knowing what I do about the broadcast industry, I have to agree with DCI's findings. Its NOT a smart business move.