Why do we have to be a Dinosaur

:rolleyes::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Oh yeah. With all the pit equipment (and more electronics coming), Drum Corps will be pricing itself out of control, and more Corps will be forced to take a year off, or fold. Some may think the activity is better, but only if you consider that it is far less inclusive, (a good musician becoming better. No more someone who can't play joining a corps), far less corps, everything being the same, and far less corps, and the gap between band and corps is narrowing.

So for those who want more gimmicks, and costly equipment versus great ideas and creativity, be careful what you wish for. Someday you may be the kings of nothing. (No one will care anymore, and there may have to be a "Final Four" instead of "Top Twelve".)

No - you have it backwards.

With electronics and amped brass, drum corps becomes more affordable. All you need is about 8 pit (1 snare, one tenor, one bass (on an electronic 5-bass set), and 5 folks on "keybords/Aux perc; all electronic and amped), 7 brass (all amped). The rest, dancers/flags/weapons - say 80 total. Everyonne fits on two busses; everything fits one one truck. Pure genious, DCI .

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know any songs, overtures or musicals about breast cancer, can you hum a few bars for me ? Without narration if you can ?

thought i would help you on your quest :rolleyes:

http://www.drdonnica.com/celebrities/00006741.htm

http://www.breakthrough.org.uk/breast_canc.../songs_for.html

http://www.lycos.com/info/melissa-etheridg...ast-cancer.html

http://www.amazon.ca/Lets-Fund-Fight-Breas...8918&sr=1-1

You could have just played a few notes of "The Way We Were" mixed with some "Time Warp" and "We Are The World" and we would have gotten the message without all the narration Mr. Boo.

Unfortunately, Drum Corps Planet doesn't come with sound.

I prefer to be called a Velociraptor

I'm old and I'm not happy. Everything today is improved and I don't like it. I hate it! In my day we didn't have hair dryers. If you wanted to blow dry your hair you stood outside during a hurricane. Your hair was dry but you had a sharp piece of wood driven clear through your skull and that's the way it was and you liked it! You loved it. Whoopee, I'm a human head-kabob.

We didn't have Manoxidol and Hair Wings. In my day, if your hair started falling out when you were 16, by 19 you were a bald freak. There was nothing you could do about it. Children would spit at you and nobody would mate with you so you couldn't pass on your disgusting baldness genes. You were a public menace, a crome dome by age 20 and that's the way it was and we liked it! We loved it. Hallelujiah, look at me, I'm a bald freak! Oh, happy day! Not like today, everybody feeling good about themselves. I hate it!

In my day we didn't have these thin latex condoms. So you could enjoy sexual pleasure. In my day there was only one kind of condom. You took a rabbit skin and wrapped around your privates and tied it off with a bungee cord and you couldn't feel nothing! And half the time you didn't even know your partner was there. And we used the same one over and over again! 'Cause we were ignorant morons! Just a bunch of hairless, head-kabobs standing around with rabbit skins on our dinks and that's the way we liked it!

($1 to Dana Carvey)

Man, I loved that character!

I used to drive a 1980 Honda Civic. What a fun car to drive. Ran like a champ. Never quit on me. Didn't have A/C, but I didn't care. I lived at the beach. Low maintenance, low cost/mile to maintain.

Drove it to Dallas from Huntington Beach for finals in 1991. Fried my ### off, but I liked the 40+ MPG.

Moved to Phoenix. Winters, no prob. Summers....replaced it with a Chevy S-10 Blazer with cold, cold A/C. Missed the fun driving, missed the high MPG, didn't miss the hot air blowing through the vents, didn't miss sweating.

In that case change was preferred. Was it necessary? Maybe not. I liked some of the other bells and whistles that weren't on the plain-wrap Honda. Better sound system, cruise control, higher profile in semi flash flood conditions, more room for stuff. (I used to put the whole battery for SoCal Dream in the back.) Nice, but not necessary.

With gas at $4.00+, sometimes I really miss that Honda. Does that mean I'm a dinosaur?

Sometimes practicality wins.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm SOOOO Happy I got to read this topic before bed. I laughed so hard I cried! "Dinosour rawr!" HAHAHA Hella funny. I aged out in 06 so I guess i'm a baby Dino. Drum corps has been going down hill fast right after 2003, I knew DCI would fall, they should have left things how they were in 02. I'm Just happy I got to march the good years and so should all the other dinos out there. Nobody gives a crap about any corps unless they are in the top 6 or 7 all plugged in and electronic, and I hear corps can have up to 150 now..... ONE FIFTY! All the more reason for that one kid who was gonna go do Mandarins or Pioneer to say "F the Small corps, BD has more room now and I can go plug a cord in my butt and be on ESPN" I say good luck to the little guys who only have maybe 2 or 3 years before they join Southwind, Seattle, Magic of Orlando, Esperanza, KK, and Capitol Regiment..... may they rest in peace.

You must have seen my shirt with the Brontosaurus(sp) on it. :rolleyes: Actually my other long term interest is old cars and auto assorted item. The shirt is from Sinclair gas whose logo has a dinosaur. Also have some of the plasticine dinos from the 1965 NY Worlds Fair (Sinclair Gas' exhibit).

And yeah I did wear it to a corps show. :worthy:

To quote Stewie, "You're funny."