Santa Clara's Show

I think 3hree has the greatest potential of any other show right now. If they clean this thing up the Championship could be in their hands...im just sayin...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found out last night that the closer wasn't on the field until now because THERE WAS NO DRILL WRITTEN. I think Pete Weber does an excellent job in writing the drill, but come on. Really? That has little to nothing to do with the rehearsal site. To me that falls in the hands of one person.

I found out last night that the closer wasn't on the field until now because THERE WAS NO DRILL WRITTEN. I think Pete Weber does an excellent job in writing the drill, but come on. Really? That has little to nothing to do with the rehearsal site. To me that falls in the hands of one person.

The writing style of the drill in the closer doesn't look the same as the other portions of the show. Did Pete Weber even write the closer?

Edited by LincolnV

Hey guys ...

Lovin' the Vanguard this year, and I think Weber/Poulan's packages are to die for! I read this quote on the dci site this afternoon from ceo Jeff Feidler ...

“We still have a few things up our sleeve and those will be coming in the next couple of weeks, so you’ll have to wait and see what happens.”

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=9...33-60252d29009b

Wonder if those will be coming hard at us on the music or visual ends, or if we're lucky, both! All I know is I'll be waiting for the chance to yellll VANGuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrdddddddddd!!!!!! Loud and PROUD!!!!!!

Good morning -

Spoke to several Vanguard folks who said the "Vanguard!" yell is not in yet. So, we didn't miss it.

Instead - the part where the guard does finger snapping and clapping? I get the impression that the audience should be contributing here as it would be rather effective echoing around the stadium.

OK, I've been reading a lot of negativity surrounding SCV's closer.... Last night was my first viewing of it and I admit I was left a little flat by the very end, but all in all I thought the closer as a whole was very intriguing and well written. We all know that the "finale" of a top tier (actually for most tiers now-a-days) doesn't come until the final weeks of the season.... SCV is in fine shape. All they have to do is add the tag ending and tweek a couple things here and there and they'll be in the thick of the hunt.

OK, I've been reading a lot of negativity surrounding SCV's closer.... Last night was my first viewing of it and I admit I was left a little flat by the very end, but all in all I thought the closer as a whole was very intriguing and well written. We all know that the "finale" of a top tier (actually for most tiers now-a-days) doesn't come until the final weeks of the season.... SCV is in fine shape. All they have to do is add the tag ending and tweek a couple things here and there and they'll be in the thick of the hunt.

Their show is already borderline 12 minutes so I am assuming that they are either going to speed up cloud burst or shorten it up to add their tag ending or "real" closer.

Their show is already borderline 12 minutes so I am assuming that they are either going to speed up cloud burst or shorten it up to add their tag ending or "real" closer.

That's what wound up happening in 2006 and 2007. Key went in, hit the "delete" button, and shaved about 1-2 minutes off the music, we changed the major portions of the drill and added on tag endings. The good thing is, I really don't think this year's show needs the kind of overhaul that the last two years got. The closer DEFINITELY needs some work, but I have a feeling this show is going to be dynamite come august.

Edited by aggietrumpet327

That's what wound up happening in 2006 and 2007. Key went in, hit the "delete" button, and shaved about 1-2 minutes off the music, we changed the major portions of the drill and added on tag endings. The good thing is, I really don't think this year's show needs the kind of overhaul that the last two years got. The closer DEFINITELY needs some work, but I have a feeling this show is going to be dynamite come august.

I am guessing by "we" you are saying that you were involved in the 06-07 Corps?

If so, :tongue: :tongue: :tongue::worthy:

Yeah, I agree that the only part that needs work is the closer... Cloudburst lasts a little too long IMO so it's obvious to me that they will probably shorten that up. Just reading all of the reviews dictates, the consensus us that the first two movements are some of the best in the activity and the closer needs a lot of work.

Too bad I won't be able to see anymore shows live in person. Drum corps is something that you simply MUST see live. Online videos and DVDs just do not do it justice at all unless you have one of those freakishly 4-D type Surround Sound systems with an IMAX sized screen :).

One question.... Who generally has the power to overwrite? Visual Designer overwrites Music Arranger or Music Arranger overwrites Visual Designer? I guess it's one of those "Which c[omes] first, the chicken or the egg or in my case, the music or the drill?

One question.... Who generally has the power to overwrite? Visual Designer overwrites Music Arranger or Music Arranger overwrites Visual Designer? I guess it's one of those "Which c[omes] first, the chicken or the egg or in my case, the music or the drill?

I marched part of the season in 06, but wound up coming home due to an injury. Stupid never-stopping hard as crap perpetual motion pete weber drill that's impossible to march on one leg... :tongue: BUT I came back and aged out in 07 :tongue:

I'm sure every design staff works a little differently. As far as SCV goes, we used to joke that Denise Bonfiglio was pulling ALL the strings. Heh. Honestly, I couldn't really tell you exactly how the design team goes about making major decisions or changes. I do know that Mike McCool is the official program coordinator, but I'm not really sure how involved he gets in the whole process. Each year, as the season progressed, the design team and caption heads would have these super-secret meetings (where apparently in addition to making changes to the current show, they planned out the shows for like the next ten years or something). Sometimes we would know about the coming changes in advance, then other times there would be the random day when Key would come in and run the rehearsal and make music changes left and right. I'm sure that's probably how it works a lot of places, though. There are always going to be things that just come out way differently on the field than on paper, and you have to tweak.

I'm fairy confident that the product that SCV has come August is going to be vastly improved. I'm really enjoying getting to keep track of how everybody's shows are evolving with the fan network. And I can't WAIT till the corps all roll through Texas and I get to see everyone LIVE! Maybe we'll have found a place for the Vanguard yell by then? :tongue:

Edited by aggietrumpet327