I saw a drum corps rehearsal today...

Please tell me how a push-up ever made you play your instrument better?

I employ the push up in my rehearsals as an opportunity for you to improve yourself after you make a mistake. You earn the chance to strengthen your body while you think about the mistake you just made, dramatically lessening the chance that you will make the same mistake again.

A strong body makes for a strong mind.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was marching we had heard that Tom Float said that push ups ruined drummers' chops. Any truth to that? (That Tom said that and if it really ruins chops.)

Are you sure?! Even my band rehearsals aren't that lax. Was this really from an upper tier drum corps?

My high school band (especially the drum line) was a lot more intense than my corps experience. I was actually kind of surprised how "laid back" corps was compared to my HS band.

I know what you mean. I fail to see the "pushup-as-punishment" thing as having any value at all. The band I teach does a warmup and conditioning routine at the start of each rehearsal, but as for punishment? Nope.

The corps that the OP saw is currently ranked 3rd in the country in Open Class, 1st in percussion in Open Class, and 1st in brass in Open Class. It is my opinion that his worry was misplaced, and that some of his perceptions may have been inaccurate.

The corps that the OP saw has an unfinished show in which the corps simply stops playing and walks off the field. They did this at the July 8th show in Hillsboro Oregon, and STILL won their division. Yet, the Velvet knights were better and wayyyyyyyyyy more entertaining (especially the Thriller dance) and took 2nd. The Spokane thunder had a full show and a tight, yet small, hornline and took 3rd. There seemed to be some politics going on.

I know what you mean. I fail to see the "pushup-as-punishment" thing as having any value at all. The band I teach does a warmup and conditioning routine at the start of each rehearsal, but as for punishment? Nope.

The only value I've ever seen in pushups-as-punishment is when the members choose themselves to do the pushups. IOW, if an instructor/DM orders someone to do some pushups, then I don't see much of a point. If a member knows he/she screwed up, and does some pushups because of it, then I've seen them work as a sort of mental note; a bit of self-inflicted discomfort that nails down the desire to not make that mistake again.

Plus it's not terrible for holding up a horn. And it's always amazed me how many soprano players have trouble with that. :tongue:

The only value I've ever seen in pushups-as-punishment is when the members choose themselves to do the pushups. IOW, if an instructor/DM orders someone to do some pushups, then I don't see much of a point. If a member knows he/she screwed up, and does some pushups because of it, then I've seen them work as a sort of mental note; a bit of self-inflicted discomfort that nails down the desire to not make that mistake again.

Agree...if a member is doing it on their own it's not so much the physical act, but what the person is thinking inside. Good point!

Plus it's not terrible for holding up a horn. And it's always amazed me how many soprano players have trouble with that. :tongue:

With the band I teach, we do conditioning at the start of each rehearsal to help build strength and flexibility.

I know what you mean...they have it easy (said the guy who played tri-toms and one year on baritone in The Cadets).... :tongue:

My bands don't need to be told, they just do 'em. It's not "punishment", it's personal accountability, a lesson rarely taught in today's schools.

The corps that the OP saw has an unfinished show in which the corps simply stops playing and walks off the field. They did this at the July 8th show in Hillsboro Oregon, and STILL won their division. Yet, the Velvet knights were better and wayyyyyyyyyy more entertaining (especially the Thriller dance) and took 2nd. The Spokane thunder had a full show and a tight, yet small, hornline and took 3rd. There seemed to be some politics going on.

Velvet Knights weren't done with their show either. They did the exact same thing. The OC (we all know who this is about) destroyed the other corps in music and visual performance scores... not GE. They paid for their incomplete show and concept but were rewarded for a level of demand and execution that was far above the competition. They did not receive scores that put them top 3 nationally from judges that have judged DCI Division I Finals because they were the home team. They received their worst score from the most prominent local judge, in colorguard. You may note that VK did win Visual GE, which would cover the Thriller dance. But the fact that VK did a fun dance has nothing to do with the fact that OC frankly had a better hornline and drumline.

OC didn't happen to be in full or half uniform when you saw them rehearse, did you? Because it wouldn't be appropriate for the corps to get down and do pushups, or even run back to reset in that situation.