I Still Get Goosebumps From....

1966 Cavies off the line with the ever imortal " BULLY " & " Somewhere " !!!! :smile::unhappy::devil::smile:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice i dont see any 1998 on here? anything special happen in 98? or how about '01?

I put 98 Cadets ballad on my list.

-Whenever I hear 27 play "Danny Boy" (It's like hearing the echo of a long gone friend down a empty hallway)

-Whenever I hear SCV play "Clowns" (Makes you want to stand and put a hand over your heart)

-Whenever I hear the Cavies play "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" (Something about it seems so optimistic and happy, yet reverent)

-Whenever I hear the Scouts sing/play "You'll Never Walk Alone" (The epitome of brotherhood)

-Madison's "The Way We Were" and "Slaughter on 10th Avenue" (1975 was a magical year. I wish I was around for it)

-SCV's Bottle Dance (Ditto)

-The "Once Upon A Time" portion of BD's Chicago III suite (From one of my favorite drum corps shows. Silky smooth from beginning to end, but this portion of the opener was just tops)

-Madison's "Though the Eyes of Love" (Madison had a tendency to take REALLY bad songs and make them amazing. That's the magic of the Madison Scouts)

-Garfield's "Rocky Point Holiday" (Not just for the tune, but for the drill that went along with it. Sheer brilliance!)

-The beginning portion of Garfield's '84 show (My favorite drum corps show to this day...that mellophone feature is just haunting)

-The End of Phantom's '89 show (Loud, in your face, classical music. That's pure Phantom regiment

-SCV's "Sabbath Prayer" 1992 (The way the corps moved through the whole volume spectrum through that piece just gets me everytime. Sometimes they were so soft, you could hardly hear them. Sometimes they were deafening; and ALL of this with G horns, might I add)

-"When a Man Loves a Woman" BD 1992 (EVERYONE knows about this tune, and it never gets old)

-Madison 1995...the whole show (Never have I seen a corps go 110% though the whole show. That one was just for the audience and they loved every moment of it)

-"Fight Club", Cavies, 2002 (Probably one of the best drum breaks from this century. No doubt that the dance moves will live on in drum corps history)

-"Cannon in D", 2003 Phantom (What is there to say about it? It's poetry with brass and percussion)

-The end of BD's 2003 show (Just watching those drummers go to town on those cymbals just makes you want to jump out of your seat and shout)

-Boston's ballad, 2007 (My favorite ballad of all time, from a very under rated show)

Wow. Awesome Thread!

75 (or was it 73) muchachos - the sop solo in Marianne (I think)

83 Bridgemen - Black Market juggler - The tenor lick, and the full corps after the pistol

84 - Regiment The End - Bells and Cannons and all manner of chaos. Vanguard the backfield in "Red Pony" before the push to the end. Blue Devils - La Fiesta. Oh My! Garfield - Pick a part. ANY Part

85 - Suncoast Sound - The lick. Freelancers - Bells (Blow my Face Off).

86 Troopers - last trip to the top 12 for a while. Blue Devils The push and the screamers Spirit - Georgia the lead solo into the first big hit. Cavaliers - Variations on a Korean Folk Song (first time I ever heard the word "sonorous used, Mr. Rondinaro) Mars and the Cymbal Line. Sky Ryders and Dorothy going home.

87 Vanguard - The End of Russian Christmas Music, Phantom Regiment - "AMEN" with the gong drums at the end. Garfield - The zipper company front and reassemble.

88 - SCV The Phantom running off the field, Madison, the 360 and Hi Mark time to the end. Suncoast Sound - The 3 most prolific notes in Drum Corps History. BD - The combo playing off the corps at the end, The opening drill to the Cavies Firebird. Phantom - Making up words to Romeo and Juliet (more of a giggle). Seeing my First finals crowd at Arrowhead.

89 - There were no good shows in 89. Keeding. I liked them all in 89.

90 - Carmen Dies, BD and the drum solo, Cavies and their DRILL. Phantom and the Organ. Crossmen and the New York Voices (closer).

I have more. But I'm tired. Thanks for letting me chime in@

I don't know what it is, but the start of this new season really jump started my love affair with drum corps all over again. I faded away a little in the middle of 2007 and stopped even listening to many shows, but this summer I've been playing some of my favorite on repeat over and over again. I got to experience all those great show moments I'd forgotten about, and as I pumped the volume up I saw something I hadn't seen in a long time... goosebumps! Here are some of those moments. I still get goosebumps from....

... the "anything you can do I can do better" section of Cadets 2000, especially the hornline trumping the drums!

... the Canon reprise in Phantom 2003! Glorious!

... the staccato horn hits, following by the pit accelerando in the Blue Devils 2000 closer! Such drive!

... the elasti-corps section of Cavaliers 2006! Such amazing innovation and creativity!

... Boston singing Con te Partiro in 2000! Perhaps the best a capella moment in drum corps!

... the pit feature in Blue Knights 2006, when the corps proper becomes a whirling dervish around the 'sorceress'!

... Bluecoats' opening 'heartbeat' sequence in 2006, as the corps fluctuates along with Brandt Crocker's introduction. Pure anticipation!

... the staggered opener in Santa Clara 2003, the ultimate call-and-response sequence as one side of the field answer the other!

... the opening hit, nay, the very first note of Madison Scouts 2001! Pure power!

... Crown singing "Seasons of Love" in 2004, followed by the re-entrance of the hornline! What a hit!

... the very last chord of the Cavaliers' ballad in 2002, when everyone cuts off but the high brass! Never heard a chord like it, ever, on the field.

... the sheer evilness of the first half of Blue Devils 2007 show. Picking a single moment would be tough, but the 'evil laugh' section when the drumline is weaving through the diagonal line of the horns would have to be it.

... the last moments of Phantom's ballad in 2006, as each chord progression doesn't quite resolve, until the last moment when the lovers come together!

... the closer in Cavaliers 2002, after the Fight Club sequence, when Melody, Harmony and Rhythm combing together and the corps just keeps pouring it on!

Those are the moments that have legitimately given me goosebumps since the start of the 2008 season, just from listening to recording that I haven't touched in far too long. I purposely stuck with moments from the past eight years to give this century a little credit, but I'm sure you've got plenty from the past century as well. I don't want this post to be about one era over another, I want it to be about celebrating all eras. Who knows? Maybe the moments listed here will cause you to fall in love with a show you'd never heard before!

Post the moments that still, to this day, give you goosebumps!

Only naming the ones that come to my mind right now.

2003 Phantom - The reprise of Canon in the closer. Every single time I will get shivers and the hair on the back of my neck will stand up.

2000 BD - The tag ending. I love it, I would have went nuts if I would have been at Finals.

1989 Phantom - The end of Largo, especially the solos.

1989 Phantom - The final chord of the show. As soon as I see the wedge kick, I want to jump out of my seat and cheer.

2007 Phanotm - Final chord. The drill before it was amazing, I don't understand how they play that well while moving like that.

1996 Phantom - Almost the entire closer, simply perfect.

1996 BD - End of show.

2000 Cadets - During the drum feature and the hornline playing on each others horn's.

1999 BD - The ballad was great that year. One of my favorites.

1999 SCV - The end of the second movement. That was just raw energy coming out of them.

Anytime I hear BD resolve space chords.

Anytime 27th plays Danny Boy.

There are many more that just aren't coming to me right now.

crown's entire '05 show

Most of mine are already listed, but here's a few more from "modern" times, some less usual then others.

SCV 99: The park 'n blow during "Blue Shades."

SCV 01: The backfield section of "Short Ride..."

Phantom 02: The big push near the end when I know they're still playing Shostakovich, but it sounds an awful lot to me like the theme from Stargate ;)

SCV 03: Drumbreak. 'Nough said!

Bluecoats 04: The 6/8 (maybe it's 12/8?) section of "Ride."

SCV 04: The company front on through to the end.

Cavies 04: The chord that seemed to ring forever at the end of the ballad.

Bluecoats 06: The opening contra lick!

Cavies 06: That moment right after the pocket trumpet solo when the guard throws up those gold flags out of nowhere. And again at the very end, when they form a box around a soloist, who does an incrediably high leaping toss.

BK 06: In the last movement, when the hornline marches in that weird, weird meter for a few moments.

Phantom 07: 1001 Airplanes percussion feature! (This one gives me substanially more chills then the 3rd song drumbreak for some reason. I think it's because of the pit.)

I've read some intresting theories about how and why we get "the chills" from certain kinds of music, but I can't for the life of me remember where right now. Or what they said.

So many outstanding choices...where to begin?

'80 Spirit of Atlanta - Let it be me (Power and raw emotion - Jim Ott had to be proud)

'79 Troopers - Ghostriders in the sky (How the West was really won)

'79 SCV - Surprise Bottle Dance (How did they catch all those babies?)

'78 North Star - Ole' ("Super Lip" at his finest)

'78 Guardsmen - Greensleves (Smoothness and power)

'08 Freelancers Alumni - Bellavia (What more needs to be said?)

Some of mine:

Madison Scouts 1988 - last minute or so... so much intensity

Star 1991 - cross to cross

Velvet Knights 1992 - the crowd's sustained intensity at the end

Star 1993 - buzz roll and the end

Madison Scouts 1997 - the hold with the DM pictures

Blue Devils 1999 - camera shot of DM's face toward the end

Boston Crusaders 2002 - the ending (corps makes the flag lying down)

Crossmen 2003 - ending, where the brass comes through the pit

SCV 2004 - the ending

Phantom Regiment 2005 - from the Eiffel tower to the end