Dissension in today's ranks.

"Discuss"? The problem with discussing this is that the old crowd knows what drum corps used to be. The new crowd has no clue what drum corps used to be. So the new crowd, who in no way can relate, blasts the old crowd. It's not exactly a pleasure to read some of that smack. Talk about dissension, wow.

How about the 'old crowd' folks who come in to DCP and immediately proceed to trash anything and everything the 'new crowd' is doing and loving in drum corps? You conveniently chose to leave those people out of your post.

If anything, the 'old crowd' folks should be appreciative of the 'new crowd', as we have "been there...done that" in our era. Sadly, that's not how some of them come across...this very thread shows that. We were at the forefront of drum corps when we marched (whoever and whenever "we" refers to), yet sad to say some of these people seem unwilling to appreciate the amazing performances and programs being presented today.

I saw my first show in 1964; I was a runner...swa Blessed Sac, St Lucy's, Audobon, St Kevin's, Garfield, York White Roses...I was just as amazed, if not more so, seeing shows in 2007...Cadets, Regiment, Crown, Blue Knights, etc....it's an amazing thing to me that we can still enjoy something we did so many decades ago.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the 'old crowd' folks who come in to DCP and immediately proceed to trash anything and everything the 'new crowd' is doing and loving in drum corps? You conveniently chose to leave those people out of your post.

Gee, I wish you wouldn't lump all of us old timers (really old timers like me!) into one bag of nay sayers and haters. Not all of us do. Just recently we helped a young Contra player get the money he need to be on the field with The Boston Crusaders (sorry, I always used the original Names; Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, for instance) I practically brow beat a bar full of Budweiser swilling South Florida Rednecks who had never even heard of Drum Corps before that night to go into their pockets for this kid. BITD they were our competition - they got no help from a Brassmen member - I'm still a person who would rather embrace the future and all it's surprises than linger on the past as if it hadn't actually past. - What's up BTW with people who do that? I ask. How it changes (drum corps, that is) isn't a real concern - what is a concern is that it's out there - perhaps an alternative to building a meth lab or something.

You know.

Puppet

What does the manufacturing company have to do with this? Unis were made by a few companies back in the day too. And no, they do not ll look the same, IMO.

For me some of last year's narration went perfectly with the show and created some amazing and exciting moments. Miccing the pit is not for the 'bells'...marimba and vibes in particular benefit from the mics amongst the mallet instruments. Also there is now an ability to use a wider array of traps, inc some of the softer instruments that would not have been audible without amps.

That is not why this rule was proposed and passed. BTW...DCA also permits any key instruments.

Music may be 'toe tapping'..or maybe not. It all depends on the piece being played. That's part of the beauty of music.

The uniforms are part of the homogenization. That's all.

It's all "in my opinion". You can have yours. I can also have mine. Also, I shouldn't HAVE TO SAY THAT every time I type something.

Edited by apoch003

I have been watching drum corps for over 50 years. Saw my first show at the World's Fair in 1964.

That was 44 years ago. ;)

Joke aside, of course there's dissent. There's always dissent, and always will be dissent. That's the way it should be. Without it, we'd all be boring, and so would the activity.

As long as I'm entertained and blown away, I couldn't honestly care less about the details of the tools being used to do it. I found Cadets' show last year to be boring and ineffective, just like I found Star of Indiana's 1992 show to be boring and ineffective, just like I found Cavaliers' 1989 show to be boring and ineffective, just as I found numerous shows from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s to be boring and ineffective. And on the other side, I was blown away by last year's Bluecoats show, which I found just as entertaining and effective as any drum corps show I've ever seen. The particulars of instrumentation and amplification and whether or not the guard could release their flags or whathaveyou doesn't really play into it, for me.

I happen to like G bugle hornlines, quite a bit. That doesn't stop me from being entertained by BD or Phantom.

edit: I knew I should've just gone with the short post! ;)

Edited by MoonHill

When the Nazis came for the communists,

I remained silent;

I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,

I remained silent;

I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,

I did not speak out;

I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,

I remained silent;

I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,

there was no one left to speak out.

These "minor" changes over the years have made too much impact, and too many people remain apathetic to them. The article quotes as drum corps being steeped in tradition. Yet, the Blue Devils are wearing uniforms from the same company that makes them for SCV, Madison, OC, Cavaliers and many others. It all looks the same.

I had no problems hearing the bells (the pit) BEFORE the advent of amplification. Yet, last year, the Cadets were actually TALKING all through their show. Which I found personally, to be VERY distracting.

Miking the horns now to make up for the sound of Bb instruments because G's were naturally louder? WHY? Just go back to the G's and stop messing with a beautiful system that's worked since the civil war!

And finally, I don't care how elaborate your music is... if I'm not tapping my foot to the melody, it's just notes. There's a difference! LEARN IT.

Well, I won't even get into the rest of the post (especially the emotional plea against fascism, communism, racism and what-have-you ism as it relates to the world of drum corps), beacause I don't want to get long and windy. And you are certainly entitled to like, dislike, support or boycott whatever brand of Drum Corps you choose. But can we please stop going on about how G bugles were/are naturally louder than Bb horns? There's no (none!) verifiable proof of that tired old argument. Were the Cadets and Crown not loud enough for you last year?

peace,

Fred O.

DCI, to me, is like that Uncle who comes over and always wants your little sister to sit in his lap.

DCI, to me, is like that kid who lived in the next block who used to tie cans to cats' tails.

DCI, to me, is like that guy who, when the interview is over, has a hand shake like a limp rag.

No disrespect intended (never!) - but yikes, those are some pretty wild analogies!

I thought the original poster's article was pretty valid as well.

regards,

Fred O.

P.S. My friends and I all loved St. Rita's back in the day; West Side Story, Three Blind Mice, West Point Alma Mater - great stuff!

Gee, I wish you wouldn't lump all of us old timers (really old timers like me!) into one bag of nay sayers and haters. Not all of us do.

Oh, of course not all do...I am one of the old timers myself...but there are far too many who DO deride current drum corps, IMO, and those are the ones I really can't understand. People who actually marched at some point should KNOW (IMO) what it takes to be a part of something as great as a corps.