Dissension in today's ranks.

Speaking of "world class"... I DO wish DCI would QUIT CHANGING WHAT THE CLASSES ARE CALLED! I mean... Open, A class, B class,... to Division I, II, III...to A class, open class, and world class... all within my drum corps lifetime. It's ridiculous.

This. This. A thousand times, This.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I express a preference different from someone else, it doesn't automatically mean I HATE the other person's preference. I'm merely stating my preference and anyone is free to disagree and that's OK. Why does it always boil down to when someone says they really liked and preferred the corps of a certain era, because of what ever reasons they list, compared to today's corps, the person that likes and prefers the opposite always assumes there is HATE and intolerance involved toward the newer corps and/or the person that has an opposing opinion.

It's like saying, "I really like butter pecan ice cream because I like the cold creaminess and the nuts and the salty and sweet mixed together"

and someone else chimes in,

"How could you not love the new butter pecan fudge brownie cookie dough with caramel, ice cream!!!!' 'You think only the old ice cream flavors are good and you hate the newer flavors because you're too old to accept change!' 'Well, get used to it because everything changes, or just go away and sit at home with your plain butter pecan, that is, if you can figure out how to use an ice cream scoop!"

This happens all the time. People with years of experience discussing everything they've seen and heard over many years, expressing their opinions and preferences. If they don't accept and glorify everything that's going on in drum corps today, then they're labeled as haters, old farts, people incapable of or unwilling to accept change, etc., etc.,

Seldom is the case that a person that says they prefer corps of a certain era and someone that prefers the opposite says, "Yeah, that's cool, they were good corps, but I prefer this DCI corps now because I like the newer sounds and style".

Then a civil discussion follows illuminating the plus and minuses of each.

No. It always turns into people taking someone else's preference as meaning, what one person prefers is intrinsically better than what someone else prefers and the first person must then hate anything other than their preference.

That is what fuels these constant bickering fests.

However, if it wasn't for all the misunderstanding and bickering, the posts would probably be much less, but maybe we would all learn a little something.

I agree, however on the othe side of that coin it's rare that a conversation here is ever "Hey I marched from XX year to XX year, and it was great" It's more " I marched XX year and that's the only time that was drum corps because the new/old version stinks." Wether it's old members who are trying to relive the glory days, or young people trying to devalue historic era's, it's still wrong IMO, and accomplishes nothing. And their are plenty of both running around. Now I'm going to eat ice cream.

I agree, however on the othe side of that coin it's rare that a conversation here is ever "Hey I marched from XX year to XX year, and it was great" It's more " I marched XX year and that's the only time that was drum corps because the new/old version stinks." Wether it's old members who are trying to relive the glory days, or young people trying to devalue historic era's, it's still wrong IMO, and accomplishes nothing. And their are plenty of both running around. Now I'm going to eat ice cream.

Indeed, there is always the other side of the coin.

Enjoy your ice cream. :thumbup:

My vocation is computers but my lifestyle is that of Valdy’s ‘Simple Life’. Upon acquisition of a home computer and a drum corps reunion in 2006, I reminisced the activity of my youth, drum corps.

I visit the site that we are not to name infrequently and can’t feel the music nor see visuals as my computer is slow. I have the Alberta All Girls CD as prepared for our 2006 reunion, the Kingsmen Alumni Corps CD/DVD, listen to both often and wish to obtain more. There are many discussions regarding G and B bugles. I’m not musically trained other than choir, but my exposure as drum major for 2 organizations from 72-78 inclusive, but not 76, allowed me to hear the sound from the G horns.

Found a news article on DCI March 12, 2008 called ‘Do you Speak Drum Corps?’ This answers semantics but I don’t know what a euphonium sounds like. I understand contra is tuba and soprano is trumpet, but if someone were to produce a DVD comparing G and B, with a short narrative about each instrument, with skilled musicians playing the instruments of the past and present, well, I’ll buy that.

I’ll assess electronics and amplification later, one step at a time for me. There’s ‘Young Persons Guide to the Orchestra’. Perhaps, ‘Older Persons Guide to Modern Drum Corp’? I had a bowl of strawberry ice cream today, sugar rush. :thumbup:

Let's look at drum corps today...what's different? Not really that much. All corps play horns except they're in a different key...BIG DEAL! They still have drums, flags, timpani's and malet keyboard instruments just like we did back in the day. The kids and all-age groups still march drills and march them better than we did. The kids are better musicians today than alot of the kids back in the day. Heck, I listened to my 1969 NYS American Legion LP and the intonation was bad. There was more vibrato than Dolly Parton.

So what's wrong with drum corps..not really to much except how the business end goes. DCI, corps management and staff. The changes over the years are looked at as good or bad. Our opinions vary BUT we all see and hear it and we all deeply care about the activity otherwise we all wouldn't be here on DCP.

Lets not put the young people that shell out thousands of dollars to be a Blue Devil or a Cadet down because we disagree in the direction of drum corps. The people that should be addressed are DCI, the corps management and the designers of shows. Designers want something to happen (they have an idea) they go to the director and then the director recommends rule changes...right?

The kids have nothing to do with all of that. So support the kids!

Let's look at drum corps today...what's different? Not really that much. All corps play horns except they're in a different key...BIG DEAL! They still have drums, flags, timpani's and malet keyboard instruments just like we did back in the day. The kids and all-age groups still march drills and march them better than we did. The kids are better musicians today than alot of the kids back in the day. Heck, I listened to my 1969 NYS American Legion LP and the intonation was bad. There was more vibrato than Dolly Parton.

So what's wrong with drum corps..not really to much except how the business end goes. DCI, corps management and staff. The changes over the years are looked at as good or bad. Our opinions vary BUT we all see and hear it and we all deeply care about the activity otherwise we all wouldn't be here on DCP.

Lets not put the young people that shell out thousands of dollars to be a Blue Devil or a Cadet down because we disagree in the direction of drum corps. The people that should be addressed are DCI, the corps management and the designers of shows. Designers want something to happen (they have an idea) they go to the director and then the director recommends rule changes...right?

The kids have nothing to do with all of that. So support the kids!

I don't think anybody ever puts the kids down. Most people do direct their disenchantment to the hierarchy of DCI.

The drills were different many years ago, so I don't think you can compare based on style, but I think that most corps from back in any day you choose were pretty good marchers, as good as any today. I know my corps was and there's proof on YouTube and all with a staff of 3 people - drill writer/instructor and one each for horns and drums.

The music and instruments were different then too, but that was part of what made drum corps special and unique. Drum corps were for the neighborhood kids that didn't have thousands of dollars, (our dues were 25 cents a week), "back in the day". All our shows were local and only once in awhile did we "tour" to Nationals. That said, I realize it doesn't make it better - just different.

Yes, we were kids playing music and doing a drill, those are similar, but that's it. That's all that is even close to being the same.

Drum and bugle corps, in my opinion is mostly gone. I don't think what DCI offers is drum and bugle corps.

Does that mean I don't support the kids? Does that mean I don't wish them well? Does that mean I don't enjoy the shows and think they are very well done?

No. I do all of the above. I just don't think DCI is drum and bugle corps, anymore. Whether that's a good or bad thing...well, it doesn't really matter, does it?

My vocation is computers but my lifestyle is that of Valdy’s ‘Simple Life’. Upon acquisition of a home computer and a drum corps reunion in 2006, I reminisced the activity of my youth, drum corps.

I visit the site that we are not to name infrequently and can’t feel the music nor see visuals as my computer is slow. I have the Alberta All Girls CD as prepared for our 2006 reunion, the Kingsmen Alumni Corps CD/DVD, listen to both often and wish to obtain more. There are many discussions regarding G and B bugles. I’m not musically trained other than choir, but my exposure as drum major for 2 organizations from 72-78 inclusive, but not 76, allowed me to hear the sound from the G horns.

Found a news article on DCI March 12, 2008 called ‘Do you Speak Drum Corps?’ This answers semantics but I don’t know what a euphonium sounds like. I understand contra is tuba and soprano is trumpet, but if someone were to produce a DVD comparing G and B, with a short narrative about each instrument, with skilled musicians playing the instruments of the past and present, well, I’ll buy that.

I’ll assess electronics and amplification later, one step at a time for me. There’s ‘Young Persons Guide to the Orchestra’. Perhaps, ‘Older Persons Guide to Modern Drum Corp’? I had a bowl of strawberry ice cream today, sugar rush. :thumbup:

The difference between a euphonium and a baritone is in the construction of the instrument and the difference in sound is subtle and only noticeable to a very trained ear. Sort of the same thing between hearing a cornet and a trumpet - most people can't tell the difference. I bet most people would also have a hard time telling the difference, sight unseen, between a G bugle and a Bb trumpet.

I think I remember being told that what is mostly made in America are euphoniums and in Britain, are baritones. I might have that backwards, though.

Edited by Martybucs

The difference between a euphonium and a baritone is in the construction of the instrument and the difference in sound is subtle and only noticeable to a very trained ear. Sort of the same thing between hearing a cornet and a trumpet - most people can't tell the difference. I bet most people would also have a hard time telling the difference, sight unseen, between a G bugle and a Bb trumpet.

I think I remember being told that what is mostly made in America are euphoniums and in Britain, are baritones. I might have that backwards, though.

hmnn... I would have said "about 10 pounds".

[sidebar]

It doesn't take too trained an ear to differentiate a bari and a euph, but the difference can be subtle. In basic terms, and talking about the marching horns regardless of key, baritones are analogous to tenor trombones, and euphoniums are like bass trombones. That's simplistic and ignores a lot of things, but it's a good rule of thumb.

Also what Apoch003 said. :thumbup:

I saw a piece discussing milk by Andy Rooney on 60 minutes this past Sunday. He stated the milk industry is concerned about the decrease in the consumption of milk. He discussed the wide variety of milk products available, then read all the ingredients in the wide range of milk products. There were many more ingredients than milk in the array of milk products..

To spare you of the details, here's the bottom line: If the milk industry is concerned about milk consumption, maybe they should consider going back to serving milk.

"Milk" could easily have been replaced with "drum corps" and the story would have come to the same conclusion.