Cadets explain the 2008 narration

Though RAMD is great for, say, viewing that 20-page long topic criticizing the Madison Scouts musical selections for 1994.

And for

1)finding out who can play notes so high no one can hear them

2) How many screen names the Rev. has

3) why Madison is wrong for not letting in girls

4) more REAL DC history than you cab ever imagine

5) a place that BSers were shown for who they really were without cards, flowers or purty words

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we all just take a second and slow down and appreciate where we are and what we've done, we'd probably be a happier bunch of folks.

I'm sorry, I really get my panties burned when someone tells me how to be happier. :ph34r: I'm the happiest person I know. I have a beautiful wife and 4 lovely daughters. I'm rich, through hard work that I enjoy. I contribute to charities, I donate my time, I've designed communications systems that support millions of people during times of crisis. I live a very rewarding life.

And, I think the Cadets show is rather disappointing, for many of the reasons stated. I don't HATE the show, just don't like it. It has NOTHING to do with slowing down, appreciating where I am, blah blah blah.

I'm ALREADY HAPPY. :ph34r:

, I've designed communications systems that support millions of people during times of crisis.

Well, at least we know you don't work for FEMA.

( rimshot )

Well, at least we know you don't work for FEMA.

( rimshot )

Nope, when I did the work, I was in charge of a public television station, after the 3-hurricane season in Florida in 2004. Utilized a number of technologies to give local emergency management agencies immediate access to sideband frequencies for rapid, sizeable content distribution (video, graphics like building specs, gps coordinates, one-way and duplex audio transmissions, etc).

Turned the designs over to a number of local and federal agencies. The environment has been duplicated in other areas of the country.

Yeah, but then again, when you are being called satan, compared to hitler, and the corps you have devoted your entire life too is getting trashed as they are on here you can understand why he would want to stay away. I don't blame him one bit. To say he should be able to separate the two, I say we some of us should be able to express our opinions with a little bit more respect and class from time to time. . .and I think most of us are guilty of it at times. That personal responsibility and level of maturity should go both ways.

Please. Do you really think Hopkins, who is attempting to advance his agenda to be the principle drum corps change agent, doesn’t expect to incite people? I fully agree that some DCP members and fans of the activity get far too personal when expressing criticism, but I do not buy his assertion he had trouble sleeping because of the criticism on DCP. Much like he said the members who are marching with The Cadets know exactly what they are getting into, he fully expects the “hatred” he is observing. In fact, I suspect he uses DCP as a barometer of how successful he has been in stimulating discussions, debates, and/or controversy about narration (among other things.)

As for the video, I agree with others – the man knows how to play the game. I enjoyed the video for what it is – a PR piece and a fairly effective one at that. By tomorrow this thread will probably be up to 40+ pages. The video did little to “explain” the use of narration; it is simply a vehicle to attempt to further “justify” the use of narration. I’m so over it already. They are permitted to use narration, feel the need to use it (and a lot of it), and aren’t going to acquiesce to those who hate narration in drum corps. Personally, I didn’t need a video further justifying the use of a medium that is perfectly within the DCI guidelines, whether or not I am for or against narration. I would, however, have liked for him to explain to me what exactly the musical selections have to do with the dialogue. This disconnect is what I found most perplexing when I saw the show in Clifton. I simply couldn’t tie the words together with the music or vice versa. IMO, other than the integration by use of the money and happy face flags, the on stage interview and the musical program/drill had little (if anything) to do with one another. I’ve yet to read an “explanation” for this that makes sense to me.

On a positive note, and maybe George would find this a redeeming quality of DCP, I had read so many negative threads about the show and the narration that I was absolutely certain I would hate the show. After all, I hated the narration last year. The good news (I suppose) is that I didn’t dislike the show as much as I thought I was going to… I know that’s not a ringing endorsement, but it certainly shouldn’t make Hopkins lose more sleep.

Nope, when I did the work, I was in charge of a public television station, after the 3-hurricane season in Florida in 2004.

[off topic]

Ah, the hurricanes of 2004. I remember that year vividly. Crazy times. Luckily, I lived in an area that was only minimally affected. That was beyond a rough hurricane season. Here's to hoping this season is quiet!

[/off topic]

I'm sorry, I really get my panties burned when someone tells me how to be happier. :ph34r: I'm the happiest person I know. I have a beautiful wife and 4 lovely daughters. I'm rich, through hard work that I enjoy. I contribute to charities, I donate my time, I've designed communications systems that support millions of people during times of crisis. I live a very rewarding life.

And, I think the Cadets show is rather disappointing, for many of the reasons stated. I don't HATE the show, just don't like it. It has NOTHING to do with slowing down, appreciating where I am, blah blah blah.

I'm ALREADY HAPPY. :ph34r:

:ph34r:

Good on ya'. Obviously the message I believe they are trying to convey will not apply to everyone. I didn't mean to imply with my post that every person on the face of this earth is a miserable, depressed creature.

And while I think you may be joking, others on this forum are not when they mention "being told" how to be. The show is not telling you to do anything. I look at it merely as food for thought.

I think why NPR's show is so successful is that it tells real stories told by the real people who live them.

I think The Cadets' failure is not so much that they are using the NPR show format, but that they are not using a REAL story.

This American Life states that it tells real stories, even if they aren't exciting.

What they SHOULD have done is to interview all the members, find a story they liked and have them tell that story, instead of making something up. It would feel more heartfelt.

Actually, it might be kind of interesting if they used a different person every night so the story was never the same.

:tongue:

The show is not telling you to do anything. I look at it merely as food for thought.

Synthetic or natural ?

Food for thought (IMHO ) is fertilizer, so to speak.

manure by any other name is still manure no matter who is spreading it.

( please breath deeply and TRY to understand my attempt at humor, no matter how bad it might be )

Synthetic or natural ?

Food for thought (IMHO ) is fertilizer, so to speak.

manure by any other name is still manure no matter who is spreading it.

( please breath deeply and TRY to understand my attempt at humor, no matter how bad it might be )

in less political correct terms...you can only polish a turd so much, and in the end, it's still a turd... :tongue: