DCI Rules

I've been a fan of drum corps going back to the Bridgemen but never really followed the rule changes until the debate over changing the key (? ,forgive me I'm not a music major) of the bugles.

Over the years DCI has approved a number of rule changes and I've seen calls to reverse certain rule changes like amplification.

I'm looking for help with a couple of questions:

1.Is the procedure to reverse a rule the same as implementing it ?

2.Has DCI ever reversed a rule change ?

3.Is it true that the committee that votes on rule changes is only made up of corps directors ?

Thanks for your help

1.Is the procedure to reverse a rule the same as implementing it ?

Yes - a one page form submitted by a corps director. Basically, you would be proposing a new rule that strikes down the previous rule and adding a new definition (which could be the same as the old rule that was supplanted).

Good question - I don't think so, but am not 100% sure.

3.Is it true that the committee that votes on rule changes is only made up of corps directors ?

Not exactly. Some are voted on by caption folks in the different meetings (brass guys vote on brass rules, etc.)

DISCLAIMER: I have not taught junior corps in ten years - it might all be different now.

Edited by randomnoise

DCI Rules

YES IT DOES! :tongue:

Thanks for your help

1972-1975, there was no limit on corps size. The biggest DCI corps at the time was Madison with about 135 members. In 1976, the limit was set to 128. Now it is up to 150. So, that is effectively a reversal.

well the water on the field rule has been "updated" not quite reversed.

The way the rules voting works is all the proposals (which have been submitted by anyone [anyone can submit a rule, doesn't have to be a corps director] by the date) are discussed in the instructors caucus...in other words, various staff members from corps get together and decide what rules they like, what they might want to change in the proposals, and what is complete garbage...they send those that they approve to the voting committee which is each of the corps directors of the World Class corps plus one vote from the Open Class advisory committee (they meet seperately to decide their vote and someone represents them in the main vote)

Edited by corps fan

The way the rules voting works is all the proposals (which have been submitted by anyone [anyone can submit a rule, doesn't have to be a corps director] by the date) are discussed in the instructors caucus...in other words, various staff members from corps get together and decide what rules they like, what they might want to change in the proposals, and what is complete garbage...they send those that they approve to the voting committee which is each of the corps directors of the World Class corps plus one vote from the Open Class advisory committee (they meet seperately to decide their vote and someone represents them in the main vote)

First off, thanks for the responses.

To me,DCI's set up for rule changes is akin to inbreeding.

Here is a radical concept,similar to what happens in government in N.J. where I live.

When a municipality wants to change a law (ordinance) it is introduced by an affirmative vote of the governing body.It is then advertised and before it can be passed into "law" any member of the public can comment before a final vote.

In the case of the State,changes to statutes covering various areas such as environmental regulations must be published and the public is given a set time period to comment before those changes are adopted.

I would think that a similar approach could be used by DCI so they could get input from a more diverse base before anything becomes set in stone.

Beyond the rule change issue,I also think that the DCI board of directors should include some members not directly invloved with the activitiy.This approach is used by a number of corporations,non profit organiziations and universities to provide a more varied and objective point of view on a number of issues.

It also lets an organization draw on the expertise of people in areas where other board members may be lacking.

I serve as the chairman of an advisiory committee for a local University and have been told more then once that the school really likes the fact that the committee can approach a subject "from the outside looking in ".

Just my $0.02

Now there's a novel idea...get the drum corps community (including fans) involved in rules changes.

In order for that to be fair, anyone who is not directly involved with corps management or affiliated with a corps directly would have to become a 'citizen' per se. In other words, if you want to 'vote on the proposition,' you would have to be a registered member of DCI or something. The rules would still be proposed by a governing board, but would have to go out to the members for final approval. Think of all the cash a yearly membership would bring in. They can set the price for membership.

Accountability to the fans!?!? It will never happen. DCI is waaaay too tightly controlled by the handful of elite. They are a private entity that makes use of a public non-profit status.

First off, thanks for the responses.

To me,DCI's set up for rule changes is akin to inbreeding.

Here is a radical concept,similar to what happens in government in N.J. where I live.

When a municipality wants to change a law (ordinance) it is introduced by an affirmative vote of the governing body.It is then advertised and before it can be passed into "law" any member of the public can comment before a final vote.

In the case of the State,changes to statutes covering various areas such as environmental regulations must be published and the public is given a set time period to comment before those changes are adopted.

I would think that a similar approach could be used by DCI so they could get input from a more diverse base before anything becomes set in stone.

Anyone can comment on the proposals by sending directors or DCI itself a letter or Email.

Anyone can comment on the proposals by sending directors or DCI itself a letter or Email.

The question is,how do you find out in advance of a vote what the proposed rule changes under consideratin are ?

It could be something as simple as DCI posting them on their web site a couple of weeks in advance of a vote,with the posting date set up and "advertised" in advance.

Then you would have the ability to write to a corps director or DCI with comments.

The question is,how do you find out in advance of a vote what the proposed rule changes under consideratin are ?

It could be something as simple as DCI posting them on their web site a couple of weeks in advance of a vote,with the posting date set up and "advertised" in advance.

Then you would have the ability to write to a corps director or DCI with comments.

DCI does have at large members from the outside world . These members do vote on rule changes. Before a rule change gets to the board it must clear the caucus of instructors of all the corps( world and open ) that send instructors to the meeting .

Rules changes are always posted online on dci.org prior to the meeting and usually discussed here at length. I know many people do write directors and express support for or against changes .

I have been out for about 4 years now but i do not think it has changed much in the process. Changes are debated ,argued , and often adjusted during the week end of meetings . The process does not happen in a vaccum and the result of the vote i believe, is usually posted on dci.org as well. I have sat in all of those meetings from 1984 thru 2002. The big changes were debated with passion from all sides of all issues . Each as strong as the other about what they believed was best for the activity for the present and well into the future.

As far as reversing a change . Some one mentioned in earlier post you may see a rule adjusted but not reversed. Nothing comes to mind other than some judging things have changed and been changed again for a variety of reasons.

But when it comes to things like G to B flat or any key ..Not going back to G only it is bad business for the corps and the companies.

Pandoras Box is open on electronics by allowing amps ....Look for more not less.

i would bet large they will not drop numbers back to 128 .

Hope this helps .