A few thoughts after watching the corps...

Carolina Crown

This is a fun, fun, fun show. Thank you, Crown, for giving us a vehicle that harkens back to the glory days for a lot of us. Melody galore. Someone say hi to Larry Shane for me, who is on staff with them this year. The drill doesn't seem to be as challenging as the other top corps, but you know what? Drum corps is supposed to be about MUSIC and DRILL together. The overall combination makes this show a very pleasing one.

I get the sense, watching Crown, that I am watching a repeat (not used here in a negative sense) of Star of Indiana, getting ready to rise from the middle of the pack to dominate in impressive fashion. I think Crown is making great moves, and giving us fantastic shows. I hope more corps start using their formula, and I hope Crown starts making more noise in the rankings.

It was weird hearing Claire de Lune, though...certainly brought back a ton of memories of conducting it back in 1994. I see this show ending in the top five...and I think it can catch up to the Cadets and maybe even SCV. Who knows. We get to watch the race, and that is the fun part.

Interesting! because I see this as not a Star throwback but as a Phantom tribute show. All of Crown's book, I believe, with the exception of Candide, has been performed by Phantom one season or another, and Crown even throws in brief PR drill memory triggers, I think.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting! because I see this as not a Star throwback but as a Phantom tribute show. All of Crown's book, I believe, with the exception of Candide, has been performed by Phantom one season or another, and Crown even throws in brief PR drill memory triggers, I think.

I didn't mean that I thought they were re-doing Star's shows...I just meant the general "vibe" that Star must have had around it in, say, 1989-1990, when you could just see that this was a corps that could do some serious damage, and it was just getting started. That is sort of the vibe I get from Crown now.

I mean...lots of people forget this because they ended up in 6th place, but Star was in serious contention for a top 3 spot in 1989 before they re-did their show (or at least, so I've been told). I think they won a regional that year too.

Would you really be making the Star comparison though, if you didn't know who was on their staff? I mean, we've had plenty of corps that seemed to be up and coming, from Glassmen to Boston to Bluecoats. I see an improving corps in Crown, and one that's consistently putting out enjoyable shows, but I don't see them contending for top 3 in the next few years.

I didn't mean that I thought they were re-doing Star's shows...I just meant the general "vibe" that Star must have had around it in, say, 1989-1990, when you could just see that this was a corps that could do some serious damage, and it was just getting started. That is sort of the vibe I get from Crown now.

I mean...lots of people forget this because they ended up in 6th place, but Star was in serious contention for a top 3 spot in 1989 before they re-did their show (or at least, so I've been told). I think they won a regional that year too.

They did win a regional. DCI Mid-America was won by Star ever year it was in Bloomington, the first of which was 1989.

Great review, Nikk. You're level-headed and fair as always. I found myself nodding lots as I read it.

Would you really be making the Star comparison though, if you didn't know who was on their staff? I mean, we've had plenty of corps that seemed to be up and coming, from Glassmen to Boston to Bluecoats. I see an improving corps in Crown, and one that's consistently putting out enjoyable shows, but I don't see them contending for top 3 in the next few years.

Last I checked, Larry Shane wasn't on staff at Star, and I have no idea who else is on their staff. I think I knew that at one point Leon May was writing their drill, but I could be completely wrong. And even if he is writing their drill, I don't think he was on Star's staff.

So, to answer your question: I am making the Star comparison knowing only one (maybe two) people on their staff. By your post, I assume that there are a lot of people from the Star years on their staff. I wouldn't mind seeing a list of staff shared by Star and Crown.

You are correct that Glassmen and Boston and Bluecoats all made runs at the top five...but I didn't get that vibe from those corps. Maybe it's the brass-first approach that Crown has made their run with. I disagree with you about their contention for top 3...as they keep putting out really well-performed and exciting programs, they are going to draw more talent. I could see Crown contending for top three in the next 2-4 years easily, depending on their continued and steady success.

P.S. I just remembered that Matt Harloft (sp?) may be on Crown's staff...but I believe he was a Star member, not instructor.

Edited by The Tsar

Hey, Nikk! Glad you are teaching honors chamber winds this summer. That sure beats shop math, eh? :tongue:

Oh man, it was a hoot! It was a two-week camp on the FSU campus, and I had these 15 kids all to myself. We worked on some great stuff, music by Hovhannes, Jacob, Persichetti, Ligeti, Milhaud...it was a lot of fun. I never taught summer school when I was a high school director, though...

I almost considered not accepting the invite to conduct this ensemble because I was worried I'd fall behind in my drill writing and music arranging for the fall slate of marching shows...and while yes, I have fallen slightly behind, the experience was well worth it. It's a good refresher to teach high school-aged musicians again after teaching college-aged ones.

I wouldn't mind teaching Honors Swimming, though. Tallahassee is HOT and HUMID right now. Bleah. Hopefully Athens doesn't get as nasty.

I wouldn't mind teaching Honors Swimming, though. Tallahassee is HOT and HUMID right now. Bleah. Hopefully Athens doesn't get as nasty.

I dunno . . .when I was down that way last year, it actually seemed a little worse than everywhere else.

Thanks for the reviews. No real disagreements from me, either . . .although I haven't caught the BD bug that everyone else has this year yet. It's clean for sure, but I don't "feel" it like last years show yet.

Great post as usual Nikk, but I've noticed some corps are missing that may fit in the mix somewhere. I'm guessing that it's just because you haven't seen their shows?

Edited by skajerk

Great insights, Nikk. I agree with just about every point you made (maybe except Blue Stars). I always look forward to your posts. You put a great bead on just about everyone. I agree with you on Crown, too. I've been getting that vibe from them for the last 3 summers now. I do believe it is the brass first approach. I hope they continue their rise.

Harvey