San Antonio

I'm bringing my band to the San Antonio regional. I know a few years back when I marched, in between the day and night show, there was a clinic going on or something....does anyone know if this is still the case?? I'm trying to avoid leaving on the bus and then having to come back and pay the parking fee of 50 bucks again. Do they let you just peruse through the alamodome between shows??

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they still doing the day and night show thing? Someone told me they were actually splitting the show into 2 seperate days. Could be wrong though...

Doesn't look like I'll be at the Dome this year...see signature...kind of busy. But I highly recommend and concur with the previous poster regarding local refreshments available. And if you have a friend who can pick you up (let the kids wander!), you can go enjoy a few...er, one or two. Then there's always Riverwalk. But I kind of imagine that place as going ballistic as soon as the show lets out. Mi Tierra across town is GREAT, GREAT, GREAT, too. Did Piedra Negra de los Noches last year--good stuff! Better with more than 3 people! And if you take 50 kids (school buses=sardines) that's $1 per kid per show parking! Nice to get away for a couple hours.

I know the drive there to Riverwalk is nothing, but has anyone ever walked it from the Dome. About how long is the walk? Also do a lot of people walk back towards downtown after the show or am I crazy walking back to my hotel (Hyatt Regency) at night.

Are they still doing the day and night show thing? Someone told me they were actually splitting the show into 2 seperate days. Could be wrong though...

According to DCI.org, it's a one day event...

The DCI Southwestern Championship at San Antonio, Texas’ Alamodome, is an established site where legions of drum corps fans annually travel to see top corps in action. Afternoon (prelims), beginning at 12:00PM and evening (finals), beginning at 7:00PM, will bring an entire's day worth of entertaining performances to those in attendance. Gates will remain open between the two competitions from 4:30pm to 7:00pm.
Edited by skajerk

I've always walked from the Riverwalk area over to the Dome. It can be done in about 15-20 minutes. There is usually a pretty big crowd of walkers headed back into town after both shows, so safety isn't an issue. You can also take one of the city trolleys that cover the downtown area, though I'm not sure they operate at night. Ask at your hotel about which one goes to the Dome.

I know the drive there to Riverwalk is nothing, but has anyone ever walked it from the Dome. About how long is the walk? Also do a lot of people walk back towards downtown after the show or am I crazy walking back to my hotel (Hyatt Regency) at night.

Here is your walk, (just under a mile)...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&...mp;t=h&z=16

Edited by skajerk

I think the show usually ends around midnight - on a normal night I wouldn't walk from the dome to the Hyatt but there should be hundreds of others walking the same route with you I think. Probably pretty safe. Maybe 10 minutes? I've never made that walk but it's pretty close.