PR Visual Rehearsal

OK - so when PR was here in AZ I hauled myself out of bed bright and early to drive out to watch their visual block in the morning while the heat was bearable. (Why is it that drum corps shows out here are on some of the hottest days of the summer?!?!)

Anyhow... I got there while they were cleaning drill. Everything looked like a normal cleaning rehearsal BUT, they didn't have their horns in their hands... because their hands were above their heads. A little more relaxed than a football ref would do the touchdown signal. They continued cleaning the rest of the block like this until they broke for their horn warm up.

Any ideas about the real reason they do this? This was my first time seeing them rehearse. The members just went there every time they started a rep - it looked so natural with them that it seemed like something they do on a regular basis. I can only assume it's a spatial awareness thing, but I'm curious as to the real answer... Anyone out there know it?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - so when PR was here in AZ I hauled myself out of bed bright and early to drive out to watch their visual block in the morning while the heat was bearable. (Why is it that drum corps shows out here are on some of the hottest days of the summer?!?!)

Anyhow... I got there while they were cleaning drill. Everything looked like a normal cleaning rehearsal BUT, they didn't have their horns in their hands... because their hands were above their heads. A little more relaxed than a football ref would do the touchdown signal. They continued cleaning the rest of the block like this until they broke for their horn warm up.

Any ideas about the real reason they do this? This was my first time seeing them rehearse. The members just went there every time they started a rep - it looked so natural with them that it seemed like something they do on a regular basis. I can only assume it's a spatial awareness thing, but I'm curious as to the real answer... Anyone out there know it?

Perhaps they were all European and the staff was on their way back with deoderant? I know...very bad humor!

:tongue:

Interesting. Maybe to help open up the chest to improve breathing without the weight of the horn? I know when I'm singing (practicing or recording, not live.) I'll put my hands up on top of my head to help try to get the pitch up (but I'm pretty sure that's not what they're doing).

Edited by skajerk

Good question, and I have the answer. I was watching them in Oregon and saw the same thing, so i asked the visual guy. He said it was for a few reasons.

1. squares there shoulders to the front side line.

2. helps the performers with there projection. IE: peforming up and out to the stands, and not down at the grass.

3. Opens the chest cavity to get more air, and expand the lungs, so when they do have the horns they have more gas.

Pretty cool, and I am going to use this in the fall.....

-Lane

Hey! I was kind of right! :tongue: