The Impact of fuel & food costs on Corps

Well, I guess I just need to resist the urge to correct people when they use words incorrectly. I don't want to be put in the same camp as the spelling nazis. I understand that this is an emotional issue, but words have to mean something. It's fair to say the economy is slowing or that "we may be heading for a recession," but don't make it more of a cliche than it already is...but if you like to do things like using double negatives or misusing words, be my guest.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fair to say the economy is slowing or that "we may be heading for a recession," but don't make it more of a cliche than it already is...but if you like to do things like using double negatives or misusing words, be my guest.

At the risk of getting involved in the recession-or-no debate, it's almost besides the point. People use the generic term "recession" to describe when the economy is in the crapper. Yes, it's technically incorrect but that's an issue of semantics. In any case, it's consumer confidence numbers and the CPI that are more relavant here. But debating that isn't particularly useful on a drum corps board. Call it whatever you will; the drum corps activity needs to do something to combat its effects.

Let's assume that the economy IS shown to be growing at a small rate for the next couple quarters. In that case, no, we're NOT in a recession. Does everyone feel better? That, of course, doesn't change the fact that gas is substantially more expensive than last year, that foodstuffs are higher and that attendance is down.

Now what?

Edited by Phillygwm

Well, there had been a push to increase membreship to something like 150, which requied another bus. Maybe get back to fewer members? How about fewer staff? Boy, I marched in the 80's and we managed with a few section heads and didn't have multiple staff for each section. There are more visual staff now than all staff combined back in the day!

Directors are now traveling in mobile home-type vehicles, and flying back-and-forth. What happened to the staff bus? The activity is for the kids, right?

Maybe more regional tours the first half of the summer, a shorter season, and then finals? The crunch is for those corps a real didtance from Indianapolis.

Bottom line? There are so many ways to cut costs. Drum corps will manage!

A few of years ago, I was on a flight back from a drum corps weekend and noticed a couple of caption heads on my flight flying first class. I hope their corps wasn't paying for it was my first thought. I know of a couple of techs who are provided with not one, but two RT tickets for the summer at the corps expense so they go home for a few weeks away from tour. I thought that was a waste. If a tech needs to go home during the season, their transportation costs should become their own issue. Another gal I know who techs took a bus to all days paid her own way and found out later the corps would have gladly bought her a RT air ticket. According to my calculations, it would have been about $250 minimum the corps was willing to shell out. If somebody is willing to get someplace on their own, doesn't that help the corps out in the long run? Somebody who I respect the heck out of is having a rental car and all his fuel paid for by a corps to tour as an advisor and has his own personal vehicle. I know this for a fact as he asked me to accompany him for a week or two, but I couldn't in good conscience. These type of issues drive me crazy when the corps comes around asking for more money because the reason given is, we are so poor! If this corps would work to use their funds in a much more efficient manner, they would see a lot more money from me.

Edited by bstar82

No, because the economy is still growing albeit at a much slower rate than we're used to. I'd wait for a textbook recession before I'd even think about chicken little statements like that. Feel free to bump this thread and call me an idiot once a true depression occurs.

yes, and the current economic problems are all in our imagination and americans are all whiners and if we just let the free market scammers stomp all over the average person things will be all better. sounds like ditto head thinking.

calm down. It's in your head if you think a struggling economy implicitly equals a recession. You have every legitimate right to be worried, but let's call the situation what it is and stop over using terms inaccurately for the sake of giving more weight to statements. The economy sucks OK, but we're not in a recession. Period. If you want to be a pessimist about the world that's your choice, but keep in mind it's the optimists who are able to face down and overcome obstacles in their paths. Do I want to find a way myself or do I want someone/something else to decide for me? You get to make the choice.

And what's a ditto head anyways?

Edited by Medeabrass

Recession or not, this activity is screwed.

the activity isnt screwed, but its definitely going to change, my guess would be that shows will be greatly reduced allowing corps more time to rehears and at the same time, relax. think about corps that travel back and forth across major parts of the country, a deletion of 1 or 2 shows could save thousands for the corps, although this year ive noticed a few corps remaining in the same location for almost a month, while others have traveled across the entire country to go against them. i do know that alot of the top corps have a budget set aside if something goes wrong so i wouldnt be too worried about it.

Changing it for any worse is screwed, IMO.

Why isn't this thread getting any more love? C'mon, people! Now's not the time to be ignorant.

:tongue: Please tell me you're kidding...and that you actually pay income taxes and read the news and buy gas and actually have a grocery bill and understand the value of the US dollar. :bluedevil:

Ryan, he's probably "just a Republican". They all seem to think in my humble opinion that nothing is wrong with the economy.