The Impact of fuel & food costs on Corps

I know it has been mentioned a few times, but I am a little surprised that there is not more talk/concern over the impact that the extreme rise in fuel & food costs will have on Corps. Without sounding like an alarmist, I think the cost of fuel is the current strongest threat to the activity.

I just read an article that helped me to better understand the crunch the Corps are facing. The Fort Mill Times had an article talking about Carolina Crown and in the article they mention how the economy is impacting them:

"The corps will travel 15,000 miles in eight weeks to 53 cities. In the caravan: four 52-passenger buses, two 53-foot trailers and three other support vehicles. One of the trailers is a mobile kitchen with workers who prepare 200 meals, four times a day.

"We absolutely feel the economic impact, from rising costs to less donations," Chief Operating Officer Jim Coates said. "It just means we have to work harder next year."

Coates expects the organization to spend an additional $50,000 to $60,000 on fuel alone. He's hoping to overcome that deficit by selling more tickets, peddling more T-shirts, hats and CDs, and soliciting more donations." (The full article can be read here - http://www.fortmilltimes.com/187/story/199234.html)

An additional $50,000-$60,000 in fuel alone? Jeez! Thats a significant amount of money. Carolina Crown is a very solid organization that is managed extremely well. I can only imagine how the increased costs will impact those Corps that are not managed well or have the organizational capacity to raise additional funds.

Given the current touring model, I'm not sure what the solution is. I don't think Corps fees can be increased much more. It's so expensive to march now - I fear that marching in Drum Corps is rapidly becoming (if it isn't already) a privilege for the privileged.

I do think that we have a responsibility to help the Corps - in a truly meaningful way. I have one recommendation - so many people here say "Support the Corps - Buy a TShirt - Buy a CD, etc..." Instead of spending $20 on a tshirt, I would encourage people to donate that $20. It will mean more to the Corps - and do you really need another shirt?

Anyone have any thoughts/insights/questions/ideas?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it has been mentioned a few times, but I am a little surprised that there is not more talk/concern over the impact that the extreme rise in fuel & food costs will have on Corps. Without sounding like an alarmist, I think the cost of fuel is the current strongest threat to the activity.

I just read an article that helped me to better understand the crunch the Corps are facing. The Fort Mill Times had an article talking about Carolina Crown and in the article they mention how the economy is impacting them:

"The corps will travel 15,000 miles in eight weeks to 53 cities. In the caravan: four 52-passenger buses, two 53-foot trailers and three other support vehicles. One of the trailers is a mobile kitchen with workers who prepare 200 meals, four times a day.

"We absolutely feel the economic impact, from rising costs to less donations," Chief Operating Officer Jim Coates said. "It just means we have to work harder next year."

Coates expects the organization to spend an additional $50,000 to $60,000 on fuel alone. He's hoping to overcome that deficit by selling more tickets, peddling more T-shirts, hats and CDs, and soliciting more donations." (The full article can be read here - http://www.fortmilltimes.com/187/story/199234.html)

An additional $50,000-$60,000 in fuel alone? Jeez! Thats a significant amount of money. Carolina Crown is a very solid organization that is managed extremely well. I can only imagine how the increased costs will impact those Corps that are not managed well or have the organizational capacity to raise additional funds.

Given the current touring model, I'm not sure what the solution is. I don't think Corps fees can be increased much more. It's so expensive to march now - I fear that marching in Drum Corps is rapidly becoming (if it isn't already) a privilege for the privileged.

I do think that we have a responsibility to help the Corps - in a truly meaningful way. I have one recommendation - so many people here say "Support the Corps - Buy a TShirt - Buy a CD, etc..." Instead of spending $20 on a tshirt, I would encourage people to donate that $20. It will mean more to the Corps - and do you really need another shirt?

Anyone have any thoughts/insights/questions/ideas?

All businesses (drum corps or not) should always review (as one area) payroll/compensation/related paid personnel perks, etc., as the first "fat cutting" area.

First priority should always be to take care of the membership's basic needs; sound and safe travel, good food, etc.,.......everything else is secondary. The members should always come first.

The shows I've been to this summer all seem to have lower attendance than in years past. Fewer people are driving long-distances to shows so fewer people are there to buy more t-shirts.

The one director I've spoken to about this mentioned that each visit to the truckstop with his entire fleet costs about $6,000.

The shows I've been to this summer all seem to have lower attendance than in years past. Fewer people are driving long-distances to shows so fewer people are there to buy more t-shirts.

The one director I've spoken to about this mentioned that each visit to the truckstop with his entire fleet costs about $6,000.

I've heard from a source close to DCI that tickets sales are down about 30% across the board this year from last year.

The one exception is the regional in Atlanta. That event has ticket sales matching last year's sales.

Well, I don't want to be "run out of town" for my opinion, but suffice it to say, it's FAR MORE bleek than wondering if corps can "manage" this. I'm looking at a bigger picture about the activity, and it ain't pretty. Ain't pretty at all.

Are people in denial of how serious the rise in fuel, along with a general downtown in the economy, is going to be on Drum Corps? The current model of touring CANNOT be sustained with these costs. There has to be a serious evaluation of how Corps operate.

How many Corps are going to make announcements after this year where they are "taking a year off" or "suspending a full tour" for a year until DCI does something? How many Corps are going into serious debt this year that will spell the death for them in the future?

I hate to be pessimistic, but if the Drum Corps community doesn't recognize one of the most serious problems facing it in recent history (yet alone propose and enact reforms), the future looks very bleak for Drum Corps how we know it.

Not just Drum Corps. Look at what is happening to the entire country. Can you say depression?

I seriously agree with the 3 above me, fuel is having a serious impact on us all and not just the Drum Corps community. Personaly, if I'm going to go into LA or some place now I take the train, just is too costly to go anywhere. For the corps it has got to be insane.

Diesel is insanely high and that alone is going to push corps to not fielding next yr or greatly reducing their tours which is why in the long run I have thought PC has had a great plan in place with the limited tour especially to help cope with the rising cost of fuel. Regardless, corps are going to have to evaluate how they pursue things and find ways to become more cost effective or this activity could seriously be in jeopardy in the coming years if our economy and fuel prices do not right themselves.

Edited by HPUEuph

How funny...as I was driving into my work this morning listening to the news, there is now starting to be rampant speculation that the oil prices right now are part of a "speculation bubble" that is soon to pop, just like the Internet and real estate. That might be just "light news" and meant to stave off the riots in the streets that are sure to come if fuel and food continue going the route they're going. But one cannot ignore A BANK FAILURE that just occurred. Do you think tomorrow we may be reading some interesting financial news as the stock markets come on line?

I'm no expert, and I'm not a doomsday prognosticator, but it's great to know that I'm not the only one that fears the "bleak" future of drum corps, at least in its current "model of operation". Some very smart individuals--LIKE ME--should have some "alternate methods" of doing drum corps tour and have them ready to send in.

Yeah, this is a huge problem that really could impact the financial aspect of corps. If the fuel price don't drop and i don't see any signs other than going up, I predict shorter seasons and more of a regional type shows where corps only travel for their US Tours maybe towards mid july.