The Impact of fuel & food costs on Corps

Why isn't this thread getting any more love?

Because the answers are not easy or glamorous.

Frankly, I hesitate to comment on this topic because my ideas may not amount to any more than an "I-told-you-so" at this point. What we needed was a renewed focus on parity, more corps, more local/regional competition, and being more inclusive toward division II/III - and we needed it ten years ago. I made my case back then to anyone willing to listen. Activity leaders chose a different path, responding to growing competitive disparity by increasing touring. Dissolving the regional circuits and creating the mandatory four-week tour (like the one starting right now) stirred the competitive pot, and kept people coming to shows....but left the whole dynamic vulnerable to fluctuations in transportation costs.

So how do we turn back now? My answers are the same - parity, more corps, more local/regional competition, more inclusion for all corps. But I think we have a greater likelihood of "drill here, drill now, pay less" happening.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the answers are not easy or glamorous.

Also because, I think, we're all pretty well aware that DCI isn't going to make the kinds of changes you talk about. They are selling "Marching Music's Major League", not trying to preserve the drum corps activity of yesteryear.

Ultimately the impact of higher food/fuel prices is that some Open Class and lower-tier corps with marginal finances are going to disappear. Maybe some of them will become regional-only corps, or join DCA or something, but more will fail altogether. I think we're at pretty good risk of a corps running out of money while on tour, leaving the kids stranded in the middle of nowhere.

The top corps will certainly have to cut some fat and reallocate some funds, but they generally have the financial base to sustain a national tour even with much higher prices.