Any scores from Clifton yet?

But the real winners tonight were the fans they saw a heck of a show from top to bottom.

This was by far the best regular season drum corps contest in a long time. Kudos to the Cabs organization for providing a tremendous BANG for the buck. Almost 4 hours of non stop drum corps. Food reasonably priced. Venerable Clifton Stadium played host to the 44th Grand Prix. The Bucs continued their amazing winning streak as expected but judging from what I saw, the activity underneath the Bucs at this moment is going to define the 08 season. No placement is a certain lock. I know people upstate are probably thinking Empire had an off night. I didn't think so. I loved the sound of this corps when they played backfield, somthing that I think is often overlooked. I never understood the GE caption. It's like the tax code. Lots of gray areas. The Hurcs had the advantage of going on after Fusion Core, who I think is getting better and better as a new corps. Empire followed Bucs. Disadvantage Empire. There was also a gusting cross wind blowing from goal post to goal post which played havoc with most of the corps that went on before it got dark. The Bucs once again showed their mettle. The Cabs also had a really good show in front of the hometown fans and I can see this show closing gaps. For those interested in horn sizes, Bucs had about 60, Cabs and Empire were close to 50, Hurcs were in the high 30's and Bush and Fusion were in the high 20's. Bush had about 35 in the guard. By the way, the guard trophy is gonna be one of the more interesting caption dogfights this year. It's still early and everyone will be full to their written show come Labor Day. As if that's not enough, you had 4 in your face G bugled alumni corps rocking the stands. Park City Pride, Bridgemen, Skyliners and of course the Cabs Alumni. Still not enough?? Jersey Surf and the Raiders gave rousing exhibitions from the junior ranks. Jersey Surf is on the cusp of the next level.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, the guard trophy is gonna be one of the more interesting caption dogfights this year
So far, looks like the ONLY interesting caption dogfight this year... Edited by VOReason

From my friends on the east coast, it sounds like their guard could hold their own with several of the DCI teams. Kudos to the Hurcs!

This is definately the best I have seen the Hurcs in a while, (horns, drums & guard) but its definately not a DCI guard. GOOD JOB handling that wind though tonight in Clifton it looked pretty gusty out there fro many of the early performances. A few tosses were taken right to the ground. Really a bummer to work all day and have those conditions for the performance.

I believe Hurcs took guard by only a few tenths tonight over Bucs (.3?) and Hurcs are spinning beginning to end. Although some of it looked like filler work to me. Bucs still have some sections they are not spinning at all on the field. Will be interesting once everyone's show is finished and cleaned.

I see CABS guard was wearing what looked to be recycled uniforms from the past. I guess all the talk on here got to them. Didn't get to see the original uniforms but what they wore tonight looked good.

This was a great show to see these corps on the same field. Can't wait to see where Renegades and Minnesota slip into.

I just heard that Empire got dumped in GE.........that"s im,possible. A new judge on GE????

............................................. FC....Hurc...Buc...ES...Bush..Cab

Visual Effect 1 Design Effect...70.....82......86.....81...80......84

Performer Effect.....................67.....80......85.....77...79......82

TOTAL (200)..........................137...162.....171...158..159...166

VISUAL EFFECT AVERAGE (200) 137.0 162.0 171.0 158.0 159.0 166.0

Katie Buelow was the judge, Looks like the "Performer Effect" 77 blew them out of the mix. Was it accurate? I wasnt at the show.

*IMHO

*This disclaimer has been added to my statement by my legal staff. Any statement made by me

or anyone resembling me cannot be misconstrued as a direct or indirect comment that could be

considered a personal attack on the first or second part of the third parts is parts.(I understand that this

disclaimer protects all of the moderators posts)

Edited by WayBackBuc

i have to make a comment on the hurcs. it's been a long time to see them as a top tier corps. back in my day they were a perennial powerhouse and at anytime they would win a show. it's nice to see them back at the top. i hope they can keep it up. well done hurcs.

wow that had to be a great show. a real barn burner. i hope there will be more shows like that.

Ladies and gents,,thats your top 4 in that order at the end of the season.Bank on that.

I think Minn Brass will be in the running for top five if not better. And who knows what Ren's can bring.

Now the Corps clean and who ever has most depth in their show will be there.

Edited by Peggly43

this could be a very competitive year. i do think that when the wash is dry the top 4 will stand. it will be a va ery bumpy ride for them though.......except bucs. they walk on water still.

It was the best local corps show that I've seen in a while.High entertainment value.Percussion for the top five was all very good.Fusion shows much promise.If they had the Raiders drum line, they could do some damage.The Cabs Alumni was fabulous;the best hornline of the night.Those old guys still have amazing chops.

The show was so great. I had a wonderful time, start to finish. Park City Pride was an alumni corps highlight for me. I've never seen them before, and the show was really fun. I especially liked the rifle line--that's exactly the kind of work I learned when I started. I was really pleased to see Jersey Surf there, too. I hear some kids from my high school (River Hill in Maryland) are marching this corps, which would never have happened when I was there because we kind of sucked at the time.

My thoughts about the competitive corps placement: Bush is going to improve the most between now and the end of the year. I really enjoyed the guard (love the jingles!) but the rest will be much improved when they get those new people integrated into the entire show.

I do think that the top 4 from tonight will be in the same order on finals. The gap between Cabs and Hurcs was small tonight, but I think that the Cabs will be able to widen that gap--the Hurcs' show was pretty clean while I think the Cabs have more room for cleaning toward the beginning of the show.