Hey Sayre, come to Endicott and do a review :(

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you go to the Lewisburg show and review that one too, in the same manner. It's just nice to see an honest non-partisan review.
Hey Sayre, come to Endicott and do a review :(

Love to, guys. But alas, I have a camp weekend with the "little corps that could" this weekend. We're working really hard to improve for our next performance the following week in Chambersburg.

VERY well done, Sayre!

Like you, I most appreciate reviews that discuss BOTH positive and negative thoughts from the reviewer.

Anything else is too unnatural to have real value.

Do it again, guy!

:blink:

<Side Note - To the staff members of the (insert any corps name here) who were sitting behind me at the show: please never sit near me again. There is no need to cheer wildly when the snares bring their sticks in, or the corps releases a note. It was loud, distracting and just plain obnoxious. Trust me… when the corps does something amazing (and they will) the audience will cheer wildly and let you know. ‘Nuff said.>

Excellent review,................the above is one of my pet pieves,...................the staff of any corps should be required to put a sock in it, and if you want a great place to give out a penalty, this is a good one IMO.

So... finally got home from work. I took some notes at the show, but I was seeing most corps for the first time, so my aim was to take in as much as possible. That having been said, a lot of this will be coming from my own memory. Also, before any readers get offended, I try to be fair and honest when reviewing other corps. A lot of sugar-coating means nothing, but being completely negative achieves equally little. You’ve officially been warned. This is NOT a politically correct DCW-type review. Just me spouting MY OPINIONS. Enough disclaimers, on with the review:

Foreword:

This show is a classic. When you first arrive at the show site, there is an immediate feeling of nostalgia. Maybe it’s the stadium, maybe the crowd picnicking and tailgating on the lawn, but you feel like you’re standing in a Norman Rockwell; all American drum corps in a home-town venue. Weather is beautiful. A little warm early on, but comfortable as the sun goes down. The Skyliner Chorus has just finished providing the anthem. The crowd is large and ready to go. Fran is on the mic, and Cecily is working the crowd for the 50-50. Everything is as it should be. On to the show…

Chapter 1

Raiders – Wayne, NJ – “Deep Blue”

18 Brass, 18 Battery, 7 Pit, 15 Guard, 1 DM = 58 Total (not including the major)

It is my understanding that the Raiders have had to put up with some issues regarding the rights to their show selections. This may have hampered their performance somewhat. I know they left the show shortly after their performance so that they could continue rehearsal in order to play catch-up for their next competition.

The first thing I noticed while watching the Raiders was that there seemed to be a real serious lack of intensity at the beginning of the show. Sometimes it felt like the corps was simply going through the motions. I’m happy to say that it didn’t stay that way for long. The cymbal line added a TON to the show, both musically and visually. The drum line began to pick up the momentum as the show went on and it eventually caught on in the brass and color guard as well. By the time they got to the closer, the corps seemed to be firing on all cylinders again. (I have to imagine that cuts in the show and recent changes were likely the culprit here.) I hope I get to see this corps again, because one they get the kinks worked out, they could be a force in DCI Open Class. They just need to keep the momentum up and perform, making especially sure to complete ALL of their musical and visual phrases.

Chapter 2

Park City Pride – Bridgeport, CT

50 Brass, 20 Battery, 22 guard, 8 rifle/cymbals, 3 A-Squad, 3 DMs = 106 Total

What fascinated me about Park City Pride was that when I closed my eyes, I felt like I was listening to a recording. It sounded exactly like the records I grew up with. I’m not sure how to describe it accurately, other than to say that they sounded like a drum corps from the past, rather than drum corps musicians from the past. A beautiful G bugle sound. Folks, G or Bb, neither is really BETTER than the other, but there’s just nothing quite like that wall of sound from 50 G bugles. The bari soloists had some very nice moments up front. The drum line gave an excellent demonstration of what rudimental drumming SHOULD be. Speaking of which… the guard had some tasty work going on in the drum solo. The files were a crowd pleaser for sure. There were some weaknesses. Some “iffy” attacks here and there. And the beginnings and ends of phrases need to be maintained. But otherwise, this corps is much improved since the last time I saw them. Two items of note: the corps’ rifle line doubled as cymbal players. The reason it is noteworthy, is because it was totally legitimate. Their cymbal playing was accurate and effective, adding to the overall musical and visual package, and their rifle work was exemplary. Impressive to say the least. Second note is the color presentation at the end of their show. I kid you not, it was the first, and one of the largest and loudest standing ovations of the night. Well done!

Chapter 3

Bridgemen – Bayonne, NJ

58 Brass, 19 Battery, 4 Pit, 18 Guard, 6 A-Squad, 2.5 DMs = 108 Total

I could listen to the silky sound of Bayonne’s brass all night. The arrangements fit the corps. And the corps fits the arrangements. It makes for a really sound program. The drum line was uber-tight, particularly by typically alumni corps standards. What stood out for me was the visual impact this corps makes on the field. The long yellow coats combined with the hues of pink and purple in the guard fill the field with color and life. The fade of color from the guards’ uniforms to their flags was a neat effect. It made it almost seem as though the flags were an extension of the body. Very cool. Of particular note is the 3 generations of drum majors on the field. I tell you what; I’d take that little kid in my drum corps ANY day! To be a showman at that age is a very groovy thing. Rock on, little dude!

Chapter 4

Skyliner Alumni – New York, New York

48 Brass, 23 Battery, 2 Pit, 7 A-Squad, 1 DM = 81 Total

The corps seemed a little smaller than usual, but that may have just been due to the tight formation they were positioned in. I was a little disappointed that I didn’t get to see the drill, but c'est la vie, mon chéri! The drum solo was a little scary. I’m not sure what types of mallets are being used up front, but the keyboard was nearly inaudible from the stands. I don’t know if the cymbals are trying to do too much, or exactly what it is, but there are some definite timing issues there. That’s an area of improvement worth taking another look at for the sake of the big picture. The contras made me proud though, especially during the “dancing contra” segment. I know Konga was up there bragging about how much better he did it. (lol – just kidding) The corps rounded out their performance with Elks Parade, and showed that old New York style they’re famous for.

Chapter 5

Fusion Core – Morris County, NJ – “Momentum”

25 Brass, 8 Battery, 8 Pit, 12 Guard, 2 A-Squad, 3DMs = 53 (excluding A-Squad & DMs)

In the opener, there is a very exposed trumpet/baritone duet. It is played very well, but is extremely exposed. I didn’t quite get that particular section. It felt like there definitely should have been SOMETHING going on in the rest of the corps. The horn line was fairly strong throughout the show, but needs to PERFORM. The percussion seemed a little tentative throughout the show. The groove up front is a cool idea, but ensemble unison attacks need to be locked in. Choice of implement in the front ensemble should be looked at. Eight folks are playing down there and there is very little sounding coming up to the stands. When I think “momentum,” my next thought is “velocity.” I would have expected that to be represented in the guards’ look. As it stands, I don’t like the guard uniforms. Mostly black, they don’t really add to the big picture, and the stripes are not flattering, especially on larger members. The show design is really neat. The conceptual part of the program is fairly sound, but the guard and percussion need to step up to at least the level of the horn line and all sections need to push together if the corps really wants a crack at what promises to be one of the toughest Class A Championship fights in history.

Chapter 6

Hurricanes – Seymour, CT – “The Journey West”

38 Brass, 16 Battery, 9 Pit, 27 Guard, 8 A-Squad, 1 DM = 90 Total (excluding A-Squad & DM)

Just as in they did in Virginia, that first impact just blew me away. The corps has improved dramatically on the “little things” since the last time I saw them. Feet are cleaner, body posture is better. It’s things like that that turn good shows into great ones. Having said that, I think the crew from Connecticut has something really special here. The show is really well designed; a complete package that is among the best out there this year. The larger and talented guard deserved top honors. The drum line needs to watch that their tenacity doesn’t lead o sloppiness. A few times I watched them flirting with that line. Other than that, a solid performance.

Chapter 7

Buccaneers – Reading, PA – “The Pursuit of Joy”

58 Brass, 24 Battery, 12 Pit, 22 Guard, 4 A-Squad, 3 DMs = 116 Total (excluding A-Squad & DMs)

If joy is winning a 4th straight DCA title, then I have to think the pursuit is over. Saturday evening, the Bucs faced the stiffest competition they are expected to face this season, and regardless of numbers, they are in a class all to themselves. Each of their would-be spoilers has their excellent parts, but only the “Balance in Blue” has the “total package” working for them. The tenor line is just out of this world. The front ensemble has to be one of the tightest pits in DCA history. The only detectable weakness lies in body carriage and feet. And even that is scarcely noticeable unless you’re really looking. (I was.) I had to think there was something to improve.

<Side Note - To the staff members of the Bucs who were sitting behind me at the show: please never sit near me again. There is no need to cheer wildly when the snares bring their sticks in, or the corps releases a note. It was loud, distracting and just plain obnoxious. Trust me… when the corps does something amazing (and they will) the audience will cheer wildly and let you know. ‘Nuff said.>

Chapter 8

Empire Statesmen – Rochester, NY – “Our Way”

47 Brass, 23 Battery, 11 Pit, 24 Guard, 3 DMs = 105 Total (excluding DMs)

I was disappointed with the results of the contest, especially considering the show put on by Empire. Crowd entertainment from start to finish; nobody does it like the Statesmen, and they do it THEIR WAY! The drum solo was absolutely kickin’. The corps really seemed to be firing on all cylinders. I don’t really understand how the corps that has arguably the greatest crowd appeal could get dumped in GE, but I digress… The only things that weren’t working for me was the transitions with the show tunes; (I liked the idea, but the executions just wasn’t grabbing me), and the smoke behind the picture at the very end. Don’t get me wrong, I love the picture. But the smoke was cheesy, and I think it could be better executed I the picture was in the middle of the field surrounded by the corps itself. That would touch MY heart a little more than silly special effects.

P.S. – The crowd always loves when the drum line troops the stands playing TO the crowd. Very cool trademark that I’m always glad to see.

Chapter 9

The Bushwackers – Harrison, NJ – “Gypsodic”

29 Brass, 16 Battery, 9 Pit, 36 Guard, 2 DMs = 90 Total (excluding DMs)

What I love about this show is how fresh and different it is. The concept is something that I’ve never seen in drum corps before and it really pops! Plenty of energy and creativity! Right now the corps is chock full of holes. History has proven that the Bushwackers can grow and come on stronger as the season comes to a close. However, tonight the corps had limited resources to back up the book. Horns ran out of gas fairly early in the show. To their credit, they never gave up. You could hear the fight to push through and make it happen, and that in itself is commendable. Kudos to the lone tuba player Saturday night. I’ve been there and done that myself. It sucks. But the guy was laying it out there. Rock on! The guard was ENORMOUS, but I was surprised to see so much dirt. Granted, there were some really tasty moments from the guard, but I expected something more solid from them. The drum line on the other hand was rather small, but executed very well. I can’t wait to see the corps when all the pieces are in place, because the show is one of the best I’ve seen on the field this year. And as soon as they have the guns to really pull it off, it will be dangerous. I think they got a pretty significant gift in the scoring tonight, though. Like I said, I expect it will get better soon, but it was not that close to Empire Saturday night. I’m sorry, but it just wasn’t… yet.

Chapter 10

Caballeros – Hawthorne, NJ – “Sketches of Spain”

45 Brass, 17 Battery, 13 Pit, 26 Guard, 7 A-Squad, 3 DMs = 101 Total (excluding A-Squad & DMs)

Thanks God above they changed the guard uniforms! After Wildwood, I kept trying to figure out what all the hub-bub was. Then I saw them. SERIOUSLY?!?!?! Much better now; and far less likely to cause seizures. Enough about that. The horns had some seriously tasty licks. The trumpets especially had great intonation and a dynamite sound. The brass needs to make sure they don’t run out of gas, though. The show feels a little “vanilla” to me at times. Although there are some nifty takes on classic ideas. (This year’s pinwheel is one of those moments.)

Chapter 11

Jersey Surf – Mount Holly, NJ – “The Jersey Surf: So Far”

63 Brass, 24 Battery, 12 Pit, 33 Guard, 2 DMs = 133 Total (excluding DMs)

With a big full brass sound and top notch percussion, any question of whether or not this group is ready for World Class should be put to rest this year. They have a mature sound that was missing from previous productions, but they still maintain their unique style. As long as they can manage to complete each phrase, I have no doubt they will be aiming for the Open Class gold this year.

Chapter 12

The Finale

The Hawthorne Caballero Alumni Corps strode out onto the field to do what they do best. Honestly, no one does “alumni corps” like the Cabs. Once Ponzo “called the bulls”, the audience was transported back in time for just a few sweet moments. When the competing corps joined them for a reprise of “Flamenco Cha Cha” the crowd was up on their feet. The home team really hit a home run to seal the evening.

All in all, a long but enjoyable evening. Well done, everyone, and see you next year!

Clifton Closer:

GREAT write up!!! :blink: One "Standout" moment was the "Take That Hopkins" comment blasted from a fan after the Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni conculded their performance!!! Great night of drum corps.

'Muchas Gracias" Caballeros!!!! :blink:

Elphaba

Excellent review,................the above is one of my pet pieves,...................the staff of any corps should be required to put a sock in it, and if you want a great place to give out a penalty, this is a good one IMO.

I agree, Sayre - excellent review. Let me comment on this though, and I'm sure you already know this, but for the people who might not...

First off, take it easy. The staff is cheering for things that the general public might NOT cheer for, because something probably happened on the field that the staff might have been working on THAT day, and it finally clicked...it doesn't have to be anything huge...it coulda been the baritones' horn angles that had been off all season long, and they finally fixed it in rehearsal, and the baritones nailed it in the show...so of course, the staff is going to be happy about that and cheer. They're not doing it to be rude, it's just a human reaction to something that you worked hard at fixing and it finally worked when it mattered, that's all.

Imagine you're on staff....there's this horn visual that has sucked for months and months...or a simple articulation that's been muddy for a long time...and you've been trying to clean it for a long time, but every time there's a show, the members of the corps forget to perform the fix correctly, and finally at a show, they get it right...that would make me cheer too. Right?

I'll give you an example form my own experience. 1998 Sunrisers...I had the baritone solo in the beginning of our ballad, Romance. Now, it was right after we had been running our butts off in Festive Overture, and I had to seriously calm my breathing down so I could play this mellow, sollen solo. It took me until FINALS to not breathe on one of the bar lines in my solo, and I had been getting flack from our brass staff about it all season. I finally nailed it at finals, and they clapped for me in mid-solo. You can hear them on the CD. :blink: That's all I mean. So, a long-winded response for a question that nobody asked. :blink:

Carry on.

I do understand where you / they are coming from. I've taught HS bands and had the same kind of situation occur and almost found myself doing the same thing. I guess I could just ask staff members to show some self control in consideration of the paying public. That's all. Because it really is distracting.

I agree, Sayre - excellent review. Let me comment on this though, and I'm sure you already know this, but for the people who might not...

First off, take it easy. The staff is cheering for things that the general public might NOT cheer for, because something probably happened on the field that the staff might have been working on THAT day, and it finally clicked...it doesn't have to be anything huge...it coulda been the baritones' horn angles that had been off all season long, and they finally fixed it in rehearsal, and the baritones nailed it in the show...so of course, the staff is going to be happy about that and cheer. They're not doing it to be rude, it's just a human reaction to something that you worked hard at fixing and it finally worked when it mattered, that's all.

Imagine you're on staff....there's this horn visual that has sucked for months and months...or a simple articulation that's been muddy for a long time...and you've been trying to clean it for a long time, but every time there's a show, the members of the corps forget to perform the fix correctly, and finally at a show, they get it right...that would make me cheer too. Right?

I'll give you an example form my own experience. 1998 Sunrisers...I had the baritone solo in the beginning of our ballad, Romance. Now, it was right after we had been running our butts off in Festive Overture, and I had to seriously calm my breathing down so I could play this mellow, sollen solo. It took me until FINALS to not breathe on one of the bar lines in my solo, and I had been getting flack from our brass staff about it all season. I finally nailed it at finals, and they clapped for me in mid-solo. You can hear them on the CD. :blink: That's all I mean. So, a long-winded response for a question that nobody asked. :blink:

Carry on.

Chris,

You appear to have forgotten the people without whom drum corps doesn't exist - and no, it's not the staff.

If the staff is, in general, being disruptive to the paying customer and causing that paying customer to enjoy the show perhaps a bit less than he or she might have, then they're not doing the activity any favors.

If a paying customer decides that the disruptions aren't worth the trouble, then he or she doesn't show up next year. And if enough people don't show up next year, then that's the end of that show.

Ultimately we'll be left with a bunch of staff members sitting in empty stadia cheering each other.

there is a happy medium out there. unfortunately i've seen all sides of the issue, including staff members who think taking over the seats of paying customers so they can get the best viewing of their corps. :blink: as long as everyone remains respectful of each other . . . novel concept at times but i can hope . . .

Look, when I go to a Broadway play, I don't expect the seamtress to become part of my experience through his/her obvious and vocal joy that injects itself into my experience.

Any sort of staff person can become part of the audience simply because THEY PLACED THEMSELVES THERE. They did not purchase a ticket months in advance, they joined the assemblage as a non-requested seat mate. They have NO place among the paid audience, but they're there, and they're an INTRUSION.

This has been a problem for years. Staff persons barging in, exerting their exuberance among persons who might not share the same opinion.

It's NOT welcome in most instances, and really is not a professional contribution to their organization.

Sorry, just had to rant. I've been bugged by this for many years.