How has winning a ring changed your life?

Very good. I did notice the first part of the show in Denver was somewhat "off", but as the show progressed, I suspect they got their lungs going. I had a hard time going up and down 3 flights of stairs at my hotel for a couple of days. :wub:

I won't be at SA, but will be a volunteer in Denton. Looking forward to the Cavies' sound there.

Back in the 80's, BD would spend several days leading up to the Denver show in Glenwood Springs, CO (there was a small exhibition show there judged by fan reaction - VK always seemed to win). Elevation there is 7700 feet. Being conditioned at almost 2500 feet higher elevation made the Denver show a breeze.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow....my name is up in lights....er.....post! <w>

My son chose to go to the Cavies after 3 years with the Colts because it had been his dream to experience that corps since he was a sophomore in high school. He loves the Colts, as do I, and he did not leave them because they weren't a "good" corps or that the experience wasn't fulfilling. It most certainly was. He left because he felt that if he didn't follow his dream, he would always regret it. He's a music major, and also wants to get a flavor of as much of the drum corps experience as he can for future reference (although that has minimal to do with why he went to the Cavs). He's very excited about the possibility of a win this year of course, but he was just as excited to experience the Colts making it to 10th place last year after so many years out of the top 12. I'm sure when it comes to age-out night at finals, he'll have mixed emotions, and will be searching for his Colts buddies. Those friendships will last a lifetime. It's a bitter-sweet thing to switch corps, especially in your last year.

Very classy reply :wub:

I always viewed what I learned to be the intellectual property of my drum corps. They are things I wouldn't have learned how to do on my own. Even if I "worked hard" to learn it, they gave me the chance. I would never have marched in my back yard or pushed myself to those limits chillin' at home in the summer. I always felt like leaving was no different from handing my horn over to another drum corps.

I understand that some people have a dream. Dreams are really important to follow. If you aren't happy where you are, you should definitely go. You aren't doing anyone good if you don't love it but stick around anyway. But at the same time, it is a funny/disheartening/odd (never decided how I felt about it) sight to see a lot of "top" drum corps populated with your former corpsmates. Where they go doesn't change where they came from. Once a member of your family, always. It doesn't make it hurt anyless to watch people leave. They are always your friends, but you spend significantly less time with them when they are marching somewhere else (duh). I always go visit my former corpsmates when they are marching elsewhere. But I always wish they had never left.

On the other side: A girl I marched with left Spirit to go march with Southwind. After the fact she said that Southwind gave her something she didn't get from Spirit. She said that she was happier and learned more there than she had with us. So, I guess sometimes it isn't ring chasing, it is just happiness.

*snap*

AGGHHHH!

My daughter loves to snap her fingers. It's a new thing she learned a few weeks ago. Now it's going to drive me even MORE bonkers.

:wub:

Aww...but i think they just cut that part a few days ago.... :wub: Im sure there will be something new to make fun of in the changed ending though :lol:

:wub:

Now that you mention it... At the Orlando show, I don't remember hearing that line at the beginning. Yet, the ending still had the snap. Right? Or am I totally missing something?

I guess I could just watch the video myself... :lol:

Now that you mention it... At the Orlando show, I don't remember hearing that line at the beginning. Yet, the ending still had the snap. Right? Or am I totally missing something?

I guess I could just watch the video myself... :wub:

Im pretty sure it was gone either way for future shows all together. Considering how ineffective it was, I dont blame them

Wow....my name is up in lights....er.....post! <w>

My son chose to go to the Cavies after 3 years with the Colts because it had been his dream to experience that corps since he was a sophomore in high school. He loves the Colts, as do I, and he did not leave them because they weren't a "good" corps or that the experience wasn't fulfilling. It most certainly was. He left because he felt that if he didn't follow his dream, he would always regret it. He's a music major, and also wants to get a flavor of as much of the drum corps experience as he can for future reference (although that has minimal to do with why he went to the Cavs). He's very excited about the possibility of a win this year of course, but he was just as excited to experience the Colts making it to 10th place last year after so many years out of the top 12. I'm sure when it comes to age-out night at finals, he'll have mixed emotions, and will be searching for his Colts buddies. Those friendships will last a lifetime. It's a bitter-sweet thing to switch corps, especially in your last year.

Well said "Mom"! Your son will get the same "hugs" at finals from his buddies in Colts that he gets from his Cavie buddies maybe even MORE so. Drum corps friends are for life no matter who and when you march. To me it's the drum corps experience that changes your life more than winning a ring.

Sometimes I think that I should have gone to a different corps because someone would put his dirty, stinky show socks in my face and ask me if they were either clean or if they smelled. :thumbup: (Time has dampened the memory of the exact words, but not the action or intent.)

I'm not going to name any names, but you KNOW who you are.