Serving alcohol at DCI shows

I was at DATR yesterday and noticed that all the bars on the third level were serving alcohol. I can't for the life of me remember in years past if I've ever been to a DCI show (local, regional, finals, etc) where alcohol was served.

Big deal or not? I'm just wondering if DCI should allow alcohol to be sold. Not that DCI fans are drunkards. But potentially a DATR show could turn into a Cubs home game and by the time BD or Cavies march, you have a few fans that are hammered and yelling all kinds of "stuff" during performances. JMHO.

You must never have been to Horlick Field in Racine.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must never have been to Horlick Field in Racine.

Aaahh. Kilties home show and the Mecca of the Midwest!

Kansas City, Buffalo, Boston and Denver all had plenty of beer. DC would have too, but we know how that turned out. Indy would have been a beer show too, but I can't imagine IU will be. Like anything - some can handle it and some can't. Some people are idiots drunk or sober, so I say open the bar and let's watch some drum corps.

Mike

Bill, you here?

I'm going to have to vote no. Not because I have any moral problem with it but because it takes the uniqueness away from the joys of marching in DCA where adult beverages are the norm, not the exception and for this I am grateful.

I think there are several factors that determine whether there is alcohol served at certain venues:

1.) Owner of the stadium. For instance, University of Wisconsin is a "Big Ten" school and because of bad behaviour, all of the Big Ten has agreed not to sell any alcohol at their venues so no beer at Camp Randall. BUT as others have pointed out, this does not curb the drinking, especially on game days.... one would assume (hope) that drum corps fans are WAY more polite than underage, over-testosteroned college guys. Along the same lines, one is not likely to find beer sold at high school stadiums (maybe in the south?).

2.) Sponsorships/$$$. Smaller colleges and pro sports stadiums can get lucrative deals that basically require them to sell booze at a minimum of events throughout the year. Although I doubt that DCI shows count as one of the required events, concessions of all kinds are the real moneymaker and as I understand it, drum corps fans like to eat (and drink) so they're likely to have them open any time it's possible.

Yeah, that's what I need. To be sitting in the stands, shelling out big money for tickets to hear some bitter, anti-amp, anti-three valve, anti-guard dancing, anti-Bb, anti-Hopkins, anti-hash mark remarking blow hard that's had one too many yelling his OR HER displeasures in my ear.

I vote no. If you can't enjoy life without a drink in your hand, perhaps you need to see a counselor about that.

Good call - lets try to legislate good behavior. :bluedevil:

There are plenty of folks who can enjoy life with or without a drink in their hand and don't need someone else determining when a drink might be appropriate. There are also plenty of folks who will act like idiots with or without a drink.